Welcome to the Rocks and Ruts Off-Road Powersports Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

1. Welcome Guest to the Rocks and Ruts Off-Road Powersports Community Forums. Be sure to register. It's quick and 100% free.

Travel trailer/toy haulers?

Discussion in 'Members Rigs' started by Gaderider13, Apr 27, 2015.

1. Gaderider13

Gaderider13 Member

Who has one or the other? Make/Model? Likes dislikes?

Im picking up a travel trailer soon, still trying to narrow down my searches. Visited one open house over the weekend, seen alot of nice ones, seen one we took a liking to, Jay Flight 28RBDS. Have another open house this coming weekend, want to go there and see what they have and go from there. Want to keep my purchase local, not to only support local business but if i ever have a problem i can bring it back to them without the troubles.

Who uses weight distribution hitches? Probably going to pick one up, trailers im looking at are in the 6500lbs+ dry weight. Looking at the Equalizer hitch system, anyone have experience with one?

2. Hammer

Hammer Moderator
    Staff Member

With a 1 ton dually, you really shouldn't need a weight distribution hitch. I use a weight distribution hitch, but I'm pulling @ the same weight with a 1/2 ton

3. Gaderider13

Gaderider13 Member

Thats true, i heard with the 1 ton its not so much for weight distribution but more for the sway control in heavy winds?

blackbirdxp1k likes this.
  4. Hammer

Hammer Moderator
    Staff Member

You can use a sway controller without a W/D hitch. With the dually i doubt sway will be much of an issue.
    I use both, but again, I'm towing with a 1/2 ton. My camper weighs around 7500 loaded with food and gear. I definitely notice sway without them, especially when passing (or being passed) by a larger vehicle. Cranking the rear tire pressures up to 65 psi helps too. Your tires are probably already at 80 psi, anyway. Having the correct tongue height and weight will also make towing smooth

liquid1 likes this.
  5. MIKE_D

MIKE_D Member

Forrest River Cherokee Wolf Pack WP23 here. 5605 dry. 100 gallon fresh 50 gallon grey 50 gallon black. 35 gallon fuel station. Fits the T4 perfect. My favorite feature is the fuel station. I tow with a 1/2 ton CC using weight distribution and sway control. image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

ponti1, gator, Kenny G and 2 others like this.
  6. BDSNJ

BDSNJ Member

I don't have one myself but the weight distribution hitch makes a big difference on my buddy's camper. You may not "need" it on a dually, but it probably can't hurt either.

That Jayco is really sweet! What price are you seeing? Did you consider looking for one used?

7. Gaderider13

Gaderider13 Member

Nice setup! If i didnt go with the diamondback setup, id definitely consider a 5er toyhauler. You can pick up lightly used 5ers for quite a markdown, alot of people dont want/cant haul 5ers. Crazy seeing some of the big units, the ones that are $60,000+. Wouldnt mind living in one of those... LOL.

I was at Garick over the weekend, they have that model brand new $24k, MSRP of $33k. We looked at a couple used ones that Garick had, i just feel iffy about buying used. Who knows what the previous owner did to it, if it leaked and rotted the floor, mold, ect. They had a 14 year old TT that had a science experiment growing in the fridge and quite a nasty smell in the entire camper lol.

The more i look into it, the more im liking this one. For the price, the size, the amount of slides, and features that are included, its hard to say no. Has the all season package with a sealed and heated underbelly, outdoor kitchen, double slides for alot of interior room. The bathroom is by far the biggest of any of the models i saw, which i can appreciate. Not trying to undress and move around in a locker lol.

From the reading ive done Jayco makes some pretty good campers. I know they arent the highest quality, but i also dont want to spend $40-50k for a 28' TT lol. Escape RV in Branchville is having an open house this weekend, plan on going there and seeing what they have. They carry all of the Forest River brands which Garick has none.

Also seen a Dutchmen or 2 that looked interesting at Hampton RV in Newton, for a pretty sweet price. Plan on hitting there early Saturday and seeing how those are and go to Escape afterwards.

8. Timmi

Timmi Site Supporter

so what's the loaded weight on the trailer? gotta be close to 10 k with the teryx on it

MIKE_D likes this.
  9. MIKE_D

MIKE_D Member

I haven't been over the scales loaded but I am guessing with a full tank of water (800lbs), a full tank of fuel (190lbs), guessing the T4 at a piggish 2500lbs and a weekends worth of gear I would say just a little over 9000lbs. The lil mousey 5.3/3.73 combo knows its there but never had any trouble.

