Welcome to the Rocks and Ruts Off-Road Powersports Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

1. Welcome Guest to the Rocks and Ruts Off-Road Powersports Community Forums. Be sure to register. It's quick and 100% free.

March group ride in West Virginia?

Discussion in 'Eastern Regional Rides and Events' started by Hammer, Dec 18, 2015.

1. Hammer

Hammer Moderator
    Staff Member

Some guys have expressed interest in a group ride in Southern West Virginia some time in March. Let's try to get a head count and some dates. Easter is the last weekend in March this year. That leaves the 4th-6th, 11th-13th and 18th-20th. I would think we would have a better chance for good weather later in the month, but that's just a guess, lol

Gyrene, liquid1 and My 660 like this.
  2. NCMudman

NCMudman Member

Good catch on Easter! That weekend would be out for me too. I just gotta verify at work nobody else has any time off requests for then.

As a few of y'all know I've been in dying to go up there and ride. And it shouldn't be hard to convince my brother to go as well cause he's always wanted to go as well

Last edited: Dec 18, 2015
    liquid1, My 660 and Hammer like this.
  3. MattN03

MattN03 Site Supporter

Possibly. Would it be HM or outlaw trails (have to buy a pass if it's HM)? Where would we be staying, near which town?

liquid1 and My 660 like this.
  4. Hammer

Hammer Moderator
    Staff Member

Most likely both, Matt.
    We would be staying close to Ashland, Northfork, Crumpler

MattN03 and My 660 like this.
  5. My 660

My 660 Site Supporter

The March 11-13 will work for me, but probably can make any of them if I had to. The later in the month weather thing is probably a wise thing. The way the H/M trails and connectors are interwoven I will have a pass to protect myself from being on a short stretch of it and not have the pass.

Believe it or not, the road in front of Tiny's is part of the official Indian Ridge-Pinnacle Creek Connector. Will we get stopped, probably not, but we never know. That is just my thoughts, others have ridden for years and never had a pass.

Keeter, Gyrene and I know the guy who owns the 2 new cabins at Hilltop that will sleep 4-5 each easily, and if Hilltop is where the rest wants to base out of, I will gladly call for the information.

There are many sections of the Outlaw Trails that are actually made better by being able to ride the H/M section when needed. Spider Creek Trail is one of them going towards Mullens and the Pocahontas Trail going to Bramwell or gaining access to the west side of US52 on the Gyrene Trails.

Any and all of the above is just for information to help put the ride together, if any of it helps, OK, and if it doesn't, that is OK also. I'll keep up with the thread and hope to be able to make it...MD

Gyrene, MattN03 and NCMudman like this.
  6. Hammer

Hammer Moderator
    Staff Member

Mike, I wouldn't mind seeing the other side of 52, or the Virginia stuff. I've never made it to welch or mullens, so I am game for anything new!

My 660 likes this.
  7. My 660

My 660 Site Supporter

Jack, if that is the case, my suggestion would be to stay in Bramwell. That is a more central point for that area. That is not to say Hilltop is too far, It just wouldn't be in the center of the west of US52 and Tazewell County, VA where the Original Pocahontas Trail is located. There are some strong connections in Bramwell also. I guess it is ok to post lodging links here, if not please remove them. These are a couple of places we have stayed and are very clean and reasonable especially with the higher number of riders. AND Jack, I think others will enjoy the areas not ridden before also.

https://www.bramwellatvresort.com/accommodations.html This link has 2 houses one sleeps 12-14 and one sleeps 8.

http://bramwellrentals.com/ There is not a picture of it but this group has a 3 bedroom house that can be available.

Plus being right there in Bramwell puts us near all the eateries including the Buffalo Trails Restaurant. AND again, all of the above is just information to help make an informed decision. I hope this helps make things a little easier to decide...MD

Gyrene, liquid1 and Hammer like this.
  8. Hammer

Hammer Moderator
    Staff Member

Bramwell is a damn sight closer to civilization than anywhere else I've stayed down there. I just figured we'd use the usual area (hilltop, riders paradise, wagon wheel) as the home base. But anywhere is good, other than northfork. I get nervous leaving my machine outside at the gas pump in that town, lol

liquid1 and My 660 like this.
  9. My 660

My 660 Site Supporter

There is enough information out there now that the decision should be easily made. I'll keep watching to see what weekend it will be...MD

10. NCMudman

NCMudman Member

OK I've got a guy on my crew wanting a week off in March but it doesn't matter to him which week, so as of right now any of the mentioned weekends is open for me. He will work around whichever weekend I do

liquid1, Hammer and My 660 like this.
  11. Kenny G

Kenny G Site Supporter

Sounds like fun!!!!

My 660 likes this.
  12. bluesmanjesse

bluesmanjesse Moderator
    Staff Member

So is Ivy Branch still open or is it closed?

13. bluesmanjesse

bluesmanjesse Moderator
    Staff Member

Would it be possible to stay somewhere like Twin Hollow Campground on Rockhouse and ride all the way to HIlltop for dinner with Keeter and then night ride back or am I being foolish and overambitious? It's 60 miles by road so it's probably a good bit more by trail. It's probably too much but I've always wanted to plan a ride at HM where you ride from destination to destination and cover like 2-3 trail systems in a day, staying at a different place each night. I think that would be fun and a challenge to pack all your stuff along with you.

NCMudman likes this.
  14. Hammer

Hammer Moderator
    Staff Member

That would be cool, Jesse. We'd have to leave early in the a.m. and ride all day, which sounds perfect!

bluesmanjesse likes this.
  15. Hammer

Hammer Moderator
    Staff Member

I believe it was little coal river and ivy branch that closed

bluesmanjesse likes this.
  16. NCMudman

NCMudman Member

Boy now that sounds like an adventure!!

liquid1 and bluesmanjesse like this.
  17. liquid1

liquid1 Member

Jesse, is Rock house up by Charleston WV, I have ridden dirt bikes in Charleston all over the Mountain with a few gncc riders on Coal and paper mill lands, Very steep terrain compared to what I have seen riding Ashland area. 60 miles by road would that be 200 miles by trails or more..

18. bluesmanjesse

bluesmanjesse Moderator
    Staff Member

Rock House trail head/Twin Hollow campground is in Gilbert WV James.

Hammer and liquid1 like this.
  19. Gyrene

Gyrene Site Supporter

I have a new boss so unfortunately I don't know if I can be off or not, I just had to cancel on a trip that I should be on right now....

I will say later in the month of March is better for me because Jan-Mar is our busiest time of the year at work, plus we have an unannounced audit between Dec 28 and Mar 26, I have no idea when the auditor will show up, I hope earlier in the year.

But know this, I will do everything within my ability to be there!!!!!

Matt, Like Mike said, it's best to buy the HMT Permit because there are too many times you have to get on the HMT trails to create good looped routes to prevent excessive backtracking and pavement riding.

My 660, liquid1 and NCMudman like this.
  20. NCMudman

NCMudman Member

So has anyone narrowed down a set date?

How much is the pass to ride?