Welcome to the Rocks and Ruts Off-Road Powersports Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

1. Welcome Guest to the Rocks and Ruts Off-Road Powersports Community Forums. Be sure to register. It's quick and 100% free.

2008 Chevy Silverado 3500 Duramax build

Discussion in 'Members Rigs' started by Gaderider13, Dec 22, 2014.

1. Gaderider13

Gaderider13 Member

Well its been two weeks now since ive had the trans in my truck done, and WOW what a difference. The truck is an entirely different animal now. Definitely felt like the trans was slipping before lol. Was a nice mini vacation, Evan was an awesome guy to deal with. Plan on going to him in the future for some other stuff i have planned.

Heres the backseat full of parts the day before i left for the shop.
    [​IMG]Untitled by Nick Wierzbicki, on Flickr

I also had a windshield put in by my buddy... ive had a leak now for a month or 2, since its been so dry i havent had much motivation to find it. Was a easy find though, as soon as I dumped water on the top windshield line above the driver, water poured in. When having the new windshield put in, my friend met barely any resistance dragging his knife, the glue separated from the windshield.

Parked in Evans shop. Wish i had working space like him haha.

How she looks now, with a 4" intake, SDP EGR delete with ybridge, and banks hotside intercooler tube. All i have left to install is new radiator hoses, which will be this week hopefully. Also putting in new thermostats, idler pulleys, tensioner, and belt. Along with 6 gallons of coolant lol.

Overall couldnt be happier. Truck feels completely different, woke it up. Shifts like it should now. Trans stays nice and cool with the new cooler in.

Kenny G likes this.
  2. liquid1

liquid1 Member

Heck yea, Like the Huge shop and Big tool box, Sounds like he knows his shitz.. Is that the Allison Transmission.

3. Gaderider13

Gaderider13 Member

Hes got a heck of a nice setup thats for sure, in the past 2-3 years his shop has really been getting busier and busier, hes regarded as one of the top Allison Transmission builders in the country. Said last year he did approx 320 Allison builds, and mind you this is only a two man shop! His transmissions are in quite a few of the top duramax sled pullers/drag trucks. He said my trans would be good up to 900-1000hp, which is more than ill ever need lol.

Next year thinking of doing twin turbos and some manifolds/uppipes and having that installed by him. Will be an awesome hauler and be good for around 700HP/1200ft lbs torque.

The rest of this years plan is to lift it to level (front end sits 3 1/2" lower than the rear, ill add a 6" lift and keep it cranked down so the rear will only lift maybe 1" at most) build the front end with some HD components, and add some 35s. Slowly making a dream come true!

NCMudman and liquid1 like this.
  4. liquid1

liquid1 Member

2 man shop is the best kind to find, all these cookie cutter shops rush repairs and use cheaper parts to survive, I might be a 1 man Dirt bike , Atv, Utv small engine repair shop my self if I live long enough to retire from my normal day job. Growing up my dad would take me over to a friend of his that had a Motorcycle shop so I could hang out and watch and help him a little . Guess I been hooked every since. A co worker just had his sons Dodge built up engine and transmission mods same deal the shops do sled pullers and drag trucks. pushing 700HP, over 1400ft lb torque on a Dyno, I;m just wondering how long it will all hold up to a 17 year old, I keep telling him to Add a roll bar and Make him wear a helmet. Crazy funny money spent on his truck so far.. Its bad arse. Nick you are for sure dropping some serious coin in your rig. Awesome to se owners still modifying rigs to make it there own.

Gaderider13 likes this.
  5. Gaderider13

Gaderider13 Member

I dont think i can ever leave anything stock lol. This is definitely the most expensive/addicting hobby ive had so far lol. Starting to finish up the truck though, dont want to dig into the engine itself, because thats the most expensive thing you can do lol. Can easily drop $30,000+ into pistons, rods, cam, crank, heads, injectors, ect. They say the stock motor is good for up to 700-750hp, any more than that and youre pushing it. I plan on keeping the tuning down, guys safely run 600hp/1200torque on a stock engine no issues.

Lift, beef up the front end, rims/tires for this year. Next year will be finishing up engine mods with twins and manifolds/upipes. After that not even sure where id go lol. I know i want to start replacing wear items, want to do all new brakes, brake lines, undercoat and paint eveything underneath. I want this truck to last a long time.

liquid1 likes this.
  6. Gaderider13

Gaderider13 Member

Next week (this week is looking like a wash) Im doing new fluids in the transfer case, differentials. Changing the spin on filter on the trans. I have 6 gallons of dexcool, will do new coolant with the mishimoto radiator hoses, new thermostats. Also have new idler pulleys, tensioner pulley, belt. After that its got almost all new fluids. All thats left is brake fluid and the power steering/hydroboost, which i plan on changing out soon.

Kenny G and liquid1 like this.
  7. Kenny G

Kenny G Site Supporter

I really like what you're doing to that 'Bad-Azz' Chevy. It's going to be a sweet ride when you finish up all the mods you have planned. I totally love my '14 2500 LTZ diesel. Most of it's duties is pull a 16' trailer with a load up a mountain side, almost weekly and I love the engine brake for coming off, sweet machine with the Duramax matched up with that Allison transmission!!!!

liquid1 and Gaderider13 like this.
  8. Gaderider13

Gaderider13 Member

Thanks! Its really a dream come true for me! My first diesel truck, and the one ive wanted all along. Nothing but happy with it, probably one of my best choices going to the diesel world. Its more than a daily driver when you truly love the vehicle you drive day in and day out lol. Just wish diesel was cheaper and oil changes were free so i can do 100k miles a year lol.

