Welcome to the Rocks and Ruts Off-Road Powersports Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

1. Welcome Guest to the Rocks and Ruts Off-Road Powersports Community Forums. Be sure to register. It's quick and 100% free.

Pawltector RZR Parking Brake Install and First Impressions

Discussion in 'Project RZR Installation Articles' started by bluesmanjesse, Nov 17, 2012.

1. bluesmanjesse

bluesmanjesse Moderator
    Staff Member

Pawltector RZR parking brake Install/First Impressions

Well as most new RZR owners soon realize the RZR really needs a parking brake! The first time you park on a hill you'll find out that its very difficult to put the shifter back into gear from the parked position. This is caused by the weight of the RZR putting pressure on the driveline. This is where the Pawltector comes into play! If you have to park on a hill or incline, first set the Pawltector parking brake, then place the RZR shifter in park, when you're ready to roll again,shift back into drive, then a quick push on the brake pedal will release the spring loaded Pawltector and you're ready to go! Here's a few pictures to give you an idea of how it operates.

pawltector_1.jpg pawltector_2.jpg pawltector_3.jpg pawltector_4.jpg

Installation is pretty straightforward and the Pawltector is supplied with very easy to follow directions. The first thing you should do is place a towel or some shop rags over the drain holes in the floorboard so that any dropped bolts don't end up trapped down on your skid plates.

pawltector_5.jpg

Next find the two bolts sticking through the firewall just to the right of the brake pedal arm, you'll remove the top one and loosen the bottom one until its almost off.

pawltector_6.jpg

pawltector_7.jpg

Next slide the grooved bolt hole on the bottom of the Pawltector over the bottom stud and into place over the top stud.

pawltector_8.jpg

Next tighten the top and bottom nuts alternating every few turns until both are tight. The bottom nut is pretty tricky and it will be slow going with a 13mm wrench but that's about the best way to do it, for the top nut I used a 1/4" ratchet with an extension to get the ratchet out past the steering shaft.

pawltector_9.jpg

Once both nuts are tight you may or may not need to adjust the catch, I had to take it out two turns on my RZR, as you probably know Polaris doesn't build any two RZR's exactly identical. Adjustment is really easy to do. You will need to remove the two Allen head screws on top with a 3/16" hex key to remove the toe plate.

pawltector_10.jpg

Next you will loosen the 9/16" jam nut on the threaded rod.

pawltector_11.jpg

Then unhook the spring from one end,needle nose pliers work well for this. Then you just rotate the catch in or out the desired amount until the Pawltector will hold the brakes firmly but still release when you step on the brakes.

pawltector_12.jpg

Once you have it adjusted install the toe plate with the Allen head screws to help line up the catch then tighten the jam nut to lock the catch in place, reattach the spring and you're done! It should look like this once installed.

pawltector_13.jpg

The Pawltector is a simple but very effective parking brake and it will work with power steering also, they have recently come out with a version for the popular 570 RZR as well. It's 1/8" 5051 Aircraft aluminium all cut on a water jet with stainless steel hardware and a ball bearing pivot.

For more info on the Pawltector contact RXUTV at www.rxutv.com or email them at rxutv@yahoo.com

2. Butch450

Butch450 Administrator
    Staff Member

Looks like every RZR owner needs this! Great write up Jesse :clap:

3. DrMud

DrMud Site Supporter

Yesterday, at Turkey Bay, a friend put his 2013 Razor 570 Trail Edition in park on a hill, .......and you guessed it stuck in gear. I had to push him bumper to bumper...and fortunately we both had bumpers to allow him to disengage from park, We both have the EMP bumper version where the winch mounts on the bumper... Then My bumper was hung up on the top of his winch, The RZR S 800 is a little taller. We gently pulled then apart without damage. If a person was alone....they would be screwed. Buy a parking brake if you are on team Polaris.

4. DrMud

DrMud Site Supporter

BluesmanJesse, Great write up. The best that I have ever seen on this brake control system. :sign0098:

5. Jfer

Jfer Site Supporter

Nice write up Jesse. Sounds like the pawltector is a simple solution to a common problem.

6. Hammer

Hammer Moderator
    Staff Member

looks great, Jesse. every RZR owner i know complains of the lack of a parking brake, this looks like an easy way to solve the problem!