Welcome to the Rocks and Ruts Off-Road Powersports Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

1. Welcome Guest to the Rocks and Ruts Off-Road Powersports Community Forums. Be sure to register. It's quick and 100% free.

Fender Flares

Discussion in 'Utility ATV and SxS Chassis and Body' started by Woodbooger, Jul 4, 2012.

1. Woodbooger

Woodbooger Site Supporter

I cannot stand the way Yamaha Grizzly factory fender flares look. :puke:They look like you will take off if you drive fast and without decent width tires they look even more hideous.

So i've been looking all around for something else. There are a couple knockoff brands out there but they look silly too. The only ones that even seem half decent enough to stop rocks and such from hittin you seem to be Maier fender flares but I cant find any good reviews on them. Has anyone put this brand of flares on your ATV's? I dont care what you ride, I just want to know how well they work.

Heres a link to the ones I'm looking at. Yes they are pricey but at least they wont act as wings!
    http://www.motorcycle-superstore.co...res-2009-Yamaha-Grizzly-700-FI-4x4-Parts.aspx

[​IMG]

2. Grumpy

Grumpy Site Supporter

Guess it's personal choice... but if they don't stick out they don't do what they're supposed to! :smiley_confused1: The Pit Bull Growlers through up a lot of trail, I haven't had any of it hit me.

Mine are Yamaha's. The Maier's look good too though.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. SweetGrizz

SweetGrizz Member

Where did u get those flares at? I believe those are the Canadian version?

I need a set now as my zillas really like throwing mud on me lol

4. MTGRIZZ700

MTGRIZZ700 Member

these r mine idk brand where on when i bought it used and have 1.5 in wheel spacers so yeah but they seem to hold up well and ive hit things with them and had rocks and shit hit them. side wise no mud but if i spin the tires in mud it will come over the back and cover you of course or if u hit that puddle at say 30 mph trying to get a friend that is trying to go around it it will cover u from all angles lol hahaha thats my mud hole for u guys lol hahahaha not much mud around here creeks and rivers to cross but no mud hole wish there was though mountain    lila 068.jpg damb it small pic lol idk how to fix that shit in paint it is 1000 x 750pixels so idk Fn computers hate them but to much great info to not have one

5. Hammer

Hammer Moderator
    Staff Member

i added the pic for you

they look about the same to me? i know that some guys have used the Maier flares on their 660's and like them. they provide WAYY better coverage and better looks than the OEM ones for the 660. but they look the same as the OEM 700/550 flares to me.

6. blackbirdxp1k

blackbirdxp1k Site Supporter

I have super atv flares. to me they look great, and help a lot with mud and rocks.

[​IMG]

7. Woodbooger

MTGrizz- they look like the Maiers. Sloped down instead of up and out.

Srgrizz- I looked at them too. They are close to factory but priced way better.

Grumpy- I cant say sh!t about your ride. I hope mine will be as nice as yours in the end, with different flares of course.

I started buying accessories before i got the grizz lol. If anything falls through where i cant get it I will have a great sale with the members here. So all your reviews and help I'm taking seriously and thank you all for it.

8. bluesmanjesse

bluesmanjesse Moderator
    Staff Member

I run Kolpin flares that are styled like the old Yamaha OEM 660 flares,they look like this....

[​IMG]

I've put them to the test pretty hard so far,no complaints! I got them from Gander mountain for $114.99, total with shiping and all was $128.39. I got $20 off with the cupon code G11671 , I am not sure how long that code is good for but it will get you $20 off any order over $100. Here they are on my Grizz...

[​IMG]

9. blackbirdxp1k

blackbirdxp1k Site Supporter

10. Woodbooger

Srgrizz- Thanks for that post and no i didnt see it. They look better than the factories but still have that sweep angle of the factories. They seem a little less bulky too. Will consider them.

Bluesman- I looked at them too. Better looking than factories. Question though. Do the just extend under the fenders and bolt through? When there is pressure say from your hand or a branch on the top edge do they look like they could buckle in between screw holes?

11. Grumpy

Grumpy Site Supporter

Now the Koplin Flares look different. I like 'em! :bravo_2:

Got mine from Yamaha. I don't know what's wrong with the "Flying Nun" look myself! :rotfl:

12. Woodbooger

Oh rly flying nun.jpg LMAO:lol_hitting:

13. RTxmr800

RTxmr800 Member

I have the same ones that hammer does and mine will take a a%% whippin! I dont even think they r scratched ! I also do not like the look of the yamie ones.. I think they cover better than mine but to me they look terrible !

14. Bullet Bill

Bullet Bill Site Supporter

I had the Kolpins on my Grizz 550. They took a beating and still looked good, they always popped back into shape and never discolored, which is more than I can say for the Yamaha plastic. The only problem I had was drilling holes in the grizz to mount them,...OUCH!.....it bothered me so much I decided not to put them on the 700. I'll just get a little extra muddy!

15. sooflyfisher

sooflyfisher Member

Those Kolpins look a lot like my canadian yammy's for the 450. I think they look great and they hold up well.

16. bluesmanjesse

bluesmanjesse Moderator
    Staff Member

They have about a 2" lip above that's behind the fender, I've rubbed every tree in the eastern united states with them and not a buckle yet!

17. Jstowell2008

Jstowell2008 Member

I have these same ones and they are awesome, they go down to the floor boards and look Tons better than the OEM flares. Mine are holding up great after a year of trees, mud, brush, you name it.

18. Grizzly77

Grizzly77 Site Supporter

19. NCMudman

NCMudman Member

I too run the koplins. So far I hve been very pleased. yes, you gotta drill... but as long as you are not taking them off, you're good!! Lol I too have rubbed them hard on trees and rocks, and so far they have held up great.

20. Woodbooger

@grizzly77-Now them i like but there price is a little salty