Welcome to the Rocks and Ruts Off-Road Powersports Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

1. Welcome Guest to the Rocks and Ruts Off-Road Powersports Community Forums. Be sure to register. It's quick and 100% free.

2014 Rally On The Rocks

Discussion in 'Western Regional Rides and Events' started by Kenny G, Feb 22, 2014.

1. Kenny G

Kenny G Site Supporter

Anyone making plans to hit Moab in May for 2014 Rally on the Rocks? I've got my registration and trails in. Hotel booked and now just counting down the day.

2. bluesmanjesse

bluesmanjesse Moderator
    Staff Member

I think maybe Sasquatch was talking about that but he only gets on here in spurts, then he's gone a while, then he comes back with epic pictures or BBQ recipes,lol. I'd love to make it out to Moab one of these days!

3. Kenny G

Kenny G Site Supporter

I've been lookin at the different sport cams that are out there, if I get one before I go I'll post some vids when I get back. Never been there either but looks like fun.

4. Butch450

Butch450 Administrator
    Staff Member

I would love to one day get out there. I always love watching all the west coast guys vids from there trips. Some day us east coasters will get there.

5. DODGE57HEMI

DODGE57HEMI Site Supporter

May hu? Might need to look into that! P.S. Fins N, Things along with Kane Creek are MUST do's! ;)

6. cammoup

cammoup Site Supporter

I so wish there was a nice ride going on a little closer. All the fun spots up North.

7. Kenny G

Kenny G Site Supporter

I signed up for Steel Bender, Hells Revenge, and Porcupine Rim. I'll only make 3 of the 4 days. Just finishing up a MTS +3 on the 700 for this ride.

8. DODGE57HEMI

Ohhh Porcupine Rim, HATE that trail! Better carry a spare pillow under you bum for that trial!!! I want to do Poison Spyder when I go. :)

~There are only two types of people in this world, those that know and those that wish they did ~

9. Kenny G

Kenny G Site Supporter

Think the Rally is only open to SXS, if you've got one you ought come out, or rent one there.

10. DODGE57HEMI

Oh really I did not know. Still want to get back their tho. Might need to do a R&R ride soon. Might do one in the Fall as that might work better time wise for me! Heck I might just do Taylor Park as I need to get back their as well. (Can you tell I have not been riding in a while lol)

~There are only two types of people in this world, those that know and those that wish they did ~

11. Kenny G

Kenny G Site Supporter

I hear there are some great trails down throught Colorado's Rocky Mnts. I'd like to drop across the boarder and do some riding down there someday. Wyomings trail system up my way is outlaw riding for the best riding.

12. DODGE57HEMI

To make a long story short if I were to start riding today I dont think I could touch every trail their is in Co. IMO Taylor park is every bit as fun as Moab just that it is not as technical but the views would be hard to beat anywhere in the USA! You can even go to the Hans Peak area close to Steamboat and ride into Wy. A hidden jem in Co trail system!

13. Kenny G

Kenny G Site Supporter

10/4 on the mnt trail riding. 90% of my riding is in the mnts. I do some riding in the Red Dez here in Wy, usually in the spring time when the snow is still to deep to go high. Never been on the big rocks like Moab, will be a new experience for me. Is there a site where a guy can put an eye on the trail system down in Colorado?

14. DODGE57HEMI

Yup, http://www.staythetrail.org/ gives you most all the major trail and laws in Co. If you have specific questions feel free to ask I answer most things. I am part of the Colorado Trail Patrol and can give you most of the answers you might need.

15. jeep98

jeep98 Member

butch lets take a drive out there

16. Butch450

Butch450 Administrator
    Staff Member

I thought you had a trip planned out there already?

17. cammoup

cammoup Site Supporter

It would be great if maybe next winter one of you guys in the snowy mtns could put a ride together. The wife gives me 2 events per year, no questions asked. I had one planned for this fall and am cancelling due to loss of interest. (being politically correct there)

Would be great to incorporate a hunt or fishing with it. No shortage of weaponry here.

18. Kenny G

Kenny G Site Supporter

JR, If you're talking about the Rockies, October is about as late as you can get up into the mountains on an ATV or SXS. This year we had our 1st snow fall the 1st week of October, the mountains got around 3 feet and down low 16+". Riding up high is about 4 maybe 5 months out of the year. Opening one of the mnt pass roads in the spring.
    [​IMG]

19. cammoup

cammoup Site Supporter

Is there any snow on the peaks before Oct. It is beautiful and probably peaceful.

20. Kenny G

Kenny G Site Supporter

Some of the peaks have glaciers on them. And yes it can snow at anytime when you're at 10K elevation.