Welcome to the Rocks and Ruts Off-Road Powersports Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

1. Welcome Guest to the Rocks and Ruts Off-Road Powersports Community Forums. Be sure to register. It's quick and 100% free.

Observations of Teryx 800 vs Wolverine R-spec

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by bluesmanjesse, Jan 15, 2017.

1. bluesmanjesse

bluesmanjesse Moderator
    Staff Member

So since I've gotten the Wolverine I've been getting a bunch of questions about it vs my Teryx. I figured I'd post a few observations here.

Details of Each ride:

Iphone 6 March 13 2015 485.JPG

2014 Kawasaki Teryx 800
    Mods:
    -Bandit Series 46 Shocks
    -Ricochet skids
    -27" Dirt Commanders on HD Beadlocks
    -LED lights 42" Bar and a pair of Rigid Duallies
    -2" Highlifter lift kit
    -Kawi Bumpers, roof, etc
    -Superwinch Terra 45

IMG_3329.JPG

2016 Yamaha Wolverine R-spec SE

-Yami rear cargo box
    SE features-
    -Fully adjustable KYB piggyback shocks
    -Full aluminum skids
    -Yami beadlock wheels with 26" BH 2.0 tires
    -underseat storage box
    -Black/Orange/Silver graphics
    -Roof
    -Upgraded steering wheel
    -Fender Flares

OK now into the comparisons...

Power
    -Slight Edge to the Teryx, it has a bit better grunt down low thanks to the V-twin and the extra cc's
    -The Wolverine is no slouch though mid range is very strong in the Wolvy and it weighs 300lbs less than the Teryx
    - I'd say if you plan to do a lot of work, towing, hauling loads etc the Teryx power would suit you best. If your trail riding you won't feel underpowered with either rig.

4WD Systems/Drivetrain
    -Both machines feature a very similar 4WD setup having 2wd/4wd/and 4wd diff lock
    -Both have high and low range
    -Both use a CVT but from past experience I think Yamaha's "Ultramatic" CVT is the best in the business
    -The Teryx has very beefy axles, the rear axles of a Teryx are the beefiest I've seen on any SXS
    -Teryx is mid engine and Wolvy is rear engine, The mid engine layout in the Kawi makes it balanced and planted when climbing hills or running fast powersliding kind of stuff, the only drawback is it's a pain to access the engine to do maintenance, etc. The mid engine of the Kawi also equates to cockpit heat and noise, heat is welcome in cold weather riding but not so much in summer. The rear engine of the Wolvy solves the heat problem but it does require you take the bed off to do certain maintenance.

Convenience and Storage
    -
    Hands down the Teryx 2 seater has the best on board storage of any SXS on the market, the rear storage boxes are huge!
    -My first addition to the Wolvy was the Yamaha rear storage box, you lose part of your bed but it is an awesome box, now that I've added it the Wolverine has plenty of storage
    -In the cockpit the Wolverine has a very nice center console and a nice glovebox, the Teryx only has a Glovebox.
    -Cupholders are in the same place on both machines, front of the center console, the ones in the Kawi are sitting right on top of the engine so your drink will be piss warm eventually even with the best koozie you can find. So the Wolvy wins that point.
    -The tilt bed of the Teryx is nicer for work chores and cleaning after a ride(same goes for the tilting hood).

Comfort and ride quality
    -The ride of the Wolverine is better hands down, I even rode a friends T2 with a long travel kit on it and the Wolverine still rides better.(This was my biggest reason for getting the Wolverine).
    -The seats are equally comfortable on each machine
    -The Wolverine sits you in towards the center of the cockpit a little more which translates to less jostling left and right on rough terrain.
    -The Doors on the T2 are higher and offer more protection than the ones in the Wolverine.
    -The Kawasaki is a very sturdy machine and it feels like it when you're driving it, it's ride is more truck-like for lack of a better word
    -The Wolverine rides much smoother and handles very well, it's shorter wheelbase gives you the slightest bit of bounciness on whoops type bumps but the KYB shocks do an excellent job of keeping everything smoothed out.

Overall fit and finish
    -I have to give a slight edge to the Wolverine here, there's not a huge difference but the Yamaha feels just a little more polished
    - I will note the 2016 Teryx they redesigned a few things and they are probably right back on par with the Yamaha now.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2017
    liquid1, ponti1, MattN03 and 3 others like this.
  2. NCMudman

NCMudman Member

Cool write up Jesse! Look forward to seeing how you set the wolvy up to your liking!!

liquid1 and bluesmanjesse like this.
  3. Hammer

Hammer Moderator
    Staff Member

Great comparisons, Jesse. Looking forward to your long term thoughts

liquid1, Gyrene and bluesmanjesse like this.
  4. bluesmanjesse

bluesmanjesse Moderator
    Staff Member

I'm looking forward to riding the Wolvy more to get those long term thoughts! :wee_hee:

liquid1 and Gyrene like this.
  5. Timmi

Timmi Site Supporter

tilt hood and bed or some sort of access should be on all sxs
    you can buy yxz seats for less than 200 bucks that are better than the wolvy seats

liquid1, bluesmanjesse and Gyrene like this.
  6. Hammer

Hammer Moderator
    Staff Member

That's a fad I don't understand. I don't think the Wolverine seats are at all uncomfortable. I've driven a few YXZ's and didn't think the seats were any more or less comfortable. Also not a fan of the YXZ steering wheel swap. Don't really like my hands sticking to the wheel

liquid1 and Gyrene like this.
  7. Gyrene

Gyrene Site Supporter

Nice write up Jesse!

I also look forward to hearing your thoughts on it after you've a thousand or so Mile's on it.

liquid1 and bluesmanjesse like this.
  8. liquid1

liquid1 Member

Great comparisons , Both seem to be excellent machines . Congrats..

9. Timmi

Timmi Site Supporter

to me the yxz seats and wheel are way better
    I don't have the wheel...yet
    i have a dragonfire wheel
    I don't like the stock plastic one at all