Welcome to the Rocks and Ruts Off-Road Powersports Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

1. Welcome Guest to the Rocks and Ruts Off-Road Powersports Community Forums. Be sure to register. It's quick and 100% free.

Rage customs 2" yamaha grizzly 700 lift.

Discussion in 'Member Submitted Reviews' started by blackbirdxp1k, May 15, 2012.

1. blackbirdxp1k

blackbirdxp1k Site Supporter

(Note to begin: This is a bit of prototype that I put in last year, and front bracket might be changed a little to make installation better than what I have. This post will be updated for thoose of you that want hear more as things are updated by Ron of Rage, and also me. Rage isn't currently making the lift yet, but is hoping to have it in production by the end of the year.)

So I got the lift installed and as of now am really happy with how the install went being the first lift from him and we needed to check out some stuff on the front brackets yet. Sorry I didn't really take pics of the install.

So to start I did the rear of the grizzly first. I used our engine lift to pick up the rear of the quad for installing the shocks back on with the bracket in. The rear bracket went in very easily, and the shocks took just little pulling down by hand to get the bolts in. Some pics of the rear install.

lifting the rear.
    [TABLE="class: ncode_imageresizer_warning"]
    [TR]
    [TD="class: td1"]
    [/TD]
    [TD="class: td2"]
    [/TD]
    [/TR]
    [/TABLE]
    [​IMG]

rear bracket near exhaust
    [TR]
    [/TD]
    [TD="class: td2"][/TD]
    [/TR]
    [/TABLE]
    [​IMG]

close up more of bracket
    [TR]
    [/TD]
    [/TR]
    [/TABLE]
    [​IMG]

picture further back.
    [TR]
    [/TD]
    [/TR]
    [/TABLE]
    [​IMG]

I than worked on the front brackets. These took little more work. This is the first lift he has made and we are working together to get it to work how he wants. To me it works to my likings. The issue I had that might change some part of it is by the eps. It comes pretty close to it and I ended up taking one bolt out for the plastic cover that is over the eps. The bracket than went in place with the bolt off, and was able to get the shocks in pretty easily again. Few pics of the front bracket install:

[TR]
    [/TD]
    [/TR]
    [/TABLE]
    [​IMG]

pics trying to show how it is in comparison to power steering.
    [TR]
    [/TD]
    [/TR]
    [/TABLE]
    [​IMG]

[TR]
    [/TD]
    [/TR]
    [/TABLE]
    [​IMG]

[TR]
    [/TD]
    [/TR]
    [/TABLE]
    [​IMG]

[TR]
    [/TD]
    [/TR]
    [/TABLE]
    [​IMG]

All in all for being a the first lift the install went well. I have told Ron some the things about the lift through e-mail and waiting to hear more back from him. One thing to note is that the aluminum spacers I used are wider than most lifts use from what Ron told me. He wanted to see if the lift would work with them cause the wider spacers prevent the stock shock mount locations from being bent when tightened down. I decided to use the wider ones as he gave me booth and I like the fact that if I ever take the lift out my stock brackets aren't bent. I have let him know that I think this works great for me that maybe he should go with the bigger spacers than what most lifts use.

Here are some pics to show the before the lift and after the lift.

before:
    [TR]
    [/TD]
    [/TR]
    [/TABLE]
    [​IMG]

after:
    [TR]
    [/TD]
    [/TR]
    [/TABLE]
    [​IMG]

before:
    [TR]
    [/TD]
    [/TR]
    [/TABLE]
    [​IMG]

after:
    [TR]
    [/TD]
    [/TR]
    [/TABLE]
    [​IMG]

Lift only done in the rear:
    [TR]
    [/TD]
    [/TR]
    [/TABLE]
    [​IMG]

Not lifted pic:
    [TR]
    [/TD]
    [/TR]
    [/TABLE]
    [​IMG]

fully lifted:
    [TR]
    [/TD]
    [/TR]
    [/TABLE]
    [​IMG]

Now for how the Grizzly rides with the lift. I have heard that the ride quality actually seems to be better with the lift installed and I'm quite surprised at how much smoother it seems to be. Before the lift I had all my springs in the rear at stiffest setting , and the fronts one down from stiffest. I now have the rear at lightest setting and the fronts up one from lightest. I ride two up with my fiancee alot and that is the reason I had it set stiffer before. I went for a ride this morning with my fiancee with the lighter settings I said above and booth agreed that the ride is way better now. Bumps don't seem as bad at all as I went over them on purpose to see how much better it might be. With her on the back the above settings worked really well. It didn't seem tippy at all, is much smoother, just over all to me it actually is now how I like it better than stock now. With my spacers before the lift it seemed to steer harder, but now after the lift it seems to steer easier now too. Idk if it is because it is an inch narrower now or if it is because the angles make the steering work better. I than let my fiancee drive and she said it seemed easier to steer better also. She also said that she likes the way it handles better also. That the bumps don't seem as big in her words lol. One thing I am planning on doing is bumping up the rear shocks one setting harder for me on the back as I'm bigger guy and seemed for me little squishy with me back there than I would like.

