Welcome to the Rocks and Ruts Off-Road Powersports Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

1. Welcome Guest to the Rocks and Ruts Off-Road Powersports Community Forums. Be sure to register. It's quick and 100% free.

Travel trailer/toy haulers?

Discussion in 'Members Rigs' started by Gaderider13, Apr 27, 2015.

1. ponti1

ponti1 Site Supporter

Mine is basically a 30' lowboy with a 16' popup on the back. Just a factory offering rather than a DIY. Does great for me, but the hauling has been in question

2. Hammer

Hammer Moderator
    Staff Member

It has alot to do with your tongue weight and how much you use it. I bought a cheaper one because I only use it maybe twice a month and we never go more than about 50 miles from home.
    The torsion bars are rated by the tongue weight. My camper weighs@ 7000 lbs loaded. Tongue weight (generally) is @ 10% of the total weight. So my bars are rated at 700 lbs

ponti1 likes this.
  3. ponti1

ponti1 Site Supporter

My camper is just at 7000lb without quads or any gear. I then put two quads on the flatbed, two kid quads in the bed of the truck, and several hundred pounds of stuff in the collapsed camper for transporting.

If I had to guess, I think I am looking at 9000-10500 total weight including the bed. Kid quads excluded, I'd save the bed weight I guess.

EDIT: Did some more reading while trying to calculate weights. Updated weight estimates above based on what I have read.

Last edited: May 13, 2015
  4. Hammer

Hammer Moderator
    Staff Member

I thought you had a pop up with a trailer deck on it?

5. ponti1

ponti1 Site Supporter

Yep! It is a popup with a deck, but way reinforced. Check my pic above...It is no joke in terms of weight.

6. liquid1

liquid1 Member

Dang nick, That's one of the trickiest stock RV setups I have seen.. Super nice... You don't play around !! :08:
    Ponti That's a nice setup too.

Gaderider13 likes this.
  7. RedRocket

RedRocket Site Supporter

Andy,

Next time you are loaded up for camping, with quads, you should weigh your trailer and then you would know for sure. You can even weigh the trailer, then weigh the hitch, leaving the wheels off the scale. Always good to know what accurate weights you are at. From those weights, and as mentioned, you can determine what weight bars you'll need for a WDH.

I too highly recommend WDH. Chances are you are overloaded on your hitch alone as there will be weight ratings on the truck hitch, with WHD and without WDH. Also as mentioned, the sag you have will be very much helped with WDH. It will shift that weight forward on your truck, helping to remove the exaggerated rear end sag... but the important part being the front is lowered putting the steering wheels back more in control.

I use a Reese Dual-Cam WDH with my 9500 lbs travel trailer and 1 ton SRW truck. I also will have my 700 lbs Grizz in the truck bed at times. Tows extremely nice. Yes, 1 ton versus 1/2 ton is a big difference but you would benefit nicely with added WDH.

ponti1 likes this.
  8. Gaderider13

Gaderider13 Member

Picked it up last night! Really smooth, had a nice experience at the dealer. Went over everything on the camper. Easy setup and everything. Couldnt be happier. Now I cant wait to get to use it! haha. Setup the hitch on the truck. Before the bars were installed onto the hitch, the truck sagged 4-5". After installing the bars, the truck sagged maybe an inch at most lol. Im a believer in WDH now. Was very smooth heading home, could barely tell the trailer was behind me. Backing up will take some getting used to, but its not bad overall. Alot easier than the 10' landscape trailer that jack knifes the instant you turn the wheels lol. Heres a few pics.

[​IMG]Untitled by Nick Wierzbicki, on Flickr

JHFWIC, Butch450, ponti1 and 2 others like this.
  9. Hammer

Hammer Moderator
    Staff Member

Very nice, Nick! You will love it

Gaderider13 likes this.
  10. Timmi

Timmi Site Supporter

nice setup! that's the truth about backing a 10 ft trailer with a 19 ft truck, I have a terrible time with mine

Gaderider13 likes this.
  11. liquid1

liquid1 Member

Very nice setup, your ready to go any where.

