Welcome to the Rocks and Ruts Off-Road Powersports Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

1. Welcome Guest to the Rocks and Ruts Off-Road Powersports Community Forums. Be sure to register. It's quick and 100% free.

Front end wobble

Discussion in 'Utility ATV and SxS Chassis and Body' started by BROWN616, Jul 6, 2017.

1. BROWN616

BROWN616 Member

Ok folks, like some of you know I bought my Grizz used. My buddy and I rode the Indian Ridge trails hard about 3 months ago and when we jumped out on the road to get some gas the front end wobbled terribly. Once I got home I jacked it up and found I separated the belts on the left front tire and found the stock steel wheel was bent slightly. Replaced with new Sedona Storm wheels and BH 2.0's! Love em by the way!

During my last ride where I got on some hard pack I noticed there is a slight wobble that increases/decreases with speed. Jacked it up again and nothing is bent that I can tell from having the missus run it in 4WD, doesn't appear to be any play in the hub bearing/ ball joints, and using a tape measure all the distances check out (tie rods, alignment, etc.) Any ideas what else to check? Its very slight and I don't ever notice it while on the trails, just hardpack or pavement.

2. Hammer

Hammer Moderator
    Staff Member

Most likely tire balance. Mud in the wheel can do it, or just a heavy spot in the tire. If it's not bad, I wouldn't worry about it unless you do a lot of road riding. If it bothers you, have them balanced

BROWN616 likes this.
  3. BROWN616

BROWN616 Member

Thanks Hammer thats what I was thinking, just needed another opinion. The tire/wheel i took off was visibly messed up and the wobble was real bad. like hard to hang on to the bars bad around 28 mph! its not nearly that bad now, just a little wiggle

4. bluesmanjesse

bluesmanjesse Moderator
    Staff Member

I've had wheel bearings and bad CV joints cause some weird stuff in the front end, Also make sure you don't have a warped break rotor.

BROWN616 likes this.