I now have around 1200 miles on the lift and love the grizz with it in. To me it actually feels better than stock.

Durability: The lift has been very durable. It has took some pretty tough hits from rocks, and stomps on the trails. It still looks as straight as the day I put it in. It is looking to be a very tough built lift to me.

So over all I am going to say I really like the rage 2" lift set up. I think the different shock angle helps with the ride as they aren't at as much of an angle and are straighter which in turn helps the shocks work better. I also like the look of it sitting higher [​IMG]. Now I want to get 30's even more as there is more room between tires and fenders lol.

Here a list of my measurements I took of before and after the install of the lift. Just got to remember that my so called stock measurements are also with 27" tires.

Before lift:
    Height: front- 12.5" Rear- 13.25"
    Width: front and back - 50.5" with 1.5" wheel spacers

After lift:
    Height: front- 14.25" Rear- 14.75"
    Width: front and back- 49.5" with 1.5" wheel spacers.

2. Grizzly77

Grizzly77 Site Supporter

Nice update!
    Did You do the measurements with the weight On, or without?

3. blackbirdxp1k

I did them with the weight on. I did the before when I pulled the quad in the shop, and the after I went for little ride around the yard to let everything settle in than went back in the shop to measure it again. I measured to the bottom of the skids.

4. Grizzly77

Grizzly77 Site Supporter

1.75" front and 1.5" rear -plenty enough to make a difference and just enough before You start breaking the stuff, lol.
    That's good GC.
    I did 2" Xtreme lift like a year ago or so and I remember it gave me 1-1/4" on all 4 corners.

5. blackbirdxp1k

Yeah I know Ron asked me if I thought should increase the lift more, but I don't think I really want a full 2" to be honest now since I put it in. I was gonna get a rdc lift that is supposed to be full 2" before I started talking to Ron, and helped with sending pics, and discussing the lift. More I talked to him I decided by the type guy he is to go with his, and also to help him figure out stuff with the lift. Looking at the change in the a-arm angle I think it's just the right ammount lift. Add 30" tires and you will have lot of ground clearence. I like how the lift ended up leveling the grizzly out bit to, with the front being just tiny bit more. Also a note, with the lift the tires seem to be more straight up and down. Meaning that they don't look towed in on the top or bottom of the tire when looking at the quad from the front.

6. Grizzly77

Grizzly77 Site Supporter

Normally, the difference in a height (with the weight) - between front and rear, should be 1/4" - 3/4".
    Which is what You have right now.

7. Grizzly77

Grizzly77 Site Supporter

Hold on a sec. Are You sure You get those measurements right?
    Under the load the front should be higher then the back 1/4"-3/4"

8. blackbirdxp1k

Yeah its right, I did have my rear suspension set to the stiffest setting when measured, and front wasn't. Most I know sit higher on back that I've measured cause when you sit on it it levels out. It only had weight the quad on it.

9. Hammer

Hammer Moderator
    Staff Member

glad to see it's holding up well for you.

10. HardcoreSlot

HardcoreSlot Site Supporter

Nice, Do you find it more tippy with the lift or does the suspension soak that up?

11. blackbirdxp1k

It doesn't feel anymore tippy to me with the lift. I personally like it better the way it handles, but I don't do very much high speed riding. I do have 1.5" spacers, but also have the rear sway bar disconnected so the suspension articulates better. I have done some corners at high speed and don't think it's much worse at taking them, I wouldn't drive it as hard around corners as if I had no lift and the sway bar connected of course though.

12. Nayster

Nayster Member

How much does the rage 2'' lift kit run? Didn't see a price anywhere, unless am blind:)

13. blackbirdxp1k

I'm not sure what his set price is on the lift so I didn't list any. He is planning on having it out this year yet as he had a set back on getting it in production. If you want a price I would private message him or I will to see if he would want to list a price on the post here.

14. Nayster

Nayster Member

Am about 2 to 3 months out until I can get a lift kit. I figure I need to save up for around the $150 range. I'll keep checking his site or email him, when I have the extra money to do it. Thanks man, nice write up.

15. SweetGrizz

SweetGrizz Member

Looks good, I am thinking about getting that lift too. Just don't want to loose any handling, sounds like it doesn't effect the handling adversely.

16. crazyelece

crazyelece Member

How are the axles? Does the lift require aftermarket axles, longer brake lines, etc?

17. blackbirdxp1k

Nope stock axles are fine, don't need to add anything other than the lift. I am putting in a rhino axle tommorow though that I got from Rage also. I'll be putting up a review for that also after the weekend. I have over 3000 miles on my grizzly so replacing one now isn't to bad. I have about 1500 miles on the lift I believe. I'll have to figure it out lol I had new guage pod put on last year so I always have to add around 1750 miles onto what my guage says for actual mileage.