The turbo brake is really amazing in these trucks. It was strong before, but now that i have the new triple disk billet torque converter, its even stronger! The last time i pulled the camper last year i was barely using my brakes, keeping it in tow/haul and manual mode, just using the turbo brake even in slow moving traffic.

If you think the stock Allison is amazing, you should feel it after a good builder touches it, its amazing the difference it makes lol. Is your truck modified or bone stock?

Kenny G and liquid1 like this.
  9. Kenny G

Kenny G Site Supporter

It's bone but does me very good. Not much of a motor head so what I don't know is probably good, lol.... With all the trany options I'm really not sure what I'd need to change on it. At an elevation change of around 2.5 -3K the manual and engine brake holds the truck and trailer load in place with not much braking over a 5-8 mile descent, and pulls it like on flat ground......

Gaderider13 likes this.
  10. Gaderider13

Gaderider13 Member

The LMLs pull really well from what ive heard with the factory engine brake. Dont think id ever own a truck that doesnt have one, its so nice on the down hills.

Changed out the front/rear diff and transfer case fluids, and changed out the spin on filter on the trans and topped it off.

The empties, she sure is thirsty lol. 8 quarts gear oil rear, 2 quarts front, 2 quarts atf transfer case and used a quart on the trans.

2 days ago i installed the mishimoto rad hoses and thermostats i had, along with all new coolant. What a pain in the ASS the lower rad hose was, took almost 2 hours of laying in a puddle of coolant cursing to get it done. What i thought was going to be the hardest part was in fact the easiest lol, the thermostats.

I also have a 42" curved light bar coming, swapping out the 30" behind the grille. Who said you can have too much light? lol.

Have a Merchant automotive fan clutch wrench coming as well, need to pull the fan off to get to the pulleys. There is a factory tool but this one is much better, uses a air chisel. Ill post up pics when it come!

Also starting to collect parts for the lift. Ordered a set of Rare Parts HD tierods. These are probably 3-4x thicker than the OEM ones lol.

liquid1 and Kenny G like this.
  11. Gaderider13

Gaderider13 Member

liquid1 likes this.
  12. Gaderider13

Gaderider13 Member

Been slowly collecting parts for the suspension/steering for a while now. Only have a couple things left to get, have all the small stuff now.

Rare parts HD idler/pitman arms, Krytonite lower balljoints

Rare parts HD idler arm assembly

MOOG problem solver upper control arms

Energy suspension bushings for lower control arms

Energy suspension swaybar bushings

Bilstein steering damper and oem GM z71 bump stops

PPE PISK

Next thing up will be ordering the 6" lift, and some new meats. Im thinking of going with Toyo open country AT2s in 305/70/17s, which measure 34-34.5". Going with that setup for now, on stock rims for a winter tire. Dont want to run nice alloys in the winter. Next year my goal will be a set of 20" eagle alloys. Not in the budget for this year.

Also need to order up Ruffstuff specialties 72" traction bars. I get some wheelhop now when i accelerate hard, i imagine with a 6" lift itll just be worse lol. Will also get a set of airlift bags for the back. Just the system system with 2 Schrader valves which ill mount in the bumper. Dont want any of that auto fill with onboard air and all of that, too much crap to go wrong lol.

The goals for next spring will be SDP s475 over stock compound turbo setup, with profab manifolds/uppipes. Will probably put a new turbo in the valley at the same time, so everything will be freshened up. Debating on going with a new reman stock turbo or maybe something like a danville 68mm stage2r. The only thing is i dont want to be making too much power. The stock motor will hold up to 700hp max, i really dont want to have to build the motor lol. Will probably just end up with a new reman OEM and get it powdercoated to match everything.

bluesmanjesse and liquid1 like this.
  13. liquid1

liquid1 Member

I really like my Bilstien shocks on my F150, need to get the steering shock to... I went from stock to rancho to bilstien now, night and day better.

14. jeep98

jeep98 Member

so are you going to sell your atv cover ? i mean your atv will be really high on it my is at 9ft your be well over 10ft high i am sure and what ball joints you get i hope the best ?

15. Gaderider13

Gaderider13 Member

Not to worried about the height lol, the actual bed height isnt going to change a whole lot, maybe 3-4" at most. The front of my truck sits 3 1/2" lower than the rear now, doing a 6" lift thatll be turned down to a 4" so itll level out the truck. Then tuck some 33-35s under it, still need to decide on a size. Replacing all the balljoints, but the lift wont effect the balljoint life much, its the guys that crank the torsion bars to level the truck out that have issues lol. Doing it the right way

liquid1 likes this.
  16. jeep98

jeep98 Member

carlisle ball joints they are the best look them up

17. Gaderider13

Gaderider13 Member

They dont make any for GM. The ones i ordered are regarded as some of the best i can get for my truck with stock control arms. Should be good for a while lol.

Wasnt expecting it, but found a good deal that i couldnt pass up and ordered helper bags for the rear. Airlifter 5000 series, should be here tomorrow!

18. jeep98

jeep98 Member

Airlifter 5000 series thats the one i got i like it may take them off when i buy my new 5500 dually diesel lol

19. liquid1

liquid1 Member

Yea i did the torsion bar Keys ..Your correct way to much of an angle, I kept blowing CV boots the joints held up well.

Gaderider13 likes this.
  20. Gaderider13

Gaderider13 Member

Yea, alot of guys on the duramax forums just level their truck by turning up the keys and then end up wearing out their front end in 20-30k miles lol. Putting a liftkit on and lowering the lift is the only way to level without sacrificing longevity.

Got my lift blocks for the rear end and the blocks for the airbags the other day. T-6-7 weeks until 6" lift and some new sneakers for the truck!

liquid1 likes this.