Welcome to the Rocks and Ruts Off-Road Powersports Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

1. Welcome Guest to the Rocks and Ruts Off-Road Powersports Community Forums. Be sure to register. It's quick and 100% free.

Install - oversized footpegs

Discussion in 'Technical Articles' started by Bullet Bill, Aug 9, 2012.

1. Bullet Bill

Bullet Bill Site Supporter

When I bought the Grizzly in March I recieved a $10 off certificate from Yamaha on any Yamaha part purchase over $50. I got to thinking and looking around at a possible mod or just some parts. I decided to get the factory oversized footpegs. On the Yamaha web site I noticed that there was a different part number for the 2012-13 Grizzly 550-700 due to the change in the floor boards. Part number 3B4-F74M0-T0-00 for 2012-13 grizzly was ordered...not in stock? gee theres a surprise!! Cost was about $42.00 out the door with the certificate.

The directions state that you DO NOT have to remove the floor boards to do this upgrade, but I decided to take one off to take the pics.

First thing you notice is the oversized are not only longer but taller also and should provide much better traction.

[​IMG]

After removing the floorboard (optional) you will have to drill out a rivot that holds the stock footpeg in place from the underside of the floor board.

[​IMG]

Now the stock peg can simply be pulled off. The oversized peg fits right into the same slot as the stock one. Center punch two holes for the new pegs to be mounted. Then drill the required 6mm holes for the new pegs, using the supplied hardware simply bolt into place and tighten everything up.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The finished product, looks good and should the provide the added traction needed.

[​IMG]

When I did the other side, I just jacked up the quad to drill the rivot out, and left the floor board installed. The whole upgrade should take about 1/2 hour, if that. I"ll report later on how they perform once I get a chance to get out and ride.
    Thanks for checking this out and hope it helps.
    Bullet

2. Butch450

Butch450 Administrator
    Staff Member

Great write up! Thanks for posting it.

tapawhat?

3. RTxmr800

RTxmr800 Member

Looks good !

4. Hammer

Hammer Moderator
    Staff Member

nice job Bill. looks like a great upgrade!

5. Woodbooger

Woodbooger Site Supporter

Wonder if these would work as traction bars on the outside edge of the floorboards. Maybe doubled up back to back or do you think that would be overkill and just go with the sled traction bars that are a little less aggressive. Last thing you wanna do is slip off the edge of the floor board with them huge lugs grabbing some flesh.

6. Bullet Bill

Bullet Bill Site Supporter

Not sure W.B. they are quite a bit higher, they might be higher than the pegs when installed on the floorboard. I think I would go with the sled traction bars. I'm looking into them also. They're tested and proven, they can do the job. Like you said those sharp lugs could grab ya...no fun there!