Welcome to the Rocks and Ruts Off-Road Powersports Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

1. Welcome Guest to the Rocks and Ruts Off-Road Powersports Community Forums. Be sure to register. It's quick and 100% free.

I hate being a back seat driver, almost as much as Facebook...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Butch450, May 27, 2014.

1. Butch450

Butch450 Administrator
    Staff Member

Most of you probably don't know this but I have been sidelined with a knee injury (work related) since the end of March. Needless to say I have been pretty miserable since I was put out of work and mainly because I am bored out of my fricken mind lol. Okay, maybe I am a little miserable because I am no where near healed at this point as well. I've had a shit load of Physical Therapy so far and it just seems like I am progressing in the wrong direction. Perhaps it's due to the inept Dr's who haven't been able to fully diagnose my problem based on an MRI that showed inconclusive for what they believed my problem originally was. Or maybe they are just too arrogant to read the notes of the therapist who is telling them exactly what my issues are regardless of what the original MRI showed. Maybe the injury got worse after the MRI, after all, I managed to work for 10 days after the MRI until I couldn't walk anymore lol. Although looking back I wasn't moving or climbing too good at all and probably would have been better off not working. I don't know, maybe it's just because the insurance companies behind workers comp tie the Dr's hands and won't approve the proper tests and treatments required due to cost. Any or all of these reasons probably fit the bill, but ultimately it seems like the Dr's really don't have a clue at this point and the insurance company won't approve another MRI. Well anyway that's all topic for another rant as it seems I steered off topic a bit. What the hell was I writing about...

Ah yes, how much I hate sitting around watching everyone else have fun lol. I have to admit that for the first few weeks after I got hurt I really wasn't in the mood to do anything and my activity on here reflected it. Honestly it kind of sucked coming on here and reading about all the riding you guys are doing, and seeing all the pics and videos knowing I couldn't, so I said screw you all and didn't come on for a while. Of course that's really not true lol, actually for the first few weeks I was still working and after work I was too damn tired and in too much pain to really come on here lol. I essentially was getting home popping some pills, icing my knee and then passing out. Once the Dr's finally placed me on restricted duty I was able to get on here again since I was not coming home from work and passing out. And yes, I still love seeing all the videos and pics from all of your rides. Better to be a back seat driver than not drive at all! But what kind of does sucks for me is not seeing you all post about the rides on here. Confused? Well let me explain...

Yes folks I am probably one of the few people who doesn't like Facebook. To me it's a necessary evil to link content from the site and that's all. The layout and interface is horrendous and I can't stand all the spam and invites to play fricken games with people I share nothing in common with. And I really hate that I have to go on there to see pics and videos from rides, and as of late it seems like that's where everything's being posted. I completely understand why you all do it as it's easy to share pics from the trails and in general it's easier to post content there from any mobile device compared to any forum based website on the go, but I just can't stand FB's interface and all the nonsense I have to go through if I want to see some pics a member has posted there. At the end of the day I really only like visiting forums to read content and view pics/vids. I guess I'm just part of a dying breed who doesn't mind taking the extra time needed to throw together a thread with some pics and videos on a forum lol. Unfortunately for this site and other small sites like it, eventually Facebook will be the end of them. I knew it before even launching this site and way back on GR. Once I started seeing members post links to their facebook galleries (or whatever the hell they call them) instead of throwing up a few pics in the forum post it was the beginning of the end!

I am just venting since as of late I have too much time to do so lol.

2. Hammer

Hammer Moderator
    Staff Member

we hope that knee heals up, we got some riding to do this summer!
    and as far as FB, ya theres alot of junk on there, but it is super easy to put up pics from your phone while on the trail.....

3. bluesmanjesse

bluesmanjesse Moderator
    Staff Member

I too was sidelined for a few weeks due to some personal health issues, I had an outpatient surgery and am nearly all healed up now and feeling pretty good. I can def sympathize with the cabin fever and stir crazy feelings being all couped up.

The whole Facebook thing is kinda like Wal Mart to me, it's giant and almost unavoidable and it sucks for the little guy.

4. Butch450

Butch450 Administrator
    Staff Member

Jack I know it's easy, too easy that's the problem lol.

Jesse there's just too much BS to filter through for me. Probably why I really hate walmart as well lol.

5. Timmi

Timmi Site Supporter

I don't care for fb either but many of my friends live there! I use google chrome and fb purity that filters the stuff I don't wanna see...

6. Gaderider13

Gaderider13 Member

FB is definitely the way of the future, everyone uses it now. It will never replace forumsms for me though, ill always be on forums. I just havent posted much on here ride wise, as i havent been riding all that much yet, between work killing me and trying to balance time for everything else going on, its sometimes hard to make time. Plus the long winter really sucked as well, atleast its nice now now. So Butch, thinking of that Wildcat trail or maverick xxc yet? :wee_hee:

7. RedRocket

RedRocket Site Supporter

I hate Facebook where 75%+ of posts are egotistical, look at me and my general life's activities where less than 5% of my friends care about.

At least forums offer a more specific topic for discussion.

That is all :93:

8. Butch450

Butch450 Administrator
    Staff Member

Timmi with fb purity can one filter out all the non related off-road posts from your friends list if needed? Not saying I don't want to view this sites members status updates as they are the only ones I actually want to read, but it seems most of the RnR fb page friends are not members here. So I have to scroll through 1000's of BS posts to see 1 or 2 off-road related posts. And unfortunately I don't have the time (well, when I am working at least lol) to go on everyday so I literally could be scrolling forever just to get through 24 hours of posts. It would be different if it was my personal fb page since I am only friends with people I actually know and members here, but I am talking about the sites page.

