Welcome to the Rocks and Ruts Off-Road Powersports Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

1. Welcome Guest to the Rocks and Ruts Off-Road Powersports Community Forums. Be sure to register. It's quick and 100% free.

2016 Hunting thread

Discussion in 'Hunting' started by mudslinger828, Oct 6, 2016.

1. mudslinger828

mudslinger828 Member

Anybody tag a deer yet? Filled my buck tag last evening.
    9pt buck.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 16, 2016
    liquid1, KEETER and Hammer like this.
  2. KEETER

KEETER Member

I can't see the pic's for some reason. Heading to South Carolina later today to set up camp for this season. being it's opening day today it seems surreal as all my buds are working and it will be another week before any of them are ready to start hunting. Reckon I'll have to practice for a week on my own waiting on somebody to come hunt with me.

bluesmanjesse and liquid1 like this.
  3. bluesmanjesse

bluesmanjesse Moderator
    Staff Member

I think I fixed the pictures, @mudslinger828 if that's not how you wanted it to look let me know and I'll change it. It looked like the other links you had in there were bad links from PFOA that you can only see if you're logged into that forum.

4. blackbirdxp1k

blackbirdxp1k Site Supporter

Haven't got out hunting, and it's looking like I prolly won't. Getting sent out state for work sucks

5. blackbirdxp1k

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    My 8 pointer, 17" spread tallest tines are 8-1/2" long. After this shot I think I'll be little more confident. 225 yards+ in the windy conditions last night. Thought I missed but I didn't. Shot with Savage 111 bth 30-06. Using fusion 165 grain bullett that i didnt like the expansion on. Exit hole wasn't very big. Hit right behind shoulder. Couldn't find blood. Today had feeling I needed to do another look and found him like 60 yards in the woods! My biggest Buck so far. Will look nice on the wall next to my bear.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2016
    KEETER and bluesmanjesse like this.
  6. KEETER

KEETER Member

Way to go guys, both of these animals are great reasons to be happy with your seasons. I don't know if I'm getting too old to move around on my hunt as I've done before but I'm on the downside that's for sure. I've been really blessed to have hunted in several state like North and South Carolina VA, ALA, and Wyoming. This year most all the states on the east coast or mid Atlantic has had a big bumper acorn crop, so lower than normal deer movement . Don't get me wrong there've been some nice deer kills but way below the norm. Also they went nocturnal fairly quick as well, maybe the drought in our area also contributed as well. I'm sounding like a fisherman and hunter more and more ain't I.
    The main thing about it is I've loved every minute of it and will keep sitting here in the rain and falling temps waiting on some fresh backstraps watching the wildlife as the mornings come alive. Hell if deer season don't pan out any better it might just be a pork season as I've already decided to help some farmers out hunting some hogs in SC and Ga next month. Good luck to all this season.

bluesmanjesse and blackbirdxp1k like this.
  7. blackbirdxp1k

I'd like go hog hunting some day. I want plan out some hunts. My top hunts I want to do are elk, mule deer, caribou, and hogs. I've got my got my bear and now nice Buck on the wall too. my parents farm I'm pretty lucky to hunt. It has put out trophy sized bucks for quite while, though I'm usually not the one getting them.

bluesmanjesse and KEETER like this.