Welcome to the Rocks and Ruts Off-Road Powersports Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

1. Welcome Guest to the Rocks and Ruts Off-Road Powersports Community Forums. Be sure to register. It's quick and 100% free.

Racer Tech RZR 800 Springs Install/First Impressions

Discussion in 'Project RZR Installation Articles' started by bluesmanjesse, Dec 31, 2012.

1. bluesmanjesse

bluesmanjesse Moderator
    Staff Member

Gary the front is a standard linear rate but it's a shorter, slightly stiffer spring so you don't have to run so much preload when compared to the OEM springs, which really helps alot with the ride. The rear is two different linear rate springs stacked together, the softer spring handles most bumps and then the stiffer one kicks in when you really hit hard or land a jump or something like that. The same principle applies in the front and back as far as being able to run less preload which is really key to improving the ride. With the OEM springs you have to preload them so hard that you've already used up a good percentage of the springs range of motion before you ever hit a bump and start compressing it further, the Racer Tech springs allow you to run with little to no preload so that you get the full benefit of the springs range of motion/compression stroke.

It doesn't really feel much stiffer when pushing down on the bumpers to me but again I am running less preload now than I was before.

2. thegrizz

thegrizz Administrator
    Staff Member

Thanks for the update. I was curious.

I will add a word of caution. You will want to pay significant attention to the mounting points of the front shocks. They bend very easily. Unless you run the proper pre-load, under certain conditions (Me or Justin driving) the shocks can bottom out and bend the top mounting tabs. You will end up with frame damage and a slight "gangster lean". A lift will increase the amount of leverage to however usually the lift will give before the Polaris frame.

On mine, I had bent 2 lifts as well a the OEM frame. I finally ended up having to run the Highlifter shocks on mid level pre-load to prevent any further damage.

3. bluesmanjesse

bluesmanjesse Moderator
    Staff Member

Thanks for the heads up Gary, don't some of the lift kits double as a frame support sort of?

4. thegrizz

thegrizz Administrator
    Staff Member

I guess you could look at it that way. Most lifts bolt to the stock top shock mounting location with a pair of flat bars and a system of spacers to stabilize the two flat bars and create a more rigid support structure. The ends of the bars have a down offset. Essentially this moves the front shock down and out giving it more lift and a different geometry. I think that this change in geometry allows for more leverage translating into more force against the new lift brackets and the stock frame mounts.

from what I could tell, on mine anyway, was all energy transferred primarily to the lift brackets bending them. However, the bracket would only bend so far until resting agains the frame and then re transferring energy to the frame causing damage.

5. The Hive

The Hive Member

Now that you have had them on for a while, what is are your impressions after putting some miles on them?

6. bluesmanjesse

bluesmanjesse Moderator
    Staff Member