Welcome to the Rocks and Ruts Off-Road Powersports Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

1. Welcome Guest to the Rocks and Ruts Off-Road Powersports Community Forums. Be sure to register. It's quick and 100% free.

Racer Tech 2" Lift and Sway Bar Disconnect Kit Install and First Impressions

Discussion in 'Project RZR Installation Articles' started by bluesmanjesse, Jul 13, 2013.

1. bluesmanjesse

bluesmanjesse Moderator
    Staff Member

Racer Tech 2" Lift and Sway Bar Disconnect Kit
    Install and First Impressions

rtlogo.jpg

We have installed several of Racer Tech's fine products on the Project RZR already and it's hard to believe it took us this long to install the product Racer Tech is famous for! Almost everyone we asked about lift kits for our RZR always said Racer Tech was the way to go long before we had used any of their other products the Racer Tech lift came highly recommended. Some other lift kits on the market are known to cause premature damage and failure to CV joints among other issues but Racer Tech has done extensive research and development to ensure that those problems don't exist with their 2' lift kit. The 2' lift is just about perfect for the standard 50' wide RZR, it gets you up over a lot of the trail obstacles that would normally give your undercarriage a jolt without putting the center of gravity too high to adversely affect handling.

rt_lift_1.jpg

Andy from Racer Tech also hooked us up with the RZR 800 50" Quick Disconnect Front Sway Bar Kit which is a perfect complement to the 2' lift kit. The sway bar disconnect kit allows you to quickly disconnect the front sway bar links and attach them to a docking point under the front bumper if you want to run a particular section of trail with the sway bar disconnected for better articulation and a smoother ride over the rough stuff. Then if you are going to be running fire roads or pavement for a while reconnect the sway bars for flatter, more stable high speed handling through the curves.

rt_lift_2.jpg

For this installation write up I'm going to focus more on first impressions and some helpful tips and insight on what to expect if you install this kit. Racer Tech already provides excellent installation instructions on their website which can be found Here!

Up front the lift utilizes a cross member that bolts in through the existing upper shock mounting bolts and this cross member basically moves the upper shock mount location outward to achieve the lift. This new geometry also improves the stability of the RZR as an added benefit. Some people have reported problems with the bolt holes on the Racer Tech lift not lining up perfectly with the stock shock bolt holes. This is only a problem on a handful of RZRs and is a result of small inconsistencies in assembly from Polaris, not something Racer Tech has any control over. If you happen to have a RZR with holes that don't quite line up perfectly there are a few things you can do to get the cross member to bolt up properly. The most drastic measure would be to use a drill to slightly open up the holes to fit but that should only be a last result and should only be necessary if your RZR is way out of spec for one reason or another. Ours was just a little short of lining up enough to slide the bolts in so I used a trick I learned years ago on my real job. You can put the end of the mounting bolt onto a grinder or belt sander and put a point on it kind of like sharpening a pencil, don't worry the nut will still thread onto the bolt just fine after you've done this. Putting the point on the bolt will allow the bolt to work its way into the holes and pull everything into place for you. If turning the bolt in with a ratchet doesn't work it may need a little tap from your favorite persuasion hammer, preferably a dead blow rubber/plastic hammer. The use of a drift pin to hold the other bolt hole in place may also be helpful to keep the cross member from falling down as you get the first bolt in place.

rt_lift_3.jpg

After the front cross member is in place all you do is bolt the shocks back in place in the new upper mounting location and the front is done!

rt_lift_4.jpg

The rear lift is a two piece brace that relocates the shocks in a similar manner to the front to achieve the desired lift. The two plates sandwich around the frame near the factory upper shock mounting location. You will need to drill four holes through your frame. To install the rear lift you only need to remove the rear valance but personally I found it helpful to remove the whole bed just to make it easier to reach everything. Racer Tech provides the same instructions with the kit that I linked above and it has a very nice diagram of all the hardware locations for the rear cross members to ensure you get all of the supplied bolts and spacers in the right place. Once you get all the bolts installed and tightened up all you do is reattach the upper shock bolts in the new locations and you have yourself a lifted RZR! This kit is very straightforward and could be installed in an afternoon by yourself or even faster with a buddy's help

rt_lift_5.jpg

The sway bar quick disconnect kit is very easy to install also. Racer Tech provides new sway bar link assemblies that work just like a tie rod with one end reverse threaded so that you can adjust their length by just spinning the shaft with the ends connected to shorten or lengthen the links to fit. The links feature heim joints on both ends and are held in place by a pin and washer that goes through a hole in supplied lower shock bolt. Racer Tech also supplies a shorter bolt with a hole through it that mounts through the plastic under the front bumper and this bolt is used as a docking point when you want to disconnect the front sway bar. You just pull the pin and washer from the lower shock bolt and swing the sway bar link up to the docking bolt and secure it with the same pin and washer. This is a really slick setup that is easy to switch out on the trail as needed. There's always a debate among RZR owners about whether to run with or without sway bars hooked up. Many guys end up with a compromise of leaving the rear sway bar hooked up and the front one disconnected. With this kit you can leave the rear hooked up and swap the front as needed for trail conditions which gives you an option instead of a compromise and options are always a good thing in my book!