Gaderider13 likes this.
  12. KEETER

KEETER Member

Nice trailer now check out all your plumbing and fill the holding tank check for leaks such as loose connection and run a little water thru everything. After doing this clean and check your strainer on all faucets for residue and plastic residue from installation, easier to do now than in the dark on camping trip. Familiarize yourself with as much as you can before going camping even practice setting up as it will make you look like a pro on your first trip.To make it easier it's a good idea to make a check list to go by when setting up, such as leveling camper, hooking up power, water, gas, sewer than TV satellite dish. That's right the important stuff first! Also the right type hocky tickets, orange scent sewer packs for holding tank etc. Anything to make it easier to set up and pack back getting it ready to travel.

liquid1, Gaderider13 and gator like this.
  13. Timmi

Timmi Site Supporter

hocky tickets?

14. RedRocket

RedRocket Site Supporter

Sweet trailer Nick!!! I'm sure you are overly excited to get it on the road and use it.

Getting prepped to go on our family vacation in two weeks. We are headed to the Grand Canyon, Durango and Ouray, will be gone for two weeks. Not a OHV trip though :-(

Since my trailer is a 2007, I'm doing a few more mods/updates to it before leaving. Replacing the awning material will be the biggest job. Our is a manual awning. The top where the material is always exposed is starting to crack. Surprisingly, the replacement awning material was reasonable at about $160 shipped for a 18 foot length. I just need to do the replacement which doesn't look overly complicated.

Also replacing the cheap shower curtain with an accordion style shower door. No room to add a proper modern style "glass" shower door to it but I hate when shower curtains rub up against while showering... so that shower curtain is out! Replacing the cheap shower head with a Oxygenics shower head for slightly reduced water consumption and better water pressure to keep the wife happy. She wants me to replace the water heater with one of the new tankless styles but I fear that will use too much water while boondocking. So, new shower head first.

Recently had to replace my Winegard Sensar antenna as the front plastic was destroyed. I'm lucky that didn't completely detach while traveling to Moab. I noticed something wasn't quite right so got the ladder out and found it was about to completely release... removed it for the trip. That got replaced with a King antenna. Also added a stainless steel bottle cap remover to the outside of the TT near the entrance door. That bottle cap remover should have been added years ago!

Gaderider13 likes this.
  15. Butch450

Butch450 Administrator
    Staff Member

The most important accessory of course lol :alc:

Nick, Very nice setup. Congrats and best of luck with it. I'll have to come by and check it out once I am moving about better.

Gaderider13 likes this.
  16. KEETER

KEETER Member

Timmi Hockey ticket / toilet paper u need bio degradeable so it melts in water and dissolves better in a enclosed system.

liquid1, Gaderider13 and Timmi like this.
  17. Gaderider13

Gaderider13 Member

Thanks for all the kind words! Very happy with it! Thanks for the tips also, I know itll take some getting used to be itll become second nature eventually. Hoping next weekend will be the maiden voyage. Past two weekends have been super busy. Already thinking of little things here and there i can do to make things more convenient. Ahh of course mods have to happen lol...

liquid1 likes this.
  18. JHFWIC

JHFWIC Site Supporter

That's a sweet unit Nick, my advice to you is don't get so dam busy it just sits in the driveway! ( I live 2 hours from Moab and I haven't had my 5th wheel there in 2 years!:41:):mybosssucks:

19. JHFWIC

JHFWIC Site Supporter

A few things you might consider, relamp all of the lights with LED lamps, if you don't have 2 battery's I would get another. a solar system works great to extend your stay in the woods it also works great to keep the battery's up year round. a DC inverter can be handy. and you thought modding a ATV was pricey!
    The LED lamps will save you a ton of battery power, I got a set of 24 for 80.00 at Amazon.

Gaderider13 likes this.
  20. RedRocket

RedRocket Site Supporter

I 2nd the use of LEDs for lighting inside and porch light of the RV. I did this a few years ago and the main reason I did it was for the heat reduction. Those incandescent bulbs generate a lot of heat and it is very noticeable in a small area. Since Nick's TT is brand new, it may already have come with LED lighting. As far as replacing the tail and marker lights with LEDs, I wouldn't spend the money on that.

I am also looking into Solar charging. On Amazon, there are decent 400W kits made by Renogy which I may move on at some point. Problem is, to make it worth while --> (4) 6V batteries, an upgraded Solar charge controller and I would have to replace my distribution with a much better and more expensive distribution/DC Inverter. It is something I am looking to do but the cost associated will be in the range of $1500+ to do it right.

Also got another mod waiting to be installed... replacing the door window with an EDWIN window this weekend. http://easyrvwindows.com/rv-entry-door.html

I will be busy this weekend, rain, rain stay away...