Welcome to the Rocks and Ruts Off-Road Powersports Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

1. Welcome Guest to the Rocks and Ruts Off-Road Powersports Community Forums. Be sure to register. It's quick and 100% free.

Taylor Park Colorado Ride, July 7- July 22

Discussion in 'Western Regional Rides and Events' started by mrycar, May 14, 2012.

1. mrycar

mrycar Member

Taylor Park Colorado Ride, July 7- July 22

This trip Spans July 7 through July 22, where a few bold adventurers will travel the mountains of Colorado. With a group of 7+ of us starting from Metro Detroit and going to Taylor Park, Colorado

The trip starts at Taylor Park/ Pitkin Colorado area, and travels around the Gunnison, San Isabel, Collegiate, and White River National Forests. If we get bored, may hit Grand Junction and/or Routte Trail systems.

Riding will be scenic, and offer both technical and non-technical opportunities. The area supports UTV's and Jeeps.

The Plans are to set up a master camp site and pivot off of it.

Master camp, will be located at either Union Park, or North of Taylor Park, Far from any civilization.

The site will have a 10x20 screened in eating/sleeping area. I will be hauling 4 ATV's on a trailer, and have a class A motorhome as base camp. Motorhome, currently has 5 people sleeping in it. Will be bringing cots, so 10x20 screened area is still open for sleeping, have tarps to convert it to enclosed tent. Will have outdoor showerstall, as well as RV shower. Will want to conserve water in RV. Will have indoor and outdoor toilets, plus, if area near equine trails is available will have close access to their pit toilets. Will be bringing spare generator, so electricity will be available for those around the camping circle. For those who would like to stay at cabins or hotel, taylor park has cabins, Pitkin has a hotel.

We will be trucking in 105 gallons of gasoline, so little need to hunt up fuel station, well at least as long as the gasoline supply holds.

I am bringing a 155 Yeti chest cooler(37.5gallons) full of meat, and a Igloo 50 full of other cooled foods. Likely have a 75 quart cooler full of food as well. So eating should not be a problem.
    Have external grill and kitchen as well as internal stove, oven, coffee maker and microwave.

RV will be equipped with wifi, being supplied by ATT and Sprint for carrier diversity and optimal coverage. RV will be equipped with a PC, MAC, two tablets, and android and IOS phones. CB will be set at channel 18.
    RV will likely be cruising at 60-65mph to save fuel, and comply with state laws on vehicles over 40 feet in length.

Meeting points for convoy to Colorado will be at Almont, MI or off of the intersection of i69 and I94.

We will be taking the southern route to location to avoid Chicago traffic.

We will be stopping at several Cabelas stores on the route, so if you need outdoor supplies, there will sufficient opportunity to find them on the route.

A corresponding entry has been added to the calendar, so just add a tick there if interested in the ride, or at least meeting up.

Show up and meet:
    Tumbleweed (aka Jaxom)
    Monkey
    Mrycar
    Waterbuffalo
    Tuny
    Red hen
    and misc friends

2. JHFWIC

JHFWIC Site Supporter

Sounds like a sweet trip Mike.

3. LiLWrink

LiLWrink Member

I just now saw this thread.
    The wife and I are trying to find a way to get up to Leadville CO for July 4th vacation trip, and we are having problems with getting that time off to go. Ive been told that Taylor Park isnt far from Leadville, and another hundred miles, plus or minus, wont matter after driving across the Texas Panhandel...
    If we could go on our vacation a week or two later, could you be contacted while at Taylor Park?
    I see some very cool oportunities in the making.

4. Gunny

Gunny Site Supporter

I'm do'in a week in central Utah starting Sunday & not sure I could make another trip that soon. However, your trip sounds like a heck of trip Mrycar Guy !! And you ALWAYS do things up grand .... speak'in of the meat & other food stuff.

I would love to make at least part of this trip with you, but I'm not sure my finances will allow it. I know, that's a lousy excuse, but it's true.

I'll be look'in forward to some awesome photo's when you return.

5. mrycar

mrycar Member

If anyone wants to contact me, will pm them my phone number. The odds of the phone working are pretty slim though, while in the Taylor Park area. Our party will be split across two locations, with one group staying at Taylor Park RV park, and the other remote camping at Union Park, or by the Horse trailhead parking North of Taylor Park.

I will have plenty of steaks and fine fresh meats. Food will not be lacking.

If you can make it great.

