Welcome to the Rocks and Ruts Off-Road Powersports Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

1. Welcome Guest to the Rocks and Ruts Off-Road Powersports Community Forums. Be sure to register. It's quick and 100% free.

Pics from South West NC Mtns

Discussion in 'Pictures and Videos' started by Gyrene, Jun 16, 2013.

1. Gyrene

Gyrene Site Supporter

I've been away from the forum most of this week tent camping in the South Western North Carolina mountains with my wife, daughter and one of her friends.

The area we go to is in Graham County NC, around the town of Robbinsville NC, this is the area my family is from and I would live there today if I could make a living there, there's just no industry up there, less than 8000 people live in the county, approx 70% of the county is national forest and it's absolutely beautiful there....

This is great motorcycling road country, the Tail of the Dragon (318 curves in 11 miles) Tail of the Dragon at Deals Gap, motorcycle and sport car two lane tourism serving Tail of the Dragon at Deals Gap, Cherohala Skyway, Moonshiner28, Devils Triangle, and Six Gap North Georgia. starts in the county moving into Swain Co NC and then into TN, there is also the upper Moonshiner 28 or HWY 28 Moonshiner 28 from Tail of the Dragon at Deals Gap to Walhalla SC that winds along in Graham Co following the Cheoah River as well as the Cheohala Skyway Cherohala Skyway, mile high legend from Robbinsville NC to Tellico Plains TN and Cherohala Skyway, mile high legend from Robbinsville NC to Tellico Plains TN...

This a good pic of the Cherohala Skyway

1. [​IMG]

We had great weather for the most part bar the thunderstorms Thursday evening...

We went swimming in Lake Santeetlah at the Cheoah Point Recreation area, the water is clear and cool for those hot summer days
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

There's a cool rope swing too.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Looking back at the beach from the rope swing
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

If you look close you can see someone swinging out to drop in the water
    [​IMG]

More to follow

2. Gyrene

Gyrene Site Supporter

Some Kayackers
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Local wildlife
    [​IMG]

Here's a waterfall on HWY 28 aka Moonshiner 28, it's called Bridals Veil Falls, the cool thing about it is you can drive behind it.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

There are a lot of waterfalls in this area around Franklin NC, Highland NC and Cashiers NC, another one just down the road is Dryfalls, it's huge and you can walk behind it, here's a pic of Dry Falls that I haven't uploaded to PB yet
    HPIM3843.jpg

There are some great motorcycling roads in the area and just plain taking a nice drive in the country side in your car, or as my wife and I call it, Scooter Pooten... Anyone headed to this area and has any questions please don't hesitate to contact me, I'll help all I can....

3. Thunderdually

Thunderdually Member

Beautiful country. I love the water falls. Thanks for sharing your pictures with us. I have put this area on my list as a place i would love to visit.

4. liquid1

liquid1 Member

Terry Very nice photo's, in the 1st photo is that Bobby and his new Gal...I have by mistake taken my Service truck up the Road into Hilands and My Butt was puckerd the entire time..More like a pig path. The water falls are amazing.

5. NCMudman

NCMudman Member

Haha yep just right over the mountain from me!! Dang I wish I could have made it over to visit!!

6. Gyrene

Gyrene Site Supporter

Thanks Thunderdually!!! Yes sir, it is some beautiful country and it's not too bad of a drive up from FL, come visit anytime.

Thanks Jame's!!! No, it's not Bobby, he was working and didn't make this trip, I was out numbered by the ladies, it was just my wife, daughter and one of her friends. I can relate to your driving experience through Highlands, I drove an old welding truck with a large rack through there years ago and at times I thought the rack was going to scrape the rocks next to the road.

It's a great motorcycling road though, it's been resurfaced recently too...

I sure wish you could have made it over too, but I understand the having to work thing too... Maybe next time...

7. Gyrene

Gyrene Site Supporter

I forgot to mention the Joyce Kilmer Memorial Forest in the County, it has the largest trees east of the Miss River.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

This is a cool place to visit while there too...

8. Gunny

Gunny Site Supporter

Freak'in awesome photo's Gyrene ... and if they are like most photo's, they don't really do the country justice !! Just gorgeous ... and that lake looks likeit would be a blast !!

THANKS for shar'in !!

9. Hammer

Hammer Moderator
    Staff Member

Great pics, Terry! looks like a great place to visit and just take a drive!

10. gator

gator Member

Great pics. I'll have to take Pam & the twins up to see those waterfalls sometime,they would love it!!!

11. MattN03

MattN03 Site Supporter

Beautiful pics. I have always told my wife if we couldn't live in KY (where we grew up), I'd love to live in the Carolina's!

12. Gyrene

Gyrene Site Supporter

They would love the waterfalls, that particular part of the state is famous for it's waterfalls.

Thanks Matt!!! The Carolina's are beautiful states, they have both the beach's and the mountains plus the sand hills, piedmont and foothills in between. I just wish they were both more ATV friendly like WV and KY....

Kentucky is also a beautiful state, I'm going to make it up there one of these days to ride, hopefully you'll be my trail guide when I make it lol....

13. Thunderdually

Thunderdually Member

Thanks for the invite. I may just do that some day I would love to see the area. It would be great to ride some of those trails you ride.

14. Butch450

Butch450 Administrator
    Staff Member

Looks nice and relaxing :862438: Someday I will get my ass out of Jersey and the Carolina's are were I would love to end up. Maybe once the kids are grown.

15. MattN03

MattN03 Site Supporter

Just let me know and I'll get a good group ride together :)

16. liquid1

liquid1 Member

Damn butch, you surprised me with this one..:headbang:Come on Down we all will show you around..Terry you got some killer shots of the area..You got me wanting to see them big ole trees for sure..Beautiful lake..

17. Gyrene

Gyrene Site Supporter

Just let me know when you're coming up and we'll ride a couple of places.

Like Jame's said, come on down and we'll show you around...

That sounds awesome to me, I hope to be contacting you before the end of summer, or at least this fall....

Thank's again Jame's!!!!

One thing most people don't realize is that the great pics you took in the NC Mtns is in the northwest part of the state, it's very beautiful and quite different than the Mtns in the southwestern part of the state. There seems to be more rock formations up north and the plant life in the two areas is different, it's actually hard to explain but obvious once you see both areas with your own eyes, both uniquely beautiful, it gives you a lot of variety.

18. SC800

SC800 Site Supporter

My wife and I used to ride around up there on the weekends when we were dating, one of those lets go for a ride and never know where we were going just going. Thoise were the days now when ever we go riding my daughter feels we should have a destination and an eta as to when we will get there.

19. blackbirdxp1k

blackbirdxp1k Site Supporter

Nice pics!!

20. Gyrene

Gyrene Site Supporter

You live real close to Highlands and Cashiers, just up the mountain and you're there. It's a nice little getaway spot...

Thank you very much!!!!!!