Welcome to the Rocks and Ruts Off-Road Powersports Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

1. Welcome Guest to the Rocks and Ruts Off-Road Powersports Community Forums. Be sure to register. It's quick and 100% free.

Racer Tech RZR 800 Springs Install/First Impressions

Discussion in 'Project RZR Installation Articles' started by bluesmanjesse, Dec 31, 2012.

1. bluesmanjesse

bluesmanjesse Moderator
    Staff Member

Racer Tech RZR 800 Springs Install/First Impressions

rt.jpg
    The Project RZR has relatively low miles on it but the factory springs were already starting to sag badly causing a loss of ground clearance and a rough ride. It seems this is a common problem which affects most RZRs pretty early in their lifespan. We went searching for the best bang for the buck way to regain the lost ground clearance and improve the quality of the ride of the Project RZR. After some research the replacement spring kit by Racer Tech seemed like the right choice for our needs.

rt_13.jpg

rt_14.jpg

Andrew at Racer Tech set us up with their Medium Rate package. After a lot of testing, Racer Tech determined there is no need for a dual-rate spring setup on the front of a Standard RZR. They offer their custom made linear rate springs in front which are perfectly suited for the 800 RZR as well as the 570. The rear however they found large improvements by switching to a dual-rate combination. Racer Tech provides a short spring, a long spring and a delrin spacer for each shock. The delrin spacer has two different guide shoulder lengths designed into it to provide adjustability for the user to modify when the secondary spring kicks out and the system goes to a linear rate. The secret is in their short springs. Racer Tech found a perfect universal rate which allows you to customize the length of the long springs if you want to really dial in your ride. I suspect weekend racers or hardcore enthusiasts would really like this option.
    rt_3.jpg

Basically this kit is designed to provide support for bottom out resistance and maintained ground clearance, while retaining the option to dial back the preload adjusters to soften your ride a little. The stock springs almost force you to leave the preload cranked all the way up to maintain decent ground clearance. There are some key areas where Racer Tech's setup really shines over the competitions springs. The first, which is huge for me, they are MADE IN THE USA! Secondly and on a more technical level, is in the dual rate design of the rear springs. The dual rate design is a one of a kind concept that provides good bottoming resistance but doesn't actually make the ride too stiff for normal slower speed driving. This kit is 100% made in the U.S.A., Racer Tech is the only replacement spring manufacturer that can honestly claim this. They design their springs the proper way unlike Polaris OEM springs. When you go to install these springs you'll find the OEM springs are much longer than necessary which puts lots of preload in them no matter where the preload clickers are set. Polaris does this to run softer (aka-cheaper) springs. The design of the Racer Tech springs makes the preload adjustments much more effective and it substantially improves the springs performance and life since the spring is not forced to work so far into it's effective range.
    rt_4.jpg

The installation is pretty straightforward. You will need to obtain a spring compressor and some basic hand tools. I got a cheap set of spring compressors locally on sale for $12.99. Many people use the $20 set of Spring compressors from Harbor Freight. First you will need to jack up the front of the RZR and remove the wheels, I recommend doing the front first to familiarize yourself with the process since the front is a little easier to do than the back. On the Project RZR we aren't running the sway bars because it allows better articulation and a better ride in our type of tight woods trail environments so we didn't need to unhook them but if you are still running the sway bars you will need to remove the lower sway bar end link to remove the shock. The end link is held on by the lower shock mount bolt so you'll be removing the same bolt anyways. Your end link would be where the silver spacer is on our lower shock bolt. Basically you remove the upper and lower shock mount bolts and remove the shock from the RZR.

rt_1.jpg

Once you have the shock out of the RZR apply the spring compressors and compress the springs far enough that you can remove the slotted retainer.

rt_5.jpg
    rt_6.jpg

Once the retainer is removed just pull the old OEM spring off the shock and slide the shiny new Racer Tech spring on in it's place. The spring will only fit one way over the preload adjuster so no real worries about which way it goes. Once you have the new spring on the shock compress it down far enough that you can reinstall the factory retainer.

rt_7.jpg

Once the retainer is installed remove your spring compressors and reinstall the shock onto the RZR. Just repeat the process for the other side. Reattach your sway bar end links if you are running them, put the wheels back on and the front is done.

Now on to the rear shocks, things get a little more complicated back here but honestly it's not bad at all. First jack up the rear of the RZR securely and remove the rear wheels, you can do one at a time if you don't have an ATV/motorcycle style jack. Once you have the wheels off just remove the upper and lower shock bolts and remove the shock. Next you need to compress the spring enough to remove the slotted retainer just like you did on the front. You will find the rear springs are stiffer and hence harder to compress than the fronts. Just take your time and if you're using the same style compressors as we did alternate frequently between each side when you're cranking it down until you get the spring compressed enough to remove the slotted retainer.

rt_8.jpg

Now that you have the spring off install the Racer Tech dual rate spring set stacked as follows -1. short spring 2. Spacer (long shoulder in short spring) 3. long spring 4. adapter ring 5. OEM retainer. Once you have the assembly ready you'll need to compress the stack down enough to reinstall the slotted factory retainer. Once the retainer is in place remove your spring compressors, again alternate when loosening the compressors so that nothing gets in a bind. Bolt the shock back on and reinstall the wheel. Repeat the same process for the other side, lower it off the jack and you're done!