rt_lift_6.jpg rt_lift_7.jpg

We have had a chance to take a few rides with the lift kit installed now and it's amazing what a difference that 2 inches can make! The Ricochet skids under the RZR don't have to work quite as hard anymore. We were hesitant to lift the RZR because the sweet low center of gravity on the RZR is one of the things that make it so fun to drive, but after a little trail time the lift does not seem to have affected the handling of the RZR noticeably at all. One of the first rides we took after installing the lift kit was a creek bed ride in the mountains of Kentucky that was strewn with huge rocks. We were following a non-lifted standard RZR through the trail and every time he would bang off a rock I would be bracing myself to go over the rock but most of the time we did not touch the rock, we just cruised right over it. Also as kind of a side note, the Racer tech dual rate spring kit we installed previously really compliments the 2" lift kit, they work really well together!

Before/After

rt_lift_before_1.jpg rt_lift_after_1.jpg

Before/After

rt_lift_before_2.jpg rt_lift_after_2.jpg

Our first impressions of this lift kit package are not shocking, this is the product Racer Tech is famous for among the RZR crowd and it's easy to see why! The kit is easy to install and it just plain works, it's well built and seems engineered to last. If there's any negative aspect to the kit at all I would say that the higher center of gravity could affect high speed handling adversely but just a very small amount, negligible really. Most RZR owners will never push their machines to that point and the benefits of increased ground clearance far outweigh any negatives. For example a smoother ride from avoiding trail obstacles as well as water crossings. That 2" height difference might be the difference between a soggy bottom or a swamped RZR, or it might keep you from high centering in a rutted out mud hole. In our opinion for the style of trail riding we do the Racer tech 2" lift kit is just a perfect fit, not too tall to be tippy or damage axles, just tall enough to gain that much needed extra bit of ground clearance.

rt_lifted.jpg

For more information on Racer Tech Products visit them Here!

2. Gyrene

Gyrene Site Supporter

Great job on the write up Jesse!!!!!!!!

And a good tip to pass along on grinding a point on the bolt to help with alignment on misaligned parts..................

I like it a lot, appears to be the best, most well thought out lift on the market for the RZR's, and it's amazing how much better raising any vehicle improves the overall looks of it, not to mention you'll have a huge benefit from the extra ground clearance.....

Very professional!!!! :PDT_Armataz_01_37::sign0098: :13:

3. Timmi

Timmi Site Supporter

I can tell you after riding behind him much of our last trip, he was squashed down. The RT lifts are strong and designed to re-position the shocks so it doesn't hurt the ride or suspension. Looks like it pulled the rear tires in some too, which is good if you ride mud.

4. Butch450

Butch450 Administrator
    Staff Member

Great write up Jesse. Test it good down in WV :whoo:

5. GrizzlyNick

GrizzlyNick Member

Nice review. Very detailed and well thought out. The pictures help a lot

6. Butch450

Butch450 Administrator
    Staff Member

Okay so it's been a week since your ride down in WV, want to share your thoughts with us ...:wink:...Doesn't have to be the full review but some updated impressions would be nice...:p

7. liquid1

liquid1 Member

Great Installment review Jesse..:s_good: ..Now that you hammered the new lift hard whats your taught... The sxs market has exploded big time..

8. bluesmanjesse

bluesmanjesse Moderator
    Staff Member

The lift was a huge blessing on the rocky trails in WV, the rougher trails are much more enjoyable when you're not getting jolted from bottoming out the skids on rocks. The lift puts the RZR where it should have been from the factory IMHO.

9. GrizzlyNick

GrizzlyNick Member

Rocks of the skid plates are never fun. Especially for me ( stock skids):banghead:

how much total clearance do you have now?

10. bluesmanjesse

bluesmanjesse Moderator
    Staff Member

At the lowest point I'm sitting at 11" of ground clearance now, most of the skid plate is more like 12" off the ground.

11. Gyrene

Gyrene Site Supporter

It looks good and is functional too, can't beat that...........

12. MattN03

MattN03 Site Supporter

Any feedback on the swaybar disconnect? I think I could make something like that for my T4.

13. bluesmanjesse

bluesmanjesse Moderator
    Staff Member

For me disconnected is gonna be the way I ride 90% of the time. The kit is pretty cheap from Racertech, it might be easier to buy it from them and then modify it for your ride, not sure.