Waiting to see what happens with my knee. All said and done I might have to be in a SxS.

9. Timmi

Timmi Site Supporter

I don't think it will filter individual posts, just pages, ads, etc.
    http://www.fbpurity.com/

10. Kenny G

Kenny G Site Supporter

I've went to FB one time and that was enough for me, just about like Walmart, hate what it's done to all the Pop & Mom buisnesses. I'll pay the extra $ just to support hometown buisnesses.

11. Kenny G

Kenny G Site Supporter

PS, Sorry you've been out of function Butch, hope your keeping up with the housekeeping, lol........

12. NCMudman

NCMudman Member

I'm one of very few who DONT have a Facebook!! I'll just stick to forums!!

Butch I sure hope that knee can get heeled up good. With warmer weather here its time to hit the trails more! Good luck man!!

13. bore_pig

bore_pig Member

Don't Facebook or Walmart here either. Good to know I'm not alone! One of the best parts of where I live is being 40 min from the nearest Walmart!

14. mast75

mast75 Site Supporter

Sorry to hear about your knee Butch,I know all to well what you are going through and im off almost a year now and still dont know if i will be able to go back to work and the dealings with the insurance companies and doctors. I'm on here and FB and your site which is much better than FB will ever be. Keep up the good work and keep going to PT and hopefully you will be better in the coming months,if it wasnt for watching alot of everyones vids and pics on here i'd be goin crazy too.

15. liquid1

liquid1 Member

I don't do face book or any of them sites, Hope you get back up to speed soon. I have a hard time relaxing myself. Being laid up more than a few days unless it was all for fun would drive me nuts.. I feel your Frustration with Doctors, the ones on here that know me. Know I have a right calf muscle for some reason when I turned around 30 years old it stopped growing and actually is shrinking.
    I have had the 1 million dollar MRI/CT/Spinal tap you name it work up . I even been to neurologist . No one knows a Damn Diagnosis, Except I will some day if I live long enough have to wear a stilt/splint on my right leg, Or lose my right leg from my knee down.. Scary stuff.. I live life Limping and just dealing with the restless leg syndrome and just hope my hips and knees hold up. The neurologist pissed me off when he ask me 9 years ago If I wanted to be put on Disability, My answer shocked him. Hey Doc I live to work and I work to Play.. Its all I know so Heck know I don't want a Hand out.. Butch just hang in there, Maybe someone will Figure your Diagnoses out correctly. For me its almost a lost hope for a cure I just try to be as normal and as safe as I can. Hope they get you figured out soon.

16. blackbirdxp1k

blackbirdxp1k Site Supporter

Hope your knee gets better. I was laid up with broken collar bone once for 6 weeks, and that was longer than I'd ever want to be laid up again. I do fb as it way to talk family and share with them, but I do like the forum. I post more pics for rides and stuff on here than fb. Using photobucket to me helps me post pics with my phone pretty easily on here.

17. Gyrene

Gyrene Site Supporter

I hope your knee heals up good as new Butch, it's rough when you have an injury that interferes with your mobility, which in turn interferes with your quality of life... I wish you a full and speedy recovery!!!!

I'm on FB now, I was a hold out for a long time, but now that I'm on, it's a love hate relationship I have with it, sometimes I think about closing the account but keep it because of the postitive benefits, it can consume a lot of your time if you let it. It is easy and convenent.

I personally prefer the forums hands down!!!!!

I haven't been posting as much this year, mostly because I've had a lot more responsibility put on me at the beginning of this year at work and it's wore me out getting these areas in shape, the other thing is my wife and daughter have started using the internet more at home and we're always on that jagged edge of getting a FAP Notice from our satelite internet provider, actually went over several times and they slow it down to near dial up speed, it sucks but is my best and only option....

I check the forum a lot from my phone but don't post as much as I would at home from my PC because I hate typing on the phone lol....

I have pics and vids from last weekends ride and plan to get some posted today, I've just been busy catching up on yard and house work and haven't had much time to post...

Don't get down brother, stay positive through this ordeal and you'll come out on top and ready to hit the trails real soon. I've had 2 back surgeries and know first hand what it's like being out of commission and getting cabin fever, it stinks.... I also have permenent nerve damage from the back injury and hurt all day every day, I just don't let it slow me down, lifes too short and and I'm going to live it to the fullest no matter what, I hope you do too after you recover from your injury!!!

18. GrizzlyRider

GrizzlyRider Member

I was in the same boat missed 1/2 of the 2010 riding season to health issues , here's to a speedy recovery Butch your be back riding soon . As for Facebook / Walmart / Twitter all of it is not for me . I also carry a 10 year old phone for emergencies I buy the pre-paid phone cards costs me $100 a year it's only on when I'm making a call :)

19. Butch450

Butch450 Administrator
    Staff Member

:rotfl:....Thanks for the laugh.

20. My 660

My 660 Site Supporter

Reading the posts here have been interesting. Butch, I do understand the intent of your post and have some of the same thoughts on other comparisons.

My great Country Music being influxed with rap crap. It is terrible to see cultures change. Kind of like throwing the baby out with the bathwater.

The narrow well defined ATV trails that used to give a high as the riding focus had to be right on spot or them roots would "see you coming and jump out and grab the front wheel of the 46" wheeler". Now all the trails have become avenues in the woods.

I am guilty of using FB probably out of convenience. More of my friends can enjoy the posts, that would never because they wouldn't join the forums.

I guess we can find some solace in knowing that I do read the posts on the forum on a very different level than on FB. Like others, I also favor the forum over the fast paced FB posts...MD