Welcome to the Rocks and Ruts Off-Road Powersports Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

1. Welcome Guest to the Rocks and Ruts Off-Road Powersports Community Forums. Be sure to register. It's quick and 100% free.

Hatfield McCoy shutting down trails

Discussion in 'Trail Talk' started by The Hive, Oct 7, 2015.

1. The Hive

The Hive Member

Gyrene likes this.
  2. MattN03

MattN03 Site Supporter

What a shame :( We're also loosing a local trail system in Eastern KY this year. Wilderness Trails Off-Road Park will be shutting down this month I think.

It's very strange it's being shut down so quickly. Would their lease agreement allow for such a quick closure, especially with the investment HM has made to build the trails, etc?

Gyrene likes this.
  3. Hammer

Hammer Moderator
    Staff Member

I have read that they have a use agreement with land owners to make the trails possible. The owner of several tracts has passed away and the heirs want to sell the property. HMT plans to work on an agreement with the new owners once the property is sold

4. The Hive

The Hive Member

I hope so. I read about some of the issues they have in reaching agreements with individual over corporate owned is that people think that there is money in it, where there really isn't.

Gyrene likes this.
  5. mazzei92300

mazzei92300 Site Supporter

I just heard about this. I am scheduled to go from October 18-24. I am glad we are not going to little coal river and ivy branch this go around.

Gyrene likes this.
  6. NCMudman

NCMudman Member

Wow... I sure hope they can come to a resolution quick!! Also sad to hear about your local place Matt. Heck and we just had durhamtown Tellico close on us last month... Not good!!!!

Gyrene likes this.
  7. Kenny G

Kenny G Site Supporter

I know the Federal Government is cutting mineral royalties to the States and in Wyoming that will effect programs for maintaining, and developing new trail systems here. Our State Gov is fighting back to retain the mineral royalties leaving the State of Wyoming.

Gyrene and bluesmanjesse like this.
  8. bluesmanjesse

bluesmanjesse Moderator
    Staff Member

I saw this the other day too, been too busy to share it but it does suck! Hopefully the new land owners will allow them to open back up ASAP!

Gyrene likes this.
  9. liquid1

liquid1 Member

Matt, Is wilderness trails shutting down for good..What the heck..

Gyrene likes this.
  10. My 660

My 660 Site Supporter

I hate to see any functioning ATV riding park or area close. Closing because of owner/agreement situations is one thing and it will probably be a while before that gets resolved. The Wilderness Trails Offroad Park closing to be a wildlife viewing area probably could have been prevented by having more visible use of the trails, but I won't try to second guess politics. I made a couple of trips there for 4 days at a time and I can count on two hands all the ATV's I seen other than the ones we were riding. BUT, it is sad to see any trails close and hope another will open in another location to take it's place...MD

Gyrene and liquid1 like this.
  11. MattN03

MattN03 Site Supporter

Yep, it's going to be made into a wildlife viewing area, as My660 said. Supposedly, Jon Grace, Adventure Tourism Director in Bell Co, is working with others in the Tri-State (TN/VA/KY) to open up an area of trails. I don't know any details about this, but I hope they can pull it off.

We didn't ride on park a lot, but we used it as basecamp to ride to/from the outlaw trails.

Gyrene, liquid1 and My 660 like this.
  12. My 660

My 660 Site Supporter

Matt, I enjoy Jon's friendship, but the WTOP closing was very predictable. In my line of work, things that are predictable are preventable usually. That place had so much more potential than was ever used. BUT, it would require much more maintenance than was ever given Jon to work with...MD

bluesmanjesse and Gyrene like this.
  13. liquid1

liquid1 Member

Wildlife viewing area in this remote secluded area. Is it close to a Big city. ..It is a Beautiful place..

My 660 likes this.
  14. Gyrene

Gyrene Site Supporter

I hate seeing these closures too!

That's 4 large systems closing in about the same time period.

I'm like Mike, I could see wtop closing due toack of participation, everyone I know never heard of it even though it was on several of the Atv tv shows.

I think if there were more lodging choices nearby that you could ride your Atv from and had some towns with restaurants to ride to it would have done better due to word of mouth advertising.

I didn't see the HMT and Durham Town Tellico Trails closing coming at all.

I would love to see some new trails open in our area of SC and NC around where I live, the terrain is diverse and offers some good riding.

bluesmanjesse, My 660 and liquid1 like this.