Welcome to the Rocks and Ruts Off-Road Powersports Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

1. Welcome Guest to the Rocks and Ruts Off-Road Powersports Community Forums. Be sure to register. It's quick and 100% free.

Project RZR Ricochet Offroad Armor Install/First Impressions

Discussion in 'Project RZR Installation Articles' started by bluesmanjesse, Sep 23, 2012.

1. bluesmanjesse

bluesmanjesse Moderator
    Staff Member

Project RZR Ricochet Offroad Armor Install/First Impressions

ricochet_offroad_armor.jpg

Well first off we can all agree the factory skid plate on the RZR is marginal protection at best, our project RZR has only 1400 miles on it and the factory skids are shot! The frame was absorbing more of the impact than the skids were and the factory CV boot protection is a joke! One of the OEM rear CV protectors had actually gotten pushed in under the A-arm and was rubbing on the CV boot!

ricochet_1.jpg
    ricochet_2.jpg
    ricochet_3.jpg

ricochet_4.jpg
    During the removal of the factory belly skid 4 of the bolts were rusted and broke off when we tried to remove them, if this happens to you we suggest you grind the remaining part of the bolt flat with a grinding wheel, then use a good sharp center punch to punch a guide dimple in the center of the bolt. Next start with a small drill and drill out the center of what's left of the bolt shaft, then work your way up using progressively bigger drill bits until you get close to the size of the bolt, stay a touch smaller so that the thread cutting bolts supplied by Ricochet will get a good tight bite in the hole you have drilled.
    ricochet_5.jpg
    As you can see from the pictures the beating the frame took through the factory skids knocked the paint off in certain areas and allowed surface rust to start on the frame. So while we had easy access we decided to wire brush the frame to get the rust off and then we sprayed it with truck bed liner to prevent future rust from forming now that the frame will be well protected by the Ricochet skid plates.
    ricochet_6.jpg

ricochet_7.jpg

Now that we have the frame all prepped and ready to receive the new Ricochet skids let's see what's in the boxes. The skids came from Ricochet in two boxes, a large box containing the belly skids and a smaller 12"x16" box containing the A-arm guards. Ricochet packages the hardware associated with each piece in a plastic bag and then they zip tie the bag to the appropriate piece, this makes it very easy, you don't have to sort through a big pile of bolts to figure out which bolt goes where. Ricochet also sends a very easy to follow set of instructions with pictures and a listing of what hardware is used with each piece.
    ricochet_8.jpg
    ricochet_9.jpg
    ricochet_10.jpg
    ricochet_11.jpg

Ricochet recommends installing the front skid first and then working your way to the back. The front skid attaches with two bolts with nylon lock nuts and two of the self locking nut plates. The two large middle skids are held on with the ¼-20 self tapping hex bolts and cupped washers, and the rear plate is held on by four 8x20mm bolts and nut plates. The A-Arm guards in front are held on by the heavy duty steel clamps with the welded on nuts which are super easy to install. The rear A-Arm guards are held on by 4 bolts the go straight through the A-arms and also use nylon locking nuts and washers to hold them securely in place.
    ricochet_12.jpg
    ricochet_13.jpg

With the full set from Ricochet installed it really makes a dramatic difference in the looks of the undercarriage on our Project RZR and we are confident that our RZR can tackle the roughest rockiest terrain without worrying about damage to the frame or vital components underneath.

ricochet_14.jpg

This is the third set of Ricochet skids I have installed, the previous two being on Yamaha Grizzly ATVs, and I can say the same great quality that was present in the ATV skids has carried over to their UTV skids also. The welds on the CV guards are all top notch tig welds and the fitment is spot on. The only hitch we had during our install was the broken factory bolts. With that in mind we would recommend if you've just bought a new UTV the first thing you should change is the skid plates, don't wait until your undercarriage is all beat up and the bolts that hold the factory skids on are all rusted up! Make it easy on yourself and protect your new investment with a quality set of skid plates from Ricochet, they are heavy duty and Ricochet has done their homework on fitment, all the holes line up perfectly and Ricochet provides access holes for all your factory service points, differential drains, oil drain plug, etc. 

It doesn't take long to justify the cost of these skid plates when you factor in the cost of torn CV boots, frame damage, engine damage (oil pan punctures, etc). Another benefit with the Ricochet Offroad Armor is an increase in rigidity in your frame when compared to the OEM setup. Do yourself and your machine a favor, toss out that flimsy factory skid plate and get serious about protecting the sizable investment you've made in your RZR or other UTV, install a good quality set of Ricochet Offroad Armor for top notch protection and piece of mind. Stay tuned for a follow up review of the Ricochet Offroad Armor after we have put them through their paces out in the rocky trails that we love to ride!

For more information on Ricochet Offroad Armor or any of their other offroad products for your UTV or ATV contact the good folks at Ricochet here!

Attached Files:

2. Butch450

Butch450 Administrator
    Staff Member

Great write up Jesse. Can't wait to see you abuse them lol.

3. Hammer

Hammer Moderator
    Staff Member

cxan't wait to see you bang'em up in WV in a few weeks!

4. KEETER

KEETER Member

Jeese did you put any anti seige compound on the bolts for the A Arm guards? The reason I ask is if there is any piece
    you will have to take back off will probably be the A Arm guards due to shaft or boot replacement and or bushings on the A Arms.

5. liquid1

liquid1 Member

Great write up for sure...Dangit you guys have me checking Cregslist for a RZR..Ya'll killing me..Guess I can keep dreaming for a while..
    Skids look cool and will protect the frame big time..Best Investment I've made to my grizz so far.

6. bluesmanjesse

bluesmanjesse Moderator
    Staff Member

Keeter Ricochet recommends putting a drop of oil on them when you install them but I put some non metallic anti seize on them that I had laying around, it seemed to work fine. I already started beating them up today Jack ;)

7. Jfer

Jfer Site Supporter

Jesse, those sure look like they will offer great protection for the under belly of the RZR. Be sure and give a long term update.

8. bluesmanjesse

bluesmanjesse Moderator
    Staff Member

Jfer I have begin to abuse them already and I'll return with a full report once I feel like I've abused the armor enough for a good review, one ride logged so far and they are just begging for more! ;)

9. MattN03

MattN03 Site Supporter

Great write up! I love my Ricochet A-arm guards on my Kodiak. I'm hoping to be purchasing a Teryx4 whenever I get my Mustang sold and have been debating the Ricochet skids vs UHMW. It'd be interesting to see a comparison between the two materials to see which holds up better, weight differences, etc. I'd think the Ricochet's would be tougher, but I see a lot of SxS's with the UHMW.

10. bluesmanjesse

bluesmanjesse Moderator
    Staff Member

Matt I saw a sweet Teryx this weekend when I was at Haspin, It was red with red beadlock wheels and a wide arm kit, it looked sick,and sounded awesome! He was running aluminum skids, but I couldn't tell what kind they were. I think there are positives and negatives to both materials. For me personally I have access to a TIG Welder so if by some extreme circumstance I manage to break one I can pound it back into shape and weld it up good as new, so these should outlast the RZR,lol.