We gained roughly 1.5" of clearance in the front and over 2" in the rear. This alone would justify adding a set of these springs but you also get a much improved ride over the stock springs. The improved ride and ground clearance is just what the doctor ordered for the Project RZR and on our initial test ride was very promising. We will follow up with a long term review on the Racer Tech Standard RZR (50") replacement springs kit once we have put some hard trail miles on them.

rt_9.jpg rt_10.jpg rt_11.jpg rt_12.jpg

2. Butch450

Butch450 Administrator
    Staff Member

Great write up Jesse. Can't wait to hear how they perform.

3. ole brute

ole brute Site Supporter

Nice write up.

4. Hammer

Hammer Moderator
    Staff Member

great write up Jesse! keep us posted on how they perform

5. liquid1

liquid1 Member

Awesome Write up..your becomming a pro at this..keep it up Northern friend..Thanks
    I need something like this for my 450 grizzly..

6. MTGRIZZ700

MTGRIZZ700 Member

fantastic rite up thanks looks good!!

7. Timmi

Timmi Site Supporter

Very well written and photographed installation and review! I have found the Racer Tech 2" lift for my 570 to greatly help ride height and it softens the ride because the mounts stand the shocks more upright. Also, disconnecting the rear sway bar helps the ride. I want to do a spring/shock replacement next.

8. bluesmanjesse

bluesmanjesse Moderator
    Staff Member

Timmi, they should have a spring kit for the 570 available now, they were shipping limited quantities 3-4 weeks ago, they just haven't advertised them yet because they were having a hard time keeping up with demand. Just goes to show how important this upgrade is to a RZR. Call Andrew at Racer Tech and let him know what you're looking for I'll bet he could fix you up. I'd try the springs before you go dropping the cash on shocks.

9. Timmi

Timmi Site Supporter

sounds good, Jesse. I thought the 570 package was springs and shocks.

10. Butch450

Butch450 Administrator
    Staff Member

Have you had a chance to test them out yet?

11. bluesmanjesse

bluesmanjesse Moderator
    Staff Member

I was playing in the snow and jumped a few snow banks and also took some full speed blasts across some fields and I am really impressed with the ride so far! It's pretty impressive just how much difference that springs can make! Something as inherently simple as a spring is really a lot more technical and sophisticated than most people realize.

12. KEETER

KEETER Member

Jesse great write up on the springs! I noticed where you didn't hook up the front sway bar and it's just as well you didn't, on mine where I left mine hooked up it did hinder the articulation and ended up breaking one of the longer pins that the linkage hooked to on the bottom shock bolt. Like you mentioned after unhooking the other it did work better on the off camber stuff! I hope the two piece rear hold up as good as my High Lifter springs have, as the OEM are good for about 2 rides the A/Market stuff does so much better. Hope you had a great holiday and look forward to get back to riding soon, Deer season is finally over and after next weekends fishing trip for Stripers @ Chesapeake Bay it will time to do some camping and snow riding on the Outlaw trails in WV!!!!!!!:headbang:

13. bluesmanjesse

bluesmanjesse Moderator
    Staff Member

Thanks Keeter! I've been doing a little snow riding, we got about 10" or so, I am jealous of your ready access to the HM trails though! The holidays were good, I hope yours were as well. I really don't foresee myself ever reattaching the sway bars, I have had them off for a while now.

14. The Hive

The Hive Member

Great write up Jesse. I look forward to hearing your ride review.
    The 570 springs are on Racer Techs website now.

15. bluesmanjesse

bluesmanjesse Moderator
    Staff Member

Timmi....
    The 570 package is only springs to my knowledge.

....and yes they are Dave you can find them for either the 570 or the 800 here...... http://www.goracertech.com/rzr-std-replacement-springs.html

16. gwrrzr800

gwrrzr800 Member

Great write up Jesse, I ended up making my own spring compressor, 12 bucks would have been a heck of a lot cheaper! Have not done much riding the stupid snow plow mount would probably hit everything, plus I have not put the shocks with the new springs on the front yet!

17. bluesmanjesse

bluesmanjesse Moderator
    Staff Member

It seems like you're about as pressed for time as me Greg,lol. I've been trying to get a ride going for 2-3 weekends in a row now and either me or everyone else has been too busy doing other things.

18. Gyrene

Gyrene Site Supporter

This is one of the best if not the best how to write ups I've ever seen on a forum........

Great job :PDT_Armataz_01_37::great::icon_thumright:

Can't wait to hear your thoughts on them........

19. Timmi

Timmi Site Supporter

yea but yours is probly titanium with your initials engraved on it :D

20. thegrizz

thegrizz Administrator
    Staff Member

So are both springs linear rate? What is your ride impression? Does it seem stiffer when pushing down the front and rear bumpers?