Welcome to the Rocks and Ruts Off-Road Powersports Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

1. Welcome Guest to the Rocks and Ruts Off-Road Powersports Community Forums. Be sure to register. It's quick and 100% free.

Install of EMP Rear Bumper on 2012 Rzr

Discussion in 'Technical Articles' started by gwrrzr800, Jun 26, 2012.

1. gwrrzr800

gwrrzr800 Member

Order and recieved in my EMP Rear Bumper from MotoAlliance, my intial impression was that it was bullet proof, very well built! I put it on and figured I would take some pics and do a step by step!

First thing you have to do is remove the rear tailight plastic, which include the rear plastic bed rail, in retrospect wish I would have remove the side ones as well as it would have made it a little easier. Here is a pic of what you have after that is done!
    [​IMG]
    At this point you remove the Sub frame as shown:
    [​IMG]
    Once you remove the subframe, you then install the first frame that is supplied with the bumper as shown you use the OEM hardware that held the subframe on!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    You then install the bottom triangular shaped bracket with 3/8 bolts, here I ran into a slight problem the holes in the frame were not big enough to accept the bolts so I drilled them out a 64th over 3/8!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    *DO NOT TIGHTEN ANY BOLTS AT THIS POINT*
    You then replace the taillight plastic, it is kind of tricky to get it back in place so you just have to take your time, you will notice in my pic that the bottom triangular shaped is not on at this point, I kind of skipped ahead a bit fortunately it did not affect the final product as long as nothing gets tightened. Only problem I ran into here is that the bottom portion of the plastic was not fitting well so I ended up making a 5/8 long 3/4 Diameter spacer with clearance hole through for a 1/4-20!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    You then place the bumper on the brackets and install the 6 carriage bolts, you can then tighten the bumper bolts and then tighten all the bracket bolts!
    [​IMG]
    The last thing left to do is install the side reinforcements on, for this you need to drill 1/4 holes in the frame, I loosely installed the brackets and marked the hole on the frame then drill a clearance hole in the frame!
    [​IMG]
    Then move the brackets in place and tighten down both bolts two to the frame and then the two on the bumper.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    One of the nice features on this bumper is the fact that you can mount up to a 3500 lb winch on the bumper in the holes shown.
    [​IMG]
    I do not plan on doing this I am thinking of bolting up a rcvr and making it so that I can swap out items that I might want ie. deer hauling rack, chain saw holder, fishing pole holder, you get the idea.

I know it is short and not very detailed, but I do recommend this EMP bumper, I kind of feel sorry for some one if they rear-end me it looks like it will take a lot more abuse than the Polaris bumper I have on the front! Now I have to get the boxes open with the snow plow equipment! Any question feel free to shoot me a pm!

2. outinnavy

outinnavy Site Supporter

boy that thing should take a beating

3. Butch450

Butch450 Administrator
    Staff Member

Thanks for the write up Greg! That thing looks pretty beefy to say the least.

4. Hammer

Hammer Moderator
    Staff Member

nice looking bumper!

5. RTxmr800

RTxmr800 Member

Good lookin bumper! When I get a rzr I will be putting the EMP bumper on the front ! Thanks fer sharing !

6. KEETER

KEETER Member

Looks awesome Greg, Rick and them make some nice stuff @ EMP for sure. I like their bumper myself but where mine already treakedfrom the wreck they wouldn't look good. Keep the mods coming. That RZR is getting lots of character!

7. KEETER

KEETER Member

Also might want to check out their transmisson saver for parking on hills and such. acts like a parking brake and the newer style lets you use you feet to set and when you mash the pedal it spring off the brake pedal. Dont forget WVSXSRIDERS get a discount if you mention them as being a member!

8. gwrrzr800

gwrrzr800 Member

Thanks guys, was going to get the po po bumper but I was able to throw it in on a deal for a snow plow and I had the ok rom the boss for that not so much on the rear bumper but my wife is pretty much clueless when it comes to mechanics so I now have a rear mounting bracket for plowing in the rear, LOL. Keeter i asked about the discount they were already giving me 10 percent off for a package deal and would not give any more! I still like the looks better of the po po bumper but I know this is a much better product! Wish I could see that tranny saver I could probably make my own!

9. KEETER

KEETER Member

10. Gunny

Gunny Site Supporter

SWEEEEEET !!! :72: .... :clap:

11. gwrrzr800

gwrrzr800 Member

Checked it out Keeters looks simple enough, I will have to think about it and see what I can come up with! Thanks Gunny it's no Grizz but It'll do! Just a little update on the snow plow, did not make it thru the first step in the assy and ran into a prob! The pivot plate will not rotate like it is supposed to, called Motoalliance and they sent me paperwork to ship the part back! Can't complain to much they have handled it well so far!