Welcome to the Rocks and Ruts Off-Road Powersports Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

1. Welcome Guest to the Rocks and Ruts Off-Road Powersports Community Forums. Be sure to register. It's quick and 100% free.

Found a new place for some R&R stickers

Discussion in 'Pictures and Videos' started by Hammer, Jul 13, 2015.

1. Timmi

Timmi Site Supporter

I suggest the fender flares from Yamaha, they help a lot. That 4wd knob needs to be on the right of the driver, dunno why they put it over where they did. Have you adjusted your shocks any? They are amazing shocks on a 12k machine.

2. Hammer

Hammer Moderator
    Staff Member

I have not started tinkering with the suspension yet, it hasn't sat still long enough! LOL

One other observation I made is that the fan seems to run constantly. I notice it while riding, but especially with the engine off. When we stop I shut off the engine, but turn the key back on so the fan can run if it needs too. The other night, it ran for 10 minutes after shut down, and this was at night with 75-80 degree ambient temperatures.

3. bluesmanjesse

bluesmanjesse Moderator
    Staff Member

My Teryx does that, if you let it run 30 seconds then crank it over for like 10 seconds to circulate the coolant a little the fan will go off.

Kenny G and Hammer like this.
  4. Hammer

Hammer Moderator
    Staff Member

I'll have to try that next time out, thanks Jesse!

liquid1 and bluesmanjesse like this.
  5. Hammer

Hammer Moderator
    Staff Member

From what i have been reading, the over fenders from yamaha are on intergalactic back order until at least late fall.

On another note, I bought my first accessory for the wolverine tonight. It's a 7x18 car trailer. I sold my other three trailers that were all too small and bought my first new one.
    KIMG0390.JPG

ponti1, Gyrene, NCMudman and 6 others like this.
  6. Kenny G

Kenny G Site Supporter

My fan even runs in the winter if I've been working the motor, I usually let it idol 30 seconds and just shut it down. Nice new trailer. Man these toy cause us to spend those $$$$$$$$$, lol......

7. Hammer

Hammer Moderator
    Staff Member

Selling my other three paid for everything but the taxes, so not too bad. I was going to buy another enclosed trailer but i wanted the ability to haul a car, if need be. This will allow me to haul the Wolvy and both Grizzlies so i can take the whole family riding!

8. Butch450

Butch450 Administrator
    Staff Member

Nice trailer Jack.

Hammer likes this.
  9. MattN03

MattN03 Site Supporter

Nice Jack! I bought a 7 x 16 utility for the T4 and I kinda wished I'd bought a 18 or 20 dovetail to fit 2 T4 size machines on a trailer.

Gyrene and Hammer like this.
  10. liquid1

liquid1 Member

Very nice Trailer, I think the little one is happy you got it..:08:

Gyrene and Hammer like this.
  11. Hammer

Hammer Moderator
    Staff Member

They had 7x16 utility trailers, but they were $200 more than this car trailer and they both had the same gvw. I don't tow cars very often, but I felt like this would be more versatile and useful in the long run.

James she has been riding her quad alot lately and she is wanting to ride somewhere other than the yard. I found an ATV jamboree next weekend and they have family friendly trails as well as a kids obstacle course, so now we're ready to go. She is very excited!

Gyrene and liquid1 like this.
  12. bluesmanjesse

bluesmanjesse Moderator
    Staff Member

Looks good Jack, I had to upgrade trailers recently too, this snowball never stops rolling, lol.

13. Gyrene

Gyrene Site Supporter

Super nice trailer Jack....

Congrats on the all new set up!!!

Hammer likes this.
  14. Hammer

Hammer Moderator
    Staff Member

Well, I've had the Wolvy long enough to do the first service.
    Some observations I've made
    1. Whoever decided where to place the grease zerks on the rear knuckles was an idiot. they can't be greased. they are directly above and below the cv joint and no grease gun will touch them. they will be getting replaced with 45* zerks.
    2. The air filter is HUGE. seriously, it's bigger than the filter in my truck
    3. Fluid changes are a snap. Yamaha did a good job of making everything accessible and not making the access holes so small that you get oil everywhere.
    4. The fill hole in the rear differential was designed by the same idiot that placed the grease zerks. It's an 8mm hole. Ever try to pour gear oil through a 5/16" hole? It goes straight in from the side and there is a gusset on the diff just above it. Clearly not designed by someone who would be servicing it. The front diff uses a 12mm hole, much easier to pour fluid through
    5. There are 1000 nooks and cranny's for mud to hide in, which makes cleaning it a pain but I suppose any SxS would be the same way. I did however try a new way of cleaning it today, which worked well. Not great, but pretty good. I got this idea from the guys at Western Pa ATV and SxS. You pour 1 cup of Tide and 1 cup of your favorite degreaser into a 2 gallon sprayer, fill with water, spray everything and let it sit a few minutes. Then you hose it off. I used my pressure washer and it did a damn decent job.
    6. The seats are very comfortable, which will make long rides way more fun.
    7. The suspension is awesome! Much better than any recreational/utility SxS I've ever ridden in. Not on par with a Maverick or XP1K, but it soaks up trail obstacles, rocks, ruts, roots, washouts, whatever I've thrown at it with ease.
    8. The cupholders are ridiculously deep. I ran an obstacle course at an ATV rodeo with a Mountain Dew in the cupholder and it stayed put the whole time. A 12oz can nearly disappears in it.
    9. Fit and finish is typical Yamaha quality. Everything fits together like it should, no squeaks or rattles.
    10. It has been a great addition to my garage. My daughters love it, my son loves it, my wife loves it and I'm pretty well enjoying it also.

I'm headed to WV with it in a few weeks, so I'll get to put some miles on in the mountains. I've never rode there in a SxS, so it'll be interesting to see what it'll do. I fully expect to be very satisfied with the Wolverine over the long haul! :whoo:

Gaderider13, MattN03, Gyrene and 2 others like this.
  15. liquid1

liquid1 Member

Hammer, Awesome info.. Do you think the CVT is on par with the Ultramatic the Grizzly uses. Sounds like a solid built machine besides the maintenance maintenance flaws . Most machines are built with.:85: Idiots are made every day..

Hammer likes this.
  16. Hammer

Hammer Moderator
    Staff Member

James the cvt feels identical to my Grizzlies. There can't be much, if any, difference

liquid1 likes this.
  17. Timmi

Timmi Site Supporter

Thanks for the report, Jack, and the note on the zerks and diff fill.
    The cvt with James' sheave in it feels like a drive shaft.
    If I get a Wolvy, I am installing one immediately.

Gyrene, Hammer and liquid1 like this.
  18. liquid1

liquid1 Member

This Wolvy sounds like a sweet machine fore the buck.

Hammer likes this.
  19. Gyrene

Gyrene Site Supporter

Great review Jack!

Overall, it sounds like a good solid machine with very minor design flaws, and I stress very minor.

liquid1 and Hammer like this.
  20. MattN03

MattN03 Site Supporter

Great review Jack! My Kodiak 450 had the impossible to reach zerks at the rear too... :(

liquid1, Hammer and Gyrene like this.