Welcome to the Rocks and Ruts Off-Road Powersports Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

1. Welcome Guest to the Rocks and Ruts Off-Road Powersports Community Forums. Be sure to register. It's quick and 100% free.

Removing the Catalytic converter from your Teryx

Discussion in 'Utility ATV and SxS Tech Tips' started by bluesmanjesse, Sep 1, 2014.

1. bluesmanjesse

bluesmanjesse Moderator
    Staff Member

There are many benefits from removing the cat on your Teryx, lower operating temps, better exhaust flow, better exhaust sound, about a 2hp increase,etc.... All for the price of free! It won't hurt your tuning at all either. On the T2 it couldn't be easier, you just raise the dump bed, remove the heat shield that covers the muffler and remove the muffler. you'll see that the pipe protrudes inside the muffler about 4-5". All you have to do is cut the pipe around the rim where the pipe tapers down and it will come out in one easy piece. I used a cutting wheel on a pneumatic die grinder and just cut around the outside of the pipe, viola! You can also cut it with a sawzall but that vibrates the pipe alot and it also might leave a little cat material in the pipe that you'll have to bust out with a screwdriver or something.

After you've removed the cat start it and run it a few times to blow out any debris that might have fallen down into the exhaust pipe. Then put your muffler back on and you're done! Some guys will also remove their spark arrestor and open up the hole inside the stock muffler to get a little more flow and louder exhaust note.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Spark arrestor...

[​IMG]

Baffle inside muffler...

[​IMG]

2. KEETER

KEETER Member

Good to know Jesse I will pass this on. Does the 12 and 13s have converters too or just the 14s.

3. Gyrene

Gyrene Site Supporter

Good mod!!! It has to have better flow with that choke hold removed.

Cant to wait to hear how it runs without it.

4. bluesmanjesse

bluesmanjesse Moderator
    Staff Member

It's my understanding that the 12-13 T4's also have converters, the 4 seaters are a little harder to get at because the bed doesn't tilt up out of the way but it's still not too bad I think.

5. MattN03

MattN03 Site Supporter

Yes, the 12 & 13's have these, but I'm not ambitious enough to remove mine. lol Jesse, no CEL came on? I wasn't sure if the programming on these was sophisticated enough to pickup on the missing cat. My Mustang would throw a code & CEL without the tune installed.

Can you tell any difference?

6. bluesmanjesse

bluesmanjesse Moderator
    Staff Member

It won't throw any codes and the O2 sensor will tune it in the minute amount that actually changes. It's not an Earth shattering power gain but it really does seem to add a little pep. The main reason I did it was to reduce operating temps, it drops the exhaust temps 100+ degrees.

7. liquid1

liquid1 Member

That's Impressive temp change.