Welcome to the Rocks and Ruts Off-Road Powersports Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

1. Welcome Guest to the Rocks and Ruts Off-Road Powersports Community Forums. Be sure to register. It's quick and 100% free.

Travel trailer/toy haulers?

Discussion in 'Members Rigs' started by Gaderider13, Apr 27, 2015.

1. Gaderider13

Gaderider13 Member

Thanks for the tips!

As mentioned, for 2015 was a new thing theres leds throughout the camper. Has strip LED lighting under the awning too. Been looking into solar charging, maybe in the near future. Want to pick up a pair of honda EU2000s for the camper though, one for running most stuff and hook up a second in parallel for running the 13.5k btu air conditioner. Going with the 2 smaller units for ease of transport (only 45lbs each instead of a 140lb+ bigger unit) and for the price, two eu2000s is cheaper than one eu3000, and has more output.

2. Butch450

Butch450 Administrator
    Staff Member

The honda's are good units. I have the 3000 and it runs great, really quiet in eco mode and seems to sip fuel. But like you said it is a bit heavy to drag around and pretty pricey for a 3000.

liquid1 likes this.
  3. liquid1

liquid1 Member

I work on the eu/eb 3000 gensets alot there good units as long as you keep fresh gas in them, this new ethanol crap turns the carbs into white powder. Well it atacks all carbs, the lawn mower shops are full of generators and small engines. Also keep them out of the rain the stators will rust up fast..

Attached Files:

gator, Gaderider13 and Hammer like this.
  4. Hammer

Hammer Moderator
    Staff Member

Great info, James!

liquid1 likes this.
  5. Gaderider13

Gaderider13 Member

The hondas are pretty impressive, ive heard nothing but good. Lauras brother also works at a honda dealer, can pick up the eu2000s for $900OTD tax and all, and the eu3000 he can get for $2200. A decent price difference. Only downfall being that theres 2 engines to deal with, but being hondas dont think thatll be an issue lol. The second unit will also mainly be for running the AC, as that has a startup draw is 2000+ watts. Everything else is a bit smaller draw wise.

Thanks for the tip! Ill be sure to run it out and use startron (good idea?!) Been using startron in the other power equipment with great results. Oh they will always be covered up when in storage, theyre so small and light i can just put them in the basement lol. Or when im away from the camper in the bed of the truck under the bedcover

liquid1 likes this.
  6. MIKE_D

MIKE_D Member

I have mistreated and abused a $250 Champion 3500/4000 for three years now. Nice and quiet. Automotive style muffler. 63db. Runs my entire TH, 15K A/C 3way oven etc. with ease. 4 gallons last about 14hrs. Only oil change was after break in. Always use StarTron. I would buy another one in a heartbeat if this one craps out tomorrow.

Gaderider13 and liquid1 like this.
  7. liquid1

liquid1 Member

Mike, I have always wondered about the Champion. That's impressive. yea the startron is good stuff, I have swapped all my small engines, Lawn mower,atv,dirt bike chain saw,weed eater ect over to 93 non ethonal gas from shell for right now till the price skyrockets again. When I run it in my F150 truck its like adding a Turbo .. Amazing how were getting screwed with this Corrosive Corn ethanol watered down gas. One thing is clear the small engine shops are booming so much I have really taught about opening something up. Its crazy ..

8. Gaderider13

Gaderider13 Member

Taking a long hard look at the champion generator you mentioned... since i wont be dry camping as much as with hookups, (mostly SSRT) it may be a worthy investment with an extra $1500 in my pocket. Even at SSRT, the atvs ripping around in the parkinglot will be louder lol.

Last weekend took the travel trailer out for its maiden voyage. Everything went VERY smooth. Found out i needed a longer sewer hose, but being local i was only 10 minutes from a walmart where i picked up a 20' with adaptors and plugs for $30. Love the camper. Tons of room, very comfortable. The shower is amazing lol. The biggest camper shower ive been in. Glad we went with the unit we did. Enough room in the living space, the bedroom is nice sized with the queen bed. Tons of storage. The hardest part of the entire weekend was getting the camper backed into its spot. The campground we went to is Kymers in Branchville. Its very tight... reminded me of some of the atv trails ive been down lol. Extremely narrow, very hilly with tight corners and speedbumps, with unmaintained roads. But once we got it into the site it was smooth sailing. After being able to back up and pull the camper through that campground, it made parking it at my girlfriend's house a cakewalk lol. Backed it down the street and down into the spot the first try. Very proud of myself for the first time really towing anything that big. Heres a few pics.

[​IMG]Untitled by Nick Wierzbicki, on Flickr

Kenny G, Butch450, gator and 2 others like this.
  9. liquid1

liquid1 Member

Nick , You just bought my retirement getaway setup.. When the kids are gone I'm were me and my wife are talking about selling the House and Getting either a RV or Truck/Suv Camper setup and hit the roads wide open if I live long enough.
    What is the total weight of this style camper. Our new SUV is rated 9,000lbs towing. I think 7,000lbs would be close to max behind the SUV . A camper might be our next investment. And maybe a diesel truck.. Getting old sucks I need to win the Lottery fast. Nice photos and setup.. Looks like a lot of fun.

10. Hammer

Hammer Moderator
    Staff Member

looks great, Nick! I really like the LED outdoor lighting and the bumper mount grill. it'll definitely be more comfortable camping at SSRT

MIKE_D likes this.
  11. Gaderider13

Gaderider13 Member

Thanks! I couldnt be any happier right now lol. The weight on this camper is 6500 dry, and fully loaded GVW is 9500lbs with full fresh water tank and everything else. Its labeled as 1/2 ton towable, but its close to the limits fully loaded.
    Thanks Jack! Cant wait to hit up SSRT now, hopefully soon! Maybe get another group ride going too!

Hammer likes this.
  12. Butch450

Butch450 Administrator
    Staff Member

Nick you have one hell of a set up now. Congrats.

Gaderider13 likes this.
  13. Gaderider13

Gaderider13 Member

Thanks Butch! Need to get back out to SSRT as soon as youre good enough to ride again!

14. Gaderider13

Gaderider13 Member

Picked this puppy up over the weekend. Gander mountain was having a sale, $299 (orignally $399 apparently). For that price i couldnt pass up, came to $320 out the door.

Got it home, filled it up with oil and put some fuel in it. To my surprise, it started on the VERY FIRST PULL brand new out of the box. Couldnt believe it lol. Read lots of good reviews online, and for $320 cant beat the price. It isnt that loud. We only plan on dry camping when we're atving really, which an atv is louder than this unit. Couldnt be happier.

liquid1 and MIKE_D like this.
  15. JHFWIC

JHFWIC Site Supporter

Did it come with a wheel set?

16. Gaderider13

Gaderider13 Member

It didnt, but if it did i dont think it would fit under my bedcover. Its not too heavy, 100 lbs, i can move it by myself. Any heavier and i wouldnt be too happy lol.

17. MIKE_D

MIKE_D Member

Congrats on the purchase. You will be pleased with the unit I'm sure!

Gaderider13 likes this.
  18. Gaderider13

Gaderider13 Member

Thanks! Heck if it keeps up the easy starts and lasts a few years ill be plenty happy! Money well spent. Little easier swallowing a $300 total than $1800 lol.

19. liquid1

liquid1 Member

Nice looking genset. I need to look into one. For what some of the hondas go for you can get a miller welder genset combo.

20. Gaderider13

Gaderider13 Member

Right?? i think the smallest bobcat miller is in the $3k range lol.