Welcome to the Rocks and Ruts Off-Road Powersports Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

1. Welcome Guest to the Rocks and Ruts Off-Road Powersports Community Forums. Be sure to register. It's quick and 100% free.

Let the debate begin, Ford/Dodge/GM

Discussion in 'Members Rigs' started by Gaderider13, Sep 23, 2014.

1. Gaderider13

Gaderider13 Member

Well my current truck, a 2005 Silverado 1500 is on its way out, unfortunately. With that, means its time for a new hauler. :86: My plans are at least 3/4 ton, and diesel. After seeing how my truck was struggling with the hills going out to PA, id appreciate the power of the diesel, plus the engine longevity (5.3 in my silverado has some engine noise... not good) I have plans of picking up a smaller hitch camper, loading down a gasser 1/2 ton with 2 atvs and a camper just sounds like a bad idea to me lol. Ive been eyeing up 2500/3500 cummins, 2500/3500 duramax/allison and the NEWER 2500/3500 6.7 Powerstroke. I wouldnt touch a 6.0 or 6.4 powerstroke, those had huge issues and were notoriously horrible lol. Laura's dad is a master tech for Ford, has been working on them for 30+ years.

As of yet, im really liking the 2011+ f250 6.7. My buddy has one and with a turbo back exhaust with EGR/DPF delete and a H&S tuner hes making 430/740 HP/TQ. So far no issues.

Id love a Duramax, but those things hold their value incredibly. Anyone have experience on these trucks? All thoughts welcome. I prefer something newer, dont want to be much older than 2010 since im coming from a 05' thats falling apart lol.

2. Butch450

Butch450 Administrator
    Staff Member

More curious about your issues than offering input lol. My 5.3 has had 0 issues hauling the quads/gear and always has plenty of power on the hills. What are you hauling that your having trouble with it?

3. Gaderider13

Gaderider13 Member

Well things started off by having low oil pressure. Thought it was the oil pressure sensor, swapped that out and before I knew it, there's lifter noise and when the truck is warm there's a slight bottom end knock... With 122k on the truck. The trucks needs other work too. Water pump is leaking, evap system needs to be replaced (canister filled with black sludge), the trans cooler lines need to be replaced, I blew a brake line and had to do a quick fix to get me through winter. There's also a abs light on which could be a wheel speed sensor, bad ground or possibly the abs unit itself is bad. Tailpipe rotted off at the cherry bomb I installed (crappy steel pipe). Among other things, I just don't want to put any more time or money into it. Funny thing is, I only just paid it off... Isn't that how it always works? Lol. I figure it's time to go newer, and more power.

The 5.3 did alright, going out to SSRT it would be screaming on the hills. This was with 2 atvs, trailer, and loaded down with camping gear. All not that much really, but I was getting single digit mpg goijg out. I'm sure the 4 speed 4l60e didn't help either, anything above 60-65 and the rpms climb.

I plan on going with a diamondback bed cover so I can fit 2 atvs on the truck (need the payload capacity of 3/4-1 ton) so I'd have a open hitch, allowing me to get a small camper, much nicer than primitive camping with a tent lol.

4. bluesmanjesse

bluesmanjesse Moderator
    Staff Member

The Hemi in my Dodge has plenty of power for pulling but it likes to make power in the higher rpms. I've always been a GM guy but the Cummins is the best Diesel engine out there no doubt. Dodge is also offering a 1/2 ton with the Eco diesel and 8 speed trans which is an interesting option.

5. NCMudman

NCMudman Member

I've always been a Chevy guy. But sound like you have had similar issues as my dad has had with his 05 Chevy truck. Heck I have 2000 model Chevy and have not had some of the issues he has had. But my truck is showing its wear ...

6. Gyrene

Gyrene Site Supporter

I used to be a Chevy guy way way back and then we had 2 gm vehicles that had one problem after another and that was it for me, I parted ways with gm.

I've owned 2 diesels, a 93 dodge with the cummins and a 01 ford with the 7.3 power stroke, both great trucks. I can tell You've done your homework becUse you know to avoid the ford 6.0 and 6.4 diesels, they def have some izsues with them, these engines played a large role in the split between ford and Internaional Navistar. The new ford designed 6.7 is a great motor. Keep in mind the high cost to maintain any diesel, and they're expensive to get repaired if you have to take it to a shop.

ive had good luck with fords, both gas and diesels and my next truck will probably be another ford, with that said, I believe all of the newer trucks from all of the major manufacturers are solid, just comes down to personal preference. My neighbor has a 08 Chevy and he says my seats aren't comfortable and I feel the same way about his Chevy seats, they kill my back lol.