The RV is a blue and white Dolphin RV, with a featherlite Aluminum trailer. Looks like ride of choice this year will be a slew of Canned Ham Outlanders and Outlander max's. Most of the riders have grizzlies as well, but it looks like an outlander year, but some may change up at last moment.

A few pics to help identify us, if you make it out.

pic of RV
    [​IMG]

Pics from MI Offroad removed due to Malware warnings.
    Butch

6. GUSMAN

GUSMAN Member

Sounds like a great trip. Wish I could make it for part of it but my July is filled. Enjoy and ride safe. You are in good company with Tumbleweed. (When is that old fart going to make it out to Moab?)

Sounds like a premium campsite you are putting up with great food to boot.

7. Butch450

Butch450 Administrator
    Staff Member

Some day I have to get out that way. Would love to ride Taylor Park.

8. Grumpy

Grumpy Site Supporter

Of course you are going to take lots of pictures right? :72:

9. mrycar

mrycar Member

Of course will take a ton of pics, will have 3 dlsr's, 2 super zooms, 1 pocket camera, 2 phones with cameras, 1 gps with a camera, and 2 contours gps cameras, So should have plenty of pics.

For the last 5 years have completely funded my trips, including ATV's, rv,and diesel truck tow vehicles, with sales of my atv journey pics.

10. LiLWrink

LiLWrink Member

After much discussing, and some cussing, we have found there isn't a way for us to be there while you are there.
    We have some family issues Compounding our situation with the schedule.
    So maybe we can catch up with you next year...

Thanks,

Shane

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11. over_326

over_326 New Member

Mrycar,
    I'd love to know more about your photography. I'm an amateur photographer with a great dslr and good glass. Really like shooting landscapes and sports. Working on building a good portfolio. It'd be great to turn hobby(ies) into some income.
    Wish I would have been able to make this trip. Sounds like a blast. If you come bck next year, I'd love to come.

12. mrycar

mrycar Member

Was a blast riding this year, though had tons of issues on the way there. Rv had problems, generator died making the trip there in 100 degree heat without AC a real joy. Then we blew a tire ascending Monarch pass,near the apex, in first gear, barely ascending the pass. This pushed our journey into the night midst rain, where the dirt roads became slippery sliding us off the road into a deep ditch, with one side of the rv displaying its wheel bottoms to the air, while the other side had the only door tight against the bank.

We used the emergency escape windows, to exit, freed up the atv's and sought tow service to rescue us. They did noon the next morning, while we slept more on the side of the rv than on the floor or beds.

When they fished the rv onto the road, all the transmission fluid drained, leaving us stranded til we found a rancher with 4 quarts of fluids to make her go again. On the final stretch, mud and debris, managed to remove the new pads from the shoe on the front brakes, rendering us brake less on our final descent into Taylor park.

So after setting up camp, we spent the first day fixing the rv, begging folks to take us to Gunnison to get parts. Oh, the front brake and rotors pads are a pain to remove, in a rustic site, with hand tools.

After that we had a blast. Though, learned that when doing 40mph down tincup pass to avoid getting hailed to death, a rock can turn a ricochet front bash plate into a cool work of art.
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1342913326.290207.jpg

13. Gunny

Gunny Site Supporter

WOW !!! ... Sounds like you had an interesting trip .... glad to hear you, the bikes, the RV & everyone made it & are OK however.

That's a great pic Mrycar ... look'in forward to the ride reports, more photo's & any vids ya took. RIDE ON DUDE !!! :93:

14. DODGE57HEMI

DODGE57HEMI Site Supporter

Can't wait to see the pics! Love TP! :)

This message is sponsored by the campaign for a 2up Grizzly!!!

15. blackbirdxp1k

blackbirdxp1k Site Supporter

Sounds like quite the trip u guys had. Glad everything went ok in the end and ya had fun.

16. mrycar

mrycar Member

17. Bullet Bill

Bullet Bill Site Supporter

Nice, great pics and scenery. Would love to ride that area someday.

18. JHFWIC

JHFWIC Site Supporter

Great pics Mike, looks like you guys hit every trail up there.

19. Gunny

Gunny Site Supporter

WOW !! Great photo's Mike !! THANKS for shar'in !! :08:

20. mrycar

mrycar Member

We did the complete wells books, and all but two listed in the muvm. Completed over 1000 miles of riding, have 246 hours of video to go through. Found some real interesting open areas, including the one I rode to get to pitkin from route 50, when our rv got stranded in the ditch.

Great fun, need to do it again.