Welcome to the Rocks and Ruts Off-Road Powersports Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

1. Welcome Guest to the Rocks and Ruts Off-Road Powersports Community Forums. Be sure to register. It's quick and 100% free.

Enclosed Trailer Flipped Toy Hauler

Discussion in 'Members Rigs' started by Kenny G, Apr 4, 2014.

1. Kenny G

Kenny G Site Supporter

Anyone here running an enclosed cargo style trailer and flipped it into a toy hauler/weekender? I'm thinking about something easy and a whole lot less $$$$ than the RV toy haulers on the market. Maybe 14 -16' unit. Any ideas?

2. Hammer

Hammer Moderator
    Staff Member

I saw a 24' enclosed for sale not long ago. it was an aluminum V-nose sled trailer with the front ramp for drive on/off. the guy bolted down a pull out couch in the front and found himself a few small amenities from an old pop-up camper. it wasn't something I'd take the family for the weekend in, but definitely serve the purpose for a weekend riding trip with the guys

3. Kenny G

Kenny G Site Supporter

I hear you with the family thing. It's just the wife, dog and me; and the wife probably has something else she'd want to do. So the dog and me and maybe a bud if they'll go ride. That's why I'm thinking a mod cargo trailer. I see some pretty cool units a person could do up for little cash and labor for nothing but gas in the tank.......................

4. liquid1

liquid1 Member

I use my 6x12 enclose , Love it for just 1 atv or a slew of dirt bikes which is what it was bought for, go at least 7x18, I plan on either selling mine or trading up to make what your talking about, need to get 2 full size atv's in it or a rzr s or similar . Theres a customer who did exacgtly like your talking he put 12 grand in a 6 grand trailer I been wanting to see it as he and his wife use it all the time, He puts 2 700 grizzly in it has kitchen and sleeping quarters v nose, generator and lp setup.

5. Kenny G

Kenny G Site Supporter

Yep, the V nose gives you 3+ feet extra room. $12K, should be pretty nice. I would need to go 7' wide for the Rhino with the MT suspension. My concern is finding one with at lest a 6' foot height inside to fit the bike into. I'm going to go look at some this weekend maybe. Think I could do something cheaper than 12K, but probably wouldn't have the amenities. Would like to see want the customer did to his if you have any pics? I see the price running for a 14 -16' X 7" run about $4500 - $5200 around here, it would be nice to find a good used one. lol....

6. RedRocket

RedRocket Site Supporter

7. Kenny G

Kenny G Site Supporter

That's a pretty cool setup, wonder if he's got holes through the floor for ice fishing? Thanks for sharing RedRocket.

8. Timmi

Timmi Site Supporter

9. Kenny G

Kenny G Site Supporter

Well I pulled the trigger on a H&H 7X16 toy/trailer, another fun project building it into a poor-boys toy hauler. lol......

H&H 7X16 Trl 001.jpg H&H 7X16 Trl 008.jpg

H&H 7X16 Trl 009.jpg

10. Hammer

Hammer Moderator
    Staff Member

nice! I assume you got the extra height so you can fit your buggy in?

11. gator

gator Member

Great idea, looks new? Are you going kitchen, bath and bunk?
    How much room does the SxS use?

12. Gyrene

Gyrene Site Supporter

Super nice trailer.... Congrats!!!!

Cant wait to see how you make it yours....

13. Kenny G

Kenny G Site Supporter

Yep Hammer, Needed a 6' door to get inside.

Gator, My Rhino is 5'4" wide and about 10' long. will give me the extra room up front to pack overnight gear maybe some cabinets. Don't think I'd try and do a kitchenette or bath, way to small and I'm just lookin at an overnight unit and security if the Rhino is left out someplace. Someone seems to always have sticky fingars unless you're right there watching things. It's short enough you can still get into the back country pretty easy wth it.

14. flimmy

flimmy Member

Nice looking trailer. That's on my list for next yr.

Look for an old pop up or reg camper and pull all the good stuff off. Maybe even get a roof ac unit for the hot summer nights. Build a fold up wall mounted bed and do a microwave to heat up stuff if its raining.

15. Kenny G

Kenny G Site Supporter

One thing about WY you really don't need any AC. When the sun starts to go down so does the temp. average night temp in the mnts maybe 45 - 55* on a hot day. Most mornings you're looking for heat not AC. We also don't have much humidity in the summer 20-30% at night and maybe 10-20% in the day time. Pretty dry and cool climate. I'm thinking a fold out air bed and a portable grill with mostly storage for the chit you pack for a short outing. Storage is the big thing with some juice from a portable generator. Livin big in my neck of the woods. I'm so ready for the snow melt, I can't stand bumping around down in the valley.

16. RedRocket

RedRocket Site Supporter

I would still consider, if it doesn't already exist, wiring up a few LED ceiling lights that run off of battery for nights when you don't want to be running a gen. There are also portable, fold-up camp kitchens for a reasonable cost if you really needed something like that.

But really, portable man cave all the way! :yay2:

17. liquid1

liquid1 Member

Awesome looking Enclosed, its what I'm looking into, 7x16 or 7x18 Vnose. Will be interesting to hear what you think of the room inside, with yours can you get 2 full size Grizzly 700 in with room for gear. Like the chrome and dual axles. keep us posted.

18. Kenny G

Kenny G Site Supporter

Well, so far the portable man cave has worked out great for what I've used it for. I coated the floor with an epoxy floor covering paint which had flakes for surface traction. It was designed for concrete garage floors but after researching a little it should work equally as good on the wood surface as long as you don't have moisture penetrating from below, the underneath of the floor was sprayed with a good undercoating from the factory. It turned out real nice, I did put two coats on it as the first coat soaked into the plywood pretty good. Seems to be holding up to the Rhino running up and down the ramp, which gets the most abuse. I'll try and remember to get a pic of the floor so you can see it. Gives it a whole nicer inside finished apperance.