The cummins, duramax and new power stroke are great solid motors, I'm pRtial to the cummins and power stroke myself. With that said, the newer gas powered trucks have high tow ratings with good fuel economy and are a lot cheaper to maintain and work on. Plus gas is significantly cheaper than diesel.

Good of luck with your truck search!!! Post pics of what you buy.

7. RedRocket

RedRocket Site Supporter

If I were looking for a new 3/4 or 1 ton diesel, Ram would be high on my list as well. Although the 1/2 ton diesel is a great idea, it has been reported by many that the payload on that truck is an indication it is not for hauling medium to heavy loads. Supposed to be getting excellent MPGs though. I have not had issues with my F350 so I would look at one again...but I would look at all 3 as I am not brand loyal.

Gaderider,

If you are looking to haul two quads and a TT, you will want a 1 ton for the extra payload. Besides, a 1 ton does not cost very much more than a 3/4 ton, about $800. Weight adds up very quick on TTs and to safely tow that huge sail behind you, the TT should be nose loaded to where your tongue weight is ~ 13%. DO NOT go off of TT dry weight. That is a weight without TT options, fluids (fresh water, Propane tanks and fuel, 2 batteries) and gear. Go off of the specific GVWR of the trailer then calculate 13% of that for tongue weight. Below I have an example of my specific situation.

I've had my '11 F350 6.7L CC LB for 3 1/2 years, 40k miles and 0 problems...bought it new. I bought my truck to tow our 9500# GVWR TT which was well before I bought the the quad (sad, I know). My F350 is mechanically stock and will be staying that way. I bought it to tow and don't want to mess with it.

Here is some info I provided from a different forum when figuring out payload weight specifics:

I have a bumper pull TT that is rated at 9500# GVWR. Tongue weights are generally about 13% for TT RVs. So if I do the math loaded up for my trip next week:

loaded Grizzly 700 - 650#
    + truck driver - 50#
    weight distribution hitch - 80#
    2 passengers - 400#
    15 gals fuel - 90#
    generator - 60#
    13% tongue on 9000# loaded TT - 1170#

Subtract the above from my F350's payload of 3263# and I am left with 763# available for any added gear I want to load into the truck. So I am well within my limits. Had I a 1/2 ton, no way, I would be well over my limits based on what I want to do with my truck.

This is the general idea to figuring out load capacities. For a more exact number, you would want to actually weigh your truck unloaded and loaded, same with trailers.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2014
  8. bluesmanjesse

bluesmanjesse Moderator
    Staff Member

RedRocket is right, I reread your post and I think a 1/2 ton is too small for you. My next will be at least a 3/4 ton. The longevity of diesels is great but here in the Ohio salt belt the body will rust off a gasser before you wear the motor out so the only reason to buy the diesel is for the extra power or if you don't mind running around in a rusted out shell with a diesel for an extra 200,000 miles,lol. Today's modern diesels are amazing and the power is perfect for towing, just be honest with yourself on what features and capabilities you really need and how you'll use the truck 90% of the time.

9. Timmi

Timmi Site Supporter

I would go Ford for the powerstroke, good trans and awesome resale. My ideal truck is the old Ford medium duty with Cummins engine and Allison trans.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2014
  10. RedRocket

RedRocket Site Supporter

Want to also mention that although my TT has a GVWR of 9500#, it is not the behemoth TT that it may sound like. My TT is a 2007 Komfort Kampsite 26BHS which is regarded as a very good quality 3 season trailer. The coach is 26 feet, point to bumper is 30.5 feet. It does have a large slide and has good insulation, wood/steel construction.

It is a very good size for my family of 4 but not one of the long, 2x/3x slide dual bathroom TTs. Just want to make sure it is noted that the TT is of reasonable size for the 9500 GVWR it has. A lot don't realize how much weight you can get with a TT. Sure, there are light weight TTs but corners have to be cut to reduce weight. Usually framing members, insulation, tank sizes, etc.

11. blackbirdxp1k

blackbirdxp1k Site Supporter

I'm partial to Gm myself. My choice be the duramax or the ram. My brother just got used gmc with 85,000 miles for $21,000. Just need to look for good priced one. Everyone I know that has dmax loves them and they all had really good luck with them. As for the ram well that's cause the cummins. I have friend that works at ford dealer and he said he wouldn't buy ford diesel actually. Said he's worked on plenty of the 6.7s also. I never did ask what he had fix on them though.

