Welcome to the Rocks and Ruts Off-Road Powersports Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

1. Welcome Guest to the Rocks and Ruts Off-Road Powersports Community Forums. Be sure to register. It's quick and 100% free.

'16 Silverado

Discussion in 'Members Rigs' started by Hammer, Oct 2, 2016.

1. Hammer

Hammer Moderator
    Staff Member

My 2010 Silverado started consuming a bit of oil, turns out that the displacement on demand causes the rings to stick. I was just out of powertrain warranty at 72k miles and it kinda pi$$@d me off. GM was offering some very nice rebates on new 16's so I convinced the wife that I needed a new truck. The 2010 was the first truck I'd ever owned that had less than 100k on it (it had 32k on it when I bought it) so this is my first brand new vehicle.
    It's a '16 Silverado crew cab LT. It's very similar to the last truck, just a few more buttons to play with.

KIMG0936.JPG

It has the 5.3 with GDI and variable valve timing. It also has the DOD which I will turn off with a tune to prevent the oil consumption issue. 6 speed auto and 3.42 gears which puts the max trailer weight at 9100 pounds. More than enough to tow my camper or a couple sxs's. Integrated trailer brake controller, back up camera (which is awesome for hooking up the trailer) 8 inch screen which will project my phone screen for use with navigation, etc. It's not a Z71, but that's really only shocks and stickers. So far fuel mileage is around 18-19 mpg, but i haven't towed with it yet. I've got a trip planned in November and I'll be towing the Wolvy and a 4 seat RZR to Kentucky, so we shall see how it does.
    The only thing's I have done to it so far is put my tonneau cover on and add some lights under the bed rails. Under rail lighting is a factory option but this truck didn't have it. The kit from GM is $125 so instead I bought an $18 led light kit from Walmart. The truck is already wired for it to work with the cargo lamp switch and it has a blank connector near the spare tire. I have some old harnesses so I found some pins that would fit, modified the blank connector and hooked them up.
    Next will be a Rhino liner and some additional tie down points in the bed.

2. Hammer

Hammer Moderator
    Staff Member

KIMG0937.JPG

I bought from a dealer that i had never dealt with before, but I knew they had a bad reputation. However, they were the only ones who had what i wanted. Turned out that the salesman and I both made a mistake. The truck they had showed 3.42's on the window sticker, but way down on the options list that had been down graded to 3.08. I didn't notice until I had it at home. I called the next morning to tell them that I couldn't buy the truck because my camper was way over weight for those gears. I expected to get a bunch of crap from them, or at the very least an argument. I am very happy to say that this was not the case. Instead, they went way above and beyond to get me the right truck. They even told me to continue driving the wrong truck while they found me the right one.
    I got a great price on the right truck and they treated me well on my trade. I am very pleased with this dealer and the salesman!

3. NCMudman

NCMudman Member

Great looking truck!! I can't wait to get myself a newer Chevy one of these days. Glad to hear the dealer is treating you right as well!

liquid1 and Hammer like this.
  4. Timmi

Timmi Site Supporter

the 3.08 axle may explain the mpg. So what is dod? I don't know anything about Chevy, a used 1990 S10 was the last one I owned.

5. Hammer

Hammer Moderator
    Staff Member

This truck has the 3.42 gears.
    DOD is displacement on demand. It drops 4 cylinders while cruising to help fuel mileage. The problem is that when the cylinders shut down, compression also drops, not allowing the rings to seal properly. This let's oil past and since cylinder temp is down the oil doesn't burn off. Instead it bakes around the rings causing them to stick and causing oil consumption after a while.
    I can shut this off with a tune. Doing it now will keep the rings from sticking at the expense of some lost fuel mileage

6. Gaderider13

Gaderider13 Member

Nice Jack! I really like the new body style trucks. My old 5.3 turned into a oil burner too, i was losing 1 to 1 1/2 quarts of oil every 5k miles, along with a drop in oil pressure. Didnt have the DOD though.

Hammer likes this.
  7. Hammer

Hammer Moderator
    Staff Member

My '02 didn't use any with nearly 200k on it. The '10 was using a quart every 1500 miles and it only had 70k on it. Made me mad that it used that much oil with such low miles. Otherwise I loved that truck.

8. mudslinger828

mudslinger828 Member

Nice truck Hammer!
    I love my '14 LTZ. Nice comfortable ride and the fuel mileage is a lot better than my '01 that it replaced.

Hammer likes this.
  9. liquid1

liquid1 Member

Hammer are you sure the controls on the dash want let you shut off the DOD . Unless its changed a friends 2013 has that option he keeps it shut off. For reasons you stated..

Hammer likes this.
  10. Hammer

Hammer Moderator
    Staff Member

No, not unless this truck has a switch I haven't found, LOL

liquid1 and bluesmanjesse like this.
  11. bluesmanjesse

bluesmanjesse Moderator
    Staff Member

I'm guessing you have the knowledge and the tools to shut the DOD off no worries :97: Nice ride, matches the Wolvy blue too!!!:PDT_Armataz_01_37::Woot_Emoticon: