Welcome to the Rocks and Ruts Off-Road Powersports Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

1. Welcome Guest to the Rocks and Ruts Off-Road Powersports Community Forums. Be sure to register. It's quick and 100% free.

2015 Rally On The Rocks, Moab, UT

Discussion in 'Western Regional Rides and Events' started by Kenny G, Jan 21, 2015.

1. Kenny G

Kenny G Site Supporter

Booked my room today in Moab for 2015 Rally on the Rocks. It's amazing how many places were already book for that week in May. I'm going out 2 days early so I can get in some extra riding before the rally starts. It was a blast last year and am already digging out the maps for trail information. Load up the trailers and come on out. :72:

Hammer likes this.
  2. Gyrene

Gyrene Site Supporter

Kenny, I sure wish I lived closer, because I'd sure be going with you.....

You took some awesome pics last year so I'm anxiously awaiting this years pics....

3. Kenny G

Kenny G Site Supporter

Thanks Gyrene. Last year I had a disaster with my Drift, which I think I'm getting it workable! And my camera an older Kodak, great pocket camera, kept over heating. Well last week it chit the bed so I'll have a different camera and maybe I'll get some cool pictures to post. It would be great to ride with you someday.

4. Gyrene

Gyrene Site Supporter

Sounds like you'll have all the bases covered this trip.... And, who knows, maybe I'll be able to make it out your way someday and we can ride together....

Looking fwd to your pics...

5. blackbirdxp1k

blackbirdxp1k Site Supporter

Sounds great! I'd love to ride Moab once in my life. Look forward to seeing pics.

6. RedRocket

RedRocket Site Supporter

I already have made plans to be out there about 1 month before you...meeting up with some Grizzly riders. It'll be the first time I have ever stopped to play while in Moab, call me excited.

Oh, and I plan on having a good amount of pictures from there too. Should make for some good entries.

So, I officially challenge you to a Moab "picture off" :wav:

BTW, not sure which route you will take down there but if you get the chance and have never been, do yourself a favor and stop at the tailwaters of the Flaming Gorge Reservoir on the Green River. Very scenic area and phenomenal fly fishing!!!

Hope you guys have a fun, safe trip!

Last edited: Jan 22, 2015
  7. Hammer

Hammer Moderator
    Staff Member

absolutely jealous!

8. Kenny G

Kenny G Site Supporter

I've never been challenged to a "picture off" but it sounds easier than some of the other things I've been challenged to do, lol.. Hell's Revenge is a real cool trail if you've never been on the slick rock formations before. So far, I'll be heading down solo, and will drop down off I-80 to Grand Junction then I-70. Have a great/safe time Red Rocket. You can wet my appetite with some early pictures.

9. blackbirdxp1k

blackbirdxp1k Site Supporter

Man I looked up how far it for me go out there and it around 1200 miles. Looks like going to W.V. Or Tennessee will happen first being 650 miles

10. MattN03

MattN03 Site Supporter

One of these days, I'm going to make it out for that event! We're heading to Moab for the first time ever in June, and I can't wait! We're doing Canyonlands & Arches NP's, Monument Valley, Zion NP, and Bryce Canyon for our 10 year wedding anniversary trip.

11. Kenny G

Kenny G Site Supporter

Sounds like a great anniversary gift for the two of you to enjoy. They do have rentals out there..... There is place in Moab that has an evening dinner (large boat) on the Colorado River, might be a fun suprise for the wife.

12. MattN03

MattN03 Site Supporter

The dinner boat sounds great Kenny! Thanks! We're planning to do a 1/2 day sxs rental, and she'd like to do a 1/2 day kayak. :). We're taking 8 days out there and I wish we could have taken more! So many places to see in so little time.

13. RedRocket

RedRocket Site Supporter

haha, yeah. I have absolutely no idea what the hell a "picture off" is supposed to be...but it sounded good. :cheesy:

I do believe Hell's Revenge is a trail that has been mentioned as a suggested ride. Can't wait.

14. jeep98

jeep98 Member

Moab utah is sick really good riding i will be back in sept 4 2 weeks have fun in may

15. Kenny G

Kenny G Site Supporter

DSCN0065.JPG DSCN0031.JPG DSCN0044.JPG
    DSCN0028.JPG Winter storm hit Central Rocky Mnts so I took off early this a.m. as it was coming in. First 180 miles was pretty tough driving but once I got over the Continental Divide and into the western slope the weather cleared up. Here's a couple pics rollin down hwy 128 outside of Moab long the Colorado River.

MattN03, Hammer and Butch450 like this.
  16. Butch450

Butch450 Administrator
    Staff Member

Can't believe it snowed there. Does make for a great pic seeing all that fresh snow on the mountain.

17. Kenny G

Kenny G Site Supporter

Here are some pics from day 2 out at Moab. I had to cut my ride short today as I wasn't sure I'd make it back to home base before I ran out of fuel. So much to see and ride on. Had only several tech spots but the scenery is so amazing you just have to pinch yourself at times. Bob's maps are working great, I'd been SOL without them today, lots of outlaw trails going everywhere but was always able to get back to the B-Map's trail. DSCN0111.JPG DSCN0116.JPG DSCN0122.JPG DSCN0159.JPG DSCN0165.JPG

MattN03, Butch450 and Hammer like this.
  18. Kenny G

Kenny G Site Supporter

Here are a few shots from the trail I was on today, #3. 35 miles one way took me all day to get through and was able to come out by hwy 191 and ran the blacktop back to Moab about 15 miles. About half way into the ride my camera battery died, late found I brought the wrong charger for it and it's not been charging at all. Glad I brought my ole camera as a backup. The pic of the RZR's are also in the last pic. They're right below the sand stone dome around the 2nd or 3rd shelf. Got into a little more tech stuff today but need to watch myself riding a lone out here.
    2015-05-11 Kane Canyon.jpg DSCN0204.JPG DSCN0205.JPG DSCN0175.JPG DSCN0176.JPG

Last edited: May 12, 2015
    MattN03 and Butch450 like this.
  19. Butch450

Butch450 Administrator
    Staff Member

Nice! Yeah definitely be careful by yourself out there.

Kenny G likes this.
  20. Hammer

Hammer Moderator
    Staff Member

AWESOME views out there! looks like a great trip!

Kenny G likes this.