Welcome to the Rocks and Ruts Off-Road Powersports Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

1. Welcome Guest to the Rocks and Ruts Off-Road Powersports Community Forums. Be sure to register. It's quick and 100% free.

2008 Chevy Silverado 3500 Duramax build

Discussion in 'Members Rigs' started by Gaderider13, Dec 22, 2014.

1. Gaderider13

Gaderider13 Member

Well the last week has been busy with installing parts. First came the fass lift pump and beans sump install.

[​IMG]Untitled by Nick Wierzbicki, on Flickr

I was on 1/4 tank on what i thought was a 26 gallon tank, with a 6 gallon reserve. One five gallon bucket.... two.... three... four... and about half of a 5th filled up... Apparently i have a 34 gallon tank that only takes 20 gallons max from E fuel light on... which means 14 gallon reserve?! I was confused, lol.

The beans sump completely bypasses the factory suction tube setup in the sending unit. With the lift pump, using the stock suction tube, when the fuel level reaches 1/4 tank itll start to suck air and you run the risk of stalling the truck. With the sump, the fuel comes directly from the bottom of the tank, no chance of sucking air unless youre empty.

I then starting hooking up the auxiliary tank. Wasnt all that bad, just took some time wiring and routing everything.

Added a autometer 2 gauge pillar, to hold the autometer EGT gauge i have and the fuel gauge for the auxiliary tank.

Used colorbond interior paint to color match the passenger side pillar.

This weeks project will be to get the EGT gauge hooked up, and color match the driver side pillar. Shouldnt take me too long.

Hammer and liquid1 like this.
  2. Gaderider13

Gaderider13 Member

liquid1 and Butch450 like this.
  3. Butch450

Butch450 Administrator
    Staff Member

Holy Crap!!! You been busy I see lol.

liquid1 and Gaderider13 like this.
  4. ponti1

ponti1 Site Supporter

Wow great improvements! You are gonna spend more on mods than on the truck!

No concerns about the fuel system getting caught on something since it kinda hangs down past the frame?

Gaderider13 likes this.
  5. Gaderider13

Gaderider13 Member

Haha, really enjoy modifying my rides being atvs or daily driver lol. Coming to the end of mods for this year, have big things planned for next! Lol

Lol, intentionally why i went with a little older truck, the money i saved instead of going newer i can put into the truck and make it exactly like i want.

No worries or concerns, i may make a shield for the lift pump but i dont offroad with the truck. Most trucks it ends up being that low and never an issue.

6. Gaderider13

Gaderider13 Member

FInally got the chance to use the truck as the hauling rig a couple weeks ago. Had the truck loaded down with both atvs, generator, 15 gallons of gas, firewood, firepit, ezup and chairs, full of diesel (34 gallons stock tank and 68 gallons aux tank) and the camper was loaded along with a full 82 gallon fresh water tank. I was doing 12-13mpg pulling out to SSRT which was pretty good considering the weight! My last truck would do single digits just pulling two quads and a small utility trailer lol. Camper wet weight is around 9,000 lbs, plus everything else i was probably close to 13,000 lbs. Pulled it NO problems at all. Couldnt be happier. Also love the tuned in turbo brake. I can honestly say i didnt use my brakes much, except for when i hit traffic. In tow tune the turbo brakes pull hard, amazed with it.

Finally got to use the auxiliary tank, love it! I like being able to fill everything up once, and not have to go to a gas station for almost a month lol. Transferring is pretty easy, when you want click the switch and it transfers. Takes approx. 5 mins to go from 1/4 to full tank.

Have a few things coming, will post back when they arrive!

liquid1 likes this.
  7. Gaderider13

Gaderider13 Member

Last week 2 boxes showed up, totaling 200+lbs. Inside contained the 3/16" steel plate pieces needed to construct front and back bumpers for the truck.

I made some progress on the front bumper yesterday, got it all mocked, tacked and some finish welding done. Still have more welding to do, with some plating in the back (near the larger gaps from adjusting for a perfect fit) Hopefully next week when this weather breaks ill get the front bumper done and powder coated gloss black. Then onto the rear (dont have room to store both bumpers lol).

