Welcome to the Rocks and Ruts Off-Road Powersports Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

1. Welcome Guest to the Rocks and Ruts Off-Road Powersports Community Forums. Be sure to register. It's quick and 100% free.

My Jeep and new Duratracs

Discussion in 'Members Rigs' started by wrekd, Apr 16, 2014.

1. wrekd

wrekd Site Supporter

Nothing special but here's my 2000 HEEP, I mean Jeep Cherokee...lol...I put a 3" Zone Off-road lift on it and a set of 31x10.50 Goodyear Wrangler Duratracs. So far the Duratracs are pretty impressive off-road for being an aggressive A/T tire. I run them at 28psi because the Cherokee is pretty light and rides like a dump truck with any more then that. Even without airing down they hook pretty damn good off-road. They're actually a little better in the mud then I thought they would be. They clean out fairly well with a little bit of wheel speed and send chunks of mud flying. The sidewall lugs help out in the ruts too. A couple times I would slide a little and as soon as I hit the side of the rut you could feel them bite right in and get you moving better. Rock traction was really good too. They have a lot of siping and the tread compound feels pretty soft. Even at 28psi they seemed to flex well and wrapped themselves around the rocks pretty good.

Now the Jeep is a different story. It's a love hate relationship with this thing. I like it off-road but on road isn't to good. I've never been much of a Jeep fan and now I know why. It's small, noisy, rides like crap, and handles like a shopping cart. And it's about as aerodynamic as a brick...lol... A good gust of wind at highway speeds and it damn near switches lanes by itself. Good thing I only drive 25 miles round trip to work and back. But anyway here's a few pics out testing the tires:,,,

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. RedRocket

RedRocket Site Supporter

Too bad you don't like your Cherokee so much. I loved the 90 Cherokee Limited I had even with the MANY electrical gremlins it had...thing climbed the off-road like a mountain goat while behaving well on-road. I would not be opposed to owning another, with the I6, one day again.

3. wrekd

wrekd Site Supporter

Yeah mine has a lot of little electrical problems too. Power door locks work when they want and same with the windows. Blower motor interior lights etc... Can't seem to get the cooling system right either. I replaced just about everything. Radiator, water pump, t-stat, flushed twice, and bled the shit out of it. Still runs at 220 most of the time. When it gets hot and I let it sit for a few mins and start it back up it misses like crazy and runs like crap for a few minutes. Supposedly a design flaw when they changed the head design on the 99+ models. As far as the drivetrain it's great. I know these 4.0's run forever. It's just all the stupid little shit that sucks on these things. I'd rather replace a motor or trans then deal with all this little annoying stuff. It's definitely a "Jeep Thing"...lol...these things are toys and that's it. But overall I still like it. It is what it is.

4. RedRocket

RedRocket Site Supporter

I actually fixed the majority of my electrical problems and would be surprised if Chrysler hadn't addressed the issue 10 years later for your MY. Anyway, what I found was a grouping of wiring that was routed next to the front driver side seat belt gear-stop mechanism was getting chewed up in the gears, cross-linking and grounding. I repaired all the wires and zip-tied them away from the gear-stop and most of the issues were resolved. I also checked the passenger side, there were wires but not getting chewed up...however secured them as well.

My Cherokee also ran hot so I had a much bigger than OEM radiator installed...seemed to help a lot.

5. MattN03

MattN03 Site Supporter

Love the Duratrac's I have on my Tacoma. Good road manners (starting to get noiser with 38k miles on them), and good traction in fields, etc when pulling my 16' trailer.

6. wrekd

wrekd Site Supporter

These things were known for their electrical issues. Especially the Grand Cherokees. But yeah I'll have to check that wiring out. Were they under the carpet or did they run behind the molding/kick paneling that runs along the side? I know theres some wiring that runs behind the molding. As far as the power windows and locks alot of people say its the master switch on the drivers door. I have to get to the junkyard and grab another one. The cooling problem is what really pisses me off though. And alot of people have the same problem and could never figure it out. Thats probably why I see alot of people with Cherokees around here with hood vents.

7. wrekd

wrekd Site Supporter

Yeah I like them so far. I hear alot of people getting 50k+ out of them on the lighter vehicles.

8. RedRocket

RedRocket Site Supporter

yes, wiring bundle is behind the molding on the B-pillar

9. bore_pig

bore_pig Member

My duratracs(285/75-16) were wearing very well when installed on my Trailblazer. Now that I have moved them to my 3/4t chev they are wearing fast from the extra weight though. I rotate them every 5000mi. They should last quite a while on your cherokee.

10. wrekd

wrekd Site Supporter

My boss has a set on his 2500hd and he said he has about 30k on his but they're down there pretty good. He'll probably get 40-45k out of them. That's not bad at all for an agressive tire on a heavy truck though.