Welcome to the Rocks and Ruts Off-Road Powersports Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

1. Welcome Guest to the Rocks and Ruts Off-Road Powersports Community Forums. Be sure to register. It's quick and 100% free.

Rage Customs Nerf Bars Installation and 1st Impressions

Discussion in 'Technical Articles' started by HardcoreSlot, Aug 7, 2012.

1. HardcoreSlot

HardcoreSlot Site Supporter

2. Butch450

Butch450 Administrator
    Staff Member

Great install write up Matt! Can't wait to read the full review of them. :sign0098:

3. Rage Customs

Rage Customs Preferred Vendor

Thanks for the write up on this bud I greatly appreciate it! Im going to check on the issue of having to use a ratchet strap to align the holes. our jig is built so that the wholes line up center and to my knowledge nobody else has had to use any kind of device to make them line up. thanks for pointing that out so i can catch what is happening!

4. HardcoreSlot

It wasn't off by much, just barely.
    I could push it by hand, I just coulnt hold it cuz they are so stiff. the strap was just an easy way to move it that, >1/4" to get the holes lined up.

5. sooflyfisher

sooflyfisher Member

Great write up! I love the look of them. Cant wait to see if they ever come for the 450. I'll be jumping on a set quick then!

6. Hammer

Hammer Moderator
    Staff Member

Good stuff Matt! and it looks like a quality product, Ron!

7. Jfer

Jfer Site Supporter

Matt, Great write up for an awesome product. You should be well protected for the red rocks this fall.

8. Bullet Bill

Bullet Bill Site Supporter

Great write up. Thanks. I'm waiting for him to develope some for the 2012 and later grizzly.

9. cubbee

cubbee Site Supporter

Good job Matt! They look good on there.
    Mine went on with no problem, didn't have the issue you had. Actually, I didn't even take the plastic floorboards off when I installed mine. I took some pictures and video when I did it, but my garage was so messy I was too embarrassed to post it! lol
    I used a grinder to trim the little bit of plastic off too. Your little tabs for the brake line look tougher than the ones on mine.
    The bars are holding up really well so far. They have been on there for a couple months now I think.
    Thanks for the write up!

10. Grumpy

Grumpy Site Supporter

Great job Matt!

Here's just a couple shots of mine to help show how awesome these are. I don't have to add anything about the install, Hardcore covered it all
    !

This is a "MUST DO" MOD!!! :2345:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I cut the extra length off these bolts but a better idea would be to reverse them, putting them in from the bottom.

[​IMG]

Okay Ron, where's MY sticker? :96:

11. DODGE57HEMI

DODGE57HEMI Site Supporter

Nice job Matt! I LOVE my Nerfs from RC as well! One thing I will add is if you do add floorboard Skids is to turn your bolts upside down with the nut side facing up so the bolt threads don't grab on any obstacles such as rocks or trees hanging up the bike.

This message is sponsored by the campaign for a 2up Grizzly!!!

12. DrMud

DrMud Site Supporter

Nerfs are one of the best mods that I have done to my Grizz. Provide numerous advantages for me. I also added skid plate. The nerfs..... Helps to keep my plastic fenders from digging into the sidewall of a bank, push off of rocks when sliding beside or over the top, the added floorboard strength allow weight displacement (me) without worry of cracking the floorboard on technical riding,

I would have ran logs through the floorboard and possible throgh my ankle a couple of times without this combination. The log or large stick lifted the Grizz up. So, this mod adds safety also.

13. DrMud

DrMud Site Supporter

Here is a video at the 3.12 point of a terrain that the nerfs made a difference. The helmet cam does not capture how steep, but the rear end lifted up when I was going down and I had to bump the throttle to allow the 4x4 to pull the rear end back dow. But the nerfs allowed me to just lean into the right wall without tearing off my fenders or having the fenders dig into the wall and cause me to get hung up.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 13, 2015
  14. NCMudman

NCMudman Member

I agree that these are a 'must have'.... Mine have saved my floorboards who know how many times....

15. HardcoreSlot

Thanks for the good words guys.

You fellas that already had some, did you have the slight fitting issue I had? or maybe mine were one off?

Also, If anyone has any additional pics or vids, please, post em up!

16. Grumpy

Grumpy Site Supporter

Mine lined up perfectly. However, the little washer that was welded on for the brake line broke right off. Glad to see that's been beefed up! :clap:

17. DrMud

DrMud Site Supporter

mine were the original, that Rage sorta used as a prototype by pictures, has the little washer, I was impressed that the washer area was beefed up also. I had to pull on one of my legs a little or loose bolt it then pull it up tight, no biggie, just assumed that the weld pulled the metal a little.

18. bluesmanjesse

bluesmanjesse Moderator
    Staff Member

Great write up on a great product! I wonder if those with fitment issues actually have a slightly tweaked Grizzly? I know my two Grizzlies took some hard whacks to the bottom side a few times, a quarter inch tweek is certainly possible.