Front bumper will have 4 led cubes for fogs, and a 20" dual row LED combo spot/flood bar. Fogs will be wired into the stock fog harness, the bar will be on a separate switch. I originally wouldnt have added lights, but for what i paid for the leds i cant complain. No way id add $1500+ in rigid lighting that wouldnt be used all the time. These are chinese lights from truxtech, little over $200 for it all shipped with one harness for the 20" bar. Not bad in my book, cant wait to see how they perform.

[​IMG]lights by Nick Wierzbicki, on Flickr

liquid1 and BDSNJ like this.
  8. Gaderider13

Gaderider13 Member

Done a few things since the last post. Got the front bumper all done, powdercoated and mounted. Also painted the grille and the chrome strip on the hood. Looks so much better now.

Got the rear bumper all tacked up

All welded up

Smoothed out

And with all the holes cutout for the 4 backup sensors, 7pin trailer hookup, and 2 license plate lights. That was honestly the hardest part... glad i have a plasma cutter or id still be trying to get the 7pin cut out lolol.

(cutting through 3/16" plate steel takes alot of work lol)

liquid1 and bluesmanjesse like this.
  9. Gaderider13

Gaderider13 Member

Night shot right after getting the front bumper bolted up and the lights bolted up. The 4 cubes still need some adjustment.

liquid1 likes this.
  10. KEETER

KEETER Member

Looking good Nick, now you need to put the before and after pictures together side by side so everybody can see the transformation that has taken place.

Gaderider13 likes this.
  11. liquid1

liquid1 Member

Now that's spending time to build a truck like you want all custom. :08:

Gaderider13 likes this.
  12. Gaderider13

Gaderider13 Member

Thanks for the kind words! Its been a labor of love, i can honestly say i LOVE this truck, nothing but happy driving it. From the empty performance, fuel economy, how it hauls the camper and atvs. Cant wait to get everything i have planned bolted up!

Heres a picture from the day i checked it out at the dealership, December 16, 2014.

And how it currently sits November 4, 2015.

liquid1 likes this.
  13. Gaderider13

Gaderider13 Member

Little update. Since i mounted the rear bumper, i was having issues with the backup sensors not working right. Instead of messing around with them, i just got rid of them lol. I have a backup camera so i dont need them, plus any time you have something in the hitch they freak out. After looking around for alittle bit, i found LED rock lights that fit the holes i made in the bumper. I wired them into a switch which i mounted next to the switch i have for the 20" bar in the bumper. For $85 lights, im VERY impressed. For the size they throw alot of light out, definitely makes it easier backing up on those rainy nights.

I also finally got around to leveling and straightening out the cubes for foglights. Much better now that theyre all pointed in the similar direction lol.

Yesterday i added a curved 30" bar behind the grille, which i wired to turn on with the 20". Got this bar for $60 shipped with a wiring harness off of ebay, couldnt say no at that price lol. Overall the quality looks good, very similar to the other chinese bars i have. For the price cant beat it. I could have fit a 40" back there but oh well, if this one ever dies ill bump it up to a 40" lol.

liquid1 and JHFWIC like this.
  14. Gaderider13

Gaderider13 Member

Starting to collect some parts for underhood cleanup. DDP metal intake came in yesterday. Have a Banks driver side I/C pipe already, next up is a Pusher Ybridge/EGR delete. Have a set of DRP transmission cooler lines coming, then to to pick up a PPE Trans cooler. Come spring im going to a shop just north of Baltimore, Big Dipper Transmissions, regarded as one of the top Allison transmission builders. Getting the trans built, so i wont ever have to worry about it. Currently running on tune# 4, which is pushing my luck. I dont get on it hard which is my only saving grace lol. If i bump it up to 5 ill definitely limp the trans.

Getting all the underhood piping powdercoated by my guy, so everything is matching.