12. crazyelece

crazyelece Member

Problem with a new diesel is the egr and cat crap the fed emmisions standards made them throw on. The older ones you can remove without issue, but the newer ones throw codes and act up so you have to do it right and chip them. Then you have the crap low sulfer fuel designs after '07. Don't get me wrong I love my diesel, but if I were looking at new I'd probably lean more toward gas these days.

As for the camper, you might consider looking at turning an enclosed trailer into a toy hauler. Dependig on what you want to get out of having a tt, it can be a fraction of the cost and have the added benefit of holding the offroad vehicles.

13. MattN03

MattN03 Site Supporter

Diesel is going to come at a higher cost of ownership, including regular maintance and fuel. How much weight are you actually towing, how often, and how far? I've towed my 16' double axle trailer + my 97 Accord (at least 4500 lbs total towing weight) with my 07 Tacoma 4.0L V6 double cab 4x4 without any problems from Cinninati area to central KY (about a 3 hour drive running 65 MPH). It did fine as long as I kept it in 4th and out of OD.

The biggest issue with my truck IMO is controlling the trailer in an emergency stop (swaying) even with dual trailer brakes. This is why I'll be moving to a fullsize eventually, a F-150. This is the first time I've not owned a Ford truck, and will probably be the last. EcoBoost or 5.0L :)

Truck topics are usually as opinionated as discussing your favorite off-road toy, maybe more so...lol

Last edited: Oct 10, 2014
  14. blackbirdxp1k

blackbirdxp1k Site Supporter

Comparing 3/4 ton trucks gas to diesel in terms fuel cost from my experience the diesel will be better. My brother has a 3/4 ton gas and duramax truck. The gas gets 14 mpg unloaded and less fully loaded down. Dmax 20ish unloaded and loaded 17ish from what I heard. Diesel cost more yes but better fuel mileage. My 1998 chevy half ton that just picked up gets 16 mpg which is better than his newer gas 3/4 ton truck.

15. liquid1

liquid1 Member

I have had 2 6.0 fords, 1 6.7 cummings dodge and now in a 2014 6.7 ford . I liked the grunt of the Cummins but over heated when climbing steep hills might have been due to I was looking at the sky. the dodge averaged 10.5 mpg the ford averages 9 mpg hauling 18460 lbs 24/7. the ford is extended cab and has more room, The ford pulls good and hard, more giddy up outa the hole. That said if I was buying a new truck it would be hard to choose between ford or Dodge.
    Since you have a ace in the hole Good ford technician you should be fine getting a 6.0 and do all the updates, I would look for a Dodge cummins 4x4 Super crew cab there sweet trucks if I was buying used.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2014
  16. mudslinger828

mudslinger828 Member

I wasn't in the market for a new truck, but, my tranny started acting up the other weekend and all I had was first gear.
    This was a 2001 Silverado with 135000 miles on it. I had replaced the brake lines all the way around and had some body work done, to have it last another 2-3 years. Wife said, "No more" into the truck.
    Well, I'm now the owner of a 2014 1500 Silverado LTZ crew cab.
    So far, back and forth to work, I'm averaging 17 MPG. I haven't taken it on a trip yet. I will be heading to the mountains shortly for archery season, so I will see what it gets on the highway.

17. Gyrene

Gyrene Site Supporter

Congrats on the new truck!!!!!!!!!! It sounds like you got a nice one....

I hope you get lots of years of good service out of it.... Drive safe!!!!!

18. liquid1

liquid1 Member

Yea mudslinger My co worker has the LTZ its very nice, congrats..

19. pttgrappler1

pttgrappler1 Member

Cummins!!!!
    I have an 2006 cummins with efi live
    tuning, insane power!!! Have a bunch of 2008 dirtymax's
    at work and have been having alot of troubles! A few
    snapped their cranks in half!

20. Gaderider13

Gaderider13 Member

I've kinda narrowed it down to either a powerstroke or a dodge. Test drove a buddy's 2013 f350 6.7 that's all deleted with a h&s tuner. It's beastly, does a 5.8 second 0-60 with just the deletes and tuner. He hasn't had any issues yet as well, has 35,000 miles on it, 90% of that time pulling a load of 10,000 lbs+ for work.

Have another friend with a deleted and tuned 6.7 cummins, just have to hook up with him for a test ride. So far I'm really liking the powerstroke.