Timmi and liquid1 like this.
  10. liquid1

liquid1 Member

Mike D thats a very sweeeeet setup. Nice truck too.
    Gade with your truck you can take your pick of the litter in trailers, haulers, My neighbor has your similar truck and he pulls a fith wheel trailer non stop with heavy equipment.. Its an awesome truck to have..

MIKE_D likes this.
  11. Timmi

Timmi Site Supporter

Keystone and Forest River make some nice t-haulers...

12. RedRocket

RedRocket Site Supporter

Lots of considerations that one wouldn't necessarily think of...

5th, versus TT, versus towhauler versus slide-in, class A/B/C etc.

There does not always seem to be the perfect solution so consider what you prefer:

5th wheel TH - great for space and towing stability. How do you transport two quads to a staging area that you can't ride to? Could consider a double tow but that has it's own complications and length limit state by state.

TT - since you have your Diamondback tow deck, not a bad consideration. Towing stability is really the biggest issue you hear complaints in regards to TT. I have a non-TH TT, coach is 26 ft, total length of TT is 30.5 ft with a weight distribution and combined sway control (Reese Dual-Cam). TT is 7500 lbs dry and has a GVWR of 9500 lbs so with my Grizz in the back, a 1 ton is really the right truck. I spent the time adjusting the WDH but inadequate trailer loading can also cause issues. I know my trailer and its road manners and do not have any towing issues with it. Load it nose heavy.

Toy Hauler - gas smell possibility inside. Longer, heavier, possibility for bad loading balance with toys in the rear. Quad transport to staging area?

Slide-in - can be small and not enough comforts. 3 slide-out slide-ins can be really heavy and you will need a 1 ton and possibly a DRW for the payload. However, you can easily pull a separate "toy" trailer behind with a slide-in.

Class A/B/C - once set-up, how do you get around? Do you tear down camp to go somewhere? Do you do a toad? How would you move your quad to a staging area? Could you even bring a quad with you?

I like my current TT and can tow it with my Grizz in the back. What if I get a SxS? I could buy a Diamondback and have two quads or a SxS with my longbed and still tow my TT. I am still considering when my kids fly the coup, to sell our TT and buy a very nice 4 season slide-in and use my small flatbed trailer for quads, SxS, etc.

There just seem to be problems with each set-up. Find what kind of trailer you can live with best and understand it's limitations. also, many say that once you know the kind of trailer you want, make sure and find a floorplan you can live with and then start looking for that same floor plan in multiple builders to settle on one.

liquid1, Kenny G and Hammer like this.
  13. Hammer

Hammer Moderator
    Staff Member

Great info Red Rocket!

RedRocket likes this.
  14. blackbirdxp1k

blackbirdxp1k Site Supporter

Great info so far. I personally would use weight distributing hitch with your one ton even seeing you haul your quads on the bed. I've towed with 3/4 ton without the hitch and would not do it again. I had the grizzly in the box of the truck, and the camper was 24-26' I can't remember. Her dad doesnt have the camper anymore. I'll see if I can find picture I have though.

Gaderider13 and RedRocket like this.
  15. Gaderider13

Gaderider13 Member

MIKE_D and blackbirdxp1k like this.
  16. Timmi

Timmi Site Supporter

17. ponti1

ponti1 Site Supporter

How does the weight distribution hitch work, and how does one choose the right setup? With my camper/hauler, the F150 is really pushed at or even beyond its limits. I could REALLY benefit from something, since I have been considering upgrade to 3/4-ton or 1-ton truck as my only known alternative.

[​IMG]

18. Hammer

Hammer Moderator
    Staff Member

A weight distribution hitch uses torsion bars mounted on the receiver and the trailer tongue to force the weight further forward on the truck frame. They are rated based on the expected tongue weight. You can get a decent one for under $200

ponti1 likes this.
  19. Gaderider13

Gaderider13 Member

Yea id definitly recommend a WDH with sway control. Depends on how much you want to spend, can get them anywhere from $200 up to $600. Obviously the pricer ones have nicer features. With the WDH like Jack said pushes the tongue weight further up the truck and causes less squat.

Well its officially mine as of middle last week! Picking it up on Friday. Got them to throw in a Reese WDH with sway control with the cost. Couldnt be happier! Its a 2015 Jayco Jayflight 28RBDS. Once its in my possession i will be sure to post up more pictures.

[​IMG]Untitled by Nick Wierzbicki, on Flickr

gator, liquid1, ponti1 and 2 others like this.
  20. ponti1

ponti1 Site Supporter

Thanks for the advice! How do I know what features in a WDH are important?

AWESOME looking new camper, Nick! Boy, I would love to spend a trip in one that nice!