15. Gaderider13

Gaderider13 Member

Last week i pulled into the driveway and had a diesel leak... fuel filter head took a dump lol. Funny because i had filters coming to change out. So the truck sat for 3 days while i waited for a new one to come.

Took about an hour, wasnt too bad except getting the hoses off. Included changing the filter on the lift pump.

Trans cooler lines also showed up. GM is known to have a flaw with the crimp they use, its actually still covered under warranty if they leak. Mine arent leaking but when i get the trans built i want to start with fresh new lines. Just need to order the trans cooler and ill be ready for the spring.

liquid1 likes this.
  16. liquid1

liquid1 Member

Very nice setup, All them lights are e legal here in NC..:41: . A friends son just got a $250 ticket, I like them and I think theirs way to many laws .. Not sure about PA or NJ..
    http://traffic.findlaw.com/traffic-tickets/unlawful-vehicle-modifications-state-laws.html
    § 20-130. Additional permissible light on vehicle.

(a) Spot Lamps. - Any motor vehicle may be equipped with not to exceed two spot lamps, except that a motorcycle shall not be equipped with more than one spot lamp, and every lighted spot lamp shall be so aimed and used upon approaching another vehicle that no part of the beam will be directed to the left of the center of the highway nor more than 100 feet ahead of the vehicle. No spot lamps shall be used on the rear of any vehicle.

(b) Auxiliary Driving Lamps. - Any motor vehicle may be equipped with not to exceed two auxiliary driving lamps mounted on the front, and every such auxiliary driving lamp or lamps shall meet the requirements and limitations set forth in G.S. 20-131, subsection (c).

(c) Restrictions on Lamps. - Any device, other than headlamps, spot lamps, or auxiliary driving lamps, which projects a beam of light of an intensity greater than 25 candlepower, shall be so directed that no part of the beam will strike the level of the surface on which the vehicle stands at a distance of more than 50 feet from the vehicle.

(d) Electronically Modulated Headlamps. - Nothing contained in this Chapter shall prohibit the use of electronically modulated headlamps on motorcycles, law-enforcement and fire department vehicles, county fire marshals and Emergency Management coordinators, public and private ambulances, and rescue squad emergency service vehicles, provided such headlamps and light modulator are of a type or kind which have been approved by the Commissioner of Motor Vehicles.

(e) High Mounted Flashing Deceleration Lamps. - Public transit vehicles may be equipped with amber, high mounted, flashing deceleration lamps on the rear of the vehicle. (1937, c. 407, s. 93; 1977, c. 104; 1989, c. 770, s. 7; 2004-82, s. 1.)

§ 20-130.1. Use of red or blue lights on vehicles prohibited; exceptions.

(a) It is unlawful for any person to install or activate or operate a red light in or on any vehicle in this State. As used in this subsection, unless the context requires otherwise, "red light" means an operable red light not sealed in the manufacturer's original package which: (i) is designed for use by an emergency vehicle or is similar in appearance to a red light designed for use by an emergency vehicle; and (ii) can be operated by use of the vehicle's battery, vehicle's electrical system, or a dry cell battery. As used in this subsection, the term "red light" shall also mean any forward facing red light installed on a vehicle after initial manufacture of the vehicle.

(b) The provisions of subsection (a) of this section do not apply to the following:

(1) A police vehicle.

(2) A highway patrol vehicle.

(3) A vehicle owned by the Wildlife Resources Commission and operated exclusively for law enforcement, firefighting, or other emergency response purposes.

(4) An ambulance.

(5) A vehicle used by an organ procurement organization or agency for the recovery and transportation of blood, human tissues, or organs for transplantation.

(6) A fire-fighting vehicle.

(7) A school bus.

(8) A vehicle operated by any member of a municipal or rural fire department in the performance of his duties, regardless of whether members of that fire department are paid or voluntary.

(9) A vehicle of a voluntary lifesaving organization (including the private vehicles of the members of such an organization) that has been officially approved by the local police authorities and which is manned or operated by members of that organization while answering an official call.

(10) A vehicle operated by medical doctors or anesthetists in emergencies.

(11) A motor vehicle used in law enforcement by the sheriff, or any salaried rural policeman in any county, regardless of whether or not the county owns the vehicle.

(11a) A vehicle operated by the State Fire Marshal or his representatives in the performance of their duties, whether or not the State owns the vehicle.

(12) A vehicle operated by any county fire marshal, assistant fire marshal, or emergency management coordinator in the performance of his duties, regardless of whether or not the county owns the vehicle.

(13) A light required by the Federal Highway Administration.

(14) A vehicle operated by a transplant coordinator who is an employee of an organ procurement organization or agency when the transplant coordinator is responding to a call to recover or transport human tissues or organs for transplantation.

(15) A vehicle operated by an emergency medical service as an emergency support vehicle.

(16) A State emergency management vehicle.

(17) An Incident Management Assistance Patrol vehicle operated by the Department of Transportation, when using rear-facing red lights while stopped for the purpose of providing assistance or incident management.

(18) A vehicle operated by the Division of Marine Fisheries or the Division of Parks and Recreation of the Department of Environment and Natural Resources that is used for law enforcement, firefighting, or other emergency response purpose.

(19) A vehicle operated by the North Carolina Forest Service of the Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services that is used for law enforcement, firefighting, or other emergency response purpose.

(20) A vehicle operated by official members or Teams of REACT International, Inc., that is used to provide additional manpower authorized by law enforcement, firefighting, or other emergency response entities.

(c) It is unlawful for any person to possess a blue light or to install, activate, or operate a blue light in or on any vehicle in this State, except for a publicly owned vehicle used for law enforcement purposes or any other vehicle when used by law enforcement officers in the performance of their official duties. As used in this subsection, unless the context requires otherwise, "blue light" means any forward facing blue light installed on a vehicle after initial manufacture of the vehicle; or an operable blue light which:

(1) Is not (i) being installed on, held in inventory for the purpose of being installed on, or held in inventory for the purpose of sale for installation on a vehicle on which it may be lawfully operated or (ii) installed on a vehicle which is used solely for the purpose of demonstrating the blue light for sale to law enforcement personnel;

(1a) Is designed for use by an emergency vehicle, or is similar in appearance to a blue light designed for use by an emergency vehicle; and

(2) Can be operated by use of the vehicle's battery, the vehicle's electrical system, or a dry cell battery.

(c1) The provisions of subsection (c) of this section do not apply to the possession and installation of an inoperable blue light on a vehicle that is inspected by and registered with the Department of Motor Vehicles as a specially constructed vehicle and that is used primarily for participation in shows, exhibitions, parades, or holiday/weekend activities, and not for general daily transportation. For purposes of this subsection, "inoperable blue light" means a blue-colored lamp housing or cover that does not contain a lamp or other mechanism having the ability to produce or emit illumi

Gaderider13 likes this.
  17. Gaderider13

Gaderider13 Member

Oh theyre illegal here too... i just make sure theyre off whenever theres incoming traffic or if im coming up to a usual hiding spot for cops. Ive passed many cops with the foglight cubes on and never had a problem, knock on wood lol.

Yesterday the brown truck dropped off the 3" ybridge and boost pipe, which will completely get rid of the EGR.

liquid1 likes this.
  18. liquid1

liquid1 Member

Nice, will be interesting to hear about the seat of pants difference once installed.

Gaderider13 likes this.
  19. Gaderider13

Gaderider13 Member

liquid1 likes this.
  20. Gaderider13

Gaderider13 Member

Not much has changed since the last post. Bought a PPE trans cooler, new thermostats/gaskets, and new belt/idler pulleys/tensioner pulley.

Also last week called up Limitless Diesel Performance in Massachusetts. Put down a deposit and having the transmission built in my truck April 14th/15th. Having a full stage 5 build done, one of their built to spec by suncoast billet triple clutch torque converters. While theyre doing that having them install the trans cooler/lines, and also install the EGR delete/y bridge, upipe/downpipe.