Welcome to the Rocks and Ruts Off-Road Powersports Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

1. Welcome Guest to the Rocks and Ruts Off-Road Powersports Community Forums. Be sure to register. It's quick and 100% free.

UTV Inc RZR Sealed Intake System Install/1st Impressions

Discussion in 'Project RZR Installation Articles' started by bluesmanjesse, Aug 15, 2012.

1. bluesmanjesse

bluesmanjesse Moderator
    Staff Member

UTV Inc. RZR 800 Sealed Intake System
    Install/1st Impressions

Shortly after buying my '08 Polaris RZR I did some research on common problems with the vehicle. I found many people complaining with dust getting through the factory airbox and filter and actually entering the throttle body and the top end of the motor. Some of them are so bad that many have had to rebuild their engines. I figured the old saying "an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure" really applied to this situation so I went hunting for a solution to this problem. After some research I settled on the unit from UTV Inc, there are a few similar airboxes on the market but this unit seemed to be regarded as one of the best available currently. Having made a sizable investment in the RZR I figured protecting the heart of the beast was well worth some more coin. So after a call to UTV Inc on Tuesday they rushed me out an airbox so I could have it Thursday and get it installed for my ride that weekend, you can't ask for better service than that. So FedEx left a relatively small box on my porch and when I opened it this is what I found inside.

image_1.jpg

The unit is very well made and seems like it will be very rugged and reliable for years to come.

image_2.jpg

First I recommend removing the bed for easy access to all the parts you'll be working on, I think the install could be done without removing the bed but it would take at least twice as long. Removing the bed is very easy. There are 12 bolts/screws in total holding the bed on. There are for bolts at the front of the bed inside the cab that require a T25 Torx driver,and four T25 screws on the lower rear of the bed around where the exhaust pipe sticks out, and four bolts that require a 13mm socket in the middle of the bed. There also a few plastic rivets where the fenders meet the bed that need to be removed. Then you just unplug your tail lights and set the bed aside. This is what you will see, the thing that looks like a cheap office trash can that I've circled in red is the factory airbox, it removes with two bolts on the top left side of the frame, before loosening the bolts remove the MAF sensor and the vent tube from the factory airbox.

image_3.jpg

The mounting bracket for the UTV Inc airbox utilizes two longer bolts on the gearbox...

image_4.jpg

and two 1/4'-20 button head bolts on the gearbox brace that I have highlighted with the red arrows....

image_5.jpg

I highlighted these because they can pose a problem, UTV Inc cautions not to put the supplied washers under the bolt head, they are to be placed on the back side of the bolt with the nut. If you put the washers under the bolt head the bolts will interfere with the shift linkage and prevent the RZR from shifting easily or possibly at all. I found that even with the washers placed on the back side that my shift arm still hit the bolt heads. Now absoloutly DO NOT try to bend the shift arm outwards to gain the 1/16" clearance needed for the bolt heads! The shifter arm is made of cast metal and it will snap in half very easily, don't ask me how I know this just trust me. I found that in my case I had to take my die grinder and grind the bolt heads down about a 1/16" to allow the shifter arm to move clear of the bolt heads.
    Once you have the bracket in place attach the 3" to 2" rubber adapter boot to the airbox and slide it into place ensuring a good connection on the throttle body then tighten the clamp on the throttle body first,followed by the two large clamps that hold the airbox in place.
    image_6.jpg

Then you can reconnect the vent hose and the MAF sensor to the new UTV Inc. airbox.

image_7.jpg

Then lastly you need to remove the factory "snorkle" box and use a dremel tool or similar tool to slightly enlarge the hole in the bottom to accomodate the new hose supplied with the airbox.

The UTV Inc airbox uses a very high quality Donaldson filter that is widely available should you need a replacement filter. When installed the airbox should look like this.
    image_8.jpg
    The black knob that holds the lid on has a nylock nut in it so it will not vibrate loose so no worries there. The only problem I had with the install was the issue with the shift cable arm hitting the button head bolts but this was easily fixed with a little grinding on the bolt heads. I imagine some machines may not have this issue at all, it is a very close fit. I am confident after closely inspecting the airbox that I no longer have to worry about dust or water getting into my airbox and wrecking the engine. The money spent on the airbox is well worth the piece of mind to me.

I road three days in extremely dusty conditions and through some deep water after installing the airbox and then checked the throttle body for evidence of dust intrusion. I found the throttle body to be clean and dry and free of dust residue. This was not the case with the stock airbox, I did indeed have some dust getting through with the stock airbox even with an outerwear over the stock air filter, luckily not enough to cause damage to the engine yet but over time it very well could have lead to engine problems. I will follow up after I log some more miles with the UTV Inc airbox but my initial impression is that this unit will provide years of worry free service on my RZR. If you are interested in the UTV Inc airbox you will have to call them because currently they don't offer it on their website. If anyone has any other questions about the airbox or the install just ask, I will do my best to answer them.

I will do a follow up after I've logged some real miles with the air box installed but initial impressions are good!

ponti1 likes this.
  2. PettyHarbourBirm

PettyHarbourBirm New Member

great idea and great info

3. Woodbooger

Woodbooger Site Supporter

And the Mod bug begins...

4. RTxmr800

RTxmr800 Member

AWESOME write up blue! The only thing is for some reason the pics are very small and it is hard to see what is really going on in the pics...

5. bluesmanjesse

bluesmanjesse Moderator
    Staff Member

The pics should be clickable, if not please let me know.

6. RTxmr800

RTxmr800 Member

they are but even when i click on them they are really small

7. bluesmanjesse

bluesmanjesse Moderator
    Staff Member

OK I just made the pics large for now so everyone can see them, I may try to shrink them a bit though so the page will load more quickly.

8. Hammer

Hammer Moderator
    Staff Member

looks like a great upgrade for RZR owners, and a great write up on the install!

9. Butch450

Butch450 Administrator
    Staff Member

Good job on your 1st tech write up Jesse :PDT_Armataz_01_37:

Can't wait to see the full review.

10. KEETER

KEETER Member

Cool good review Jesse, let me know how it holds up. Did you ever use a little bit of grease when you used the stock
    filter as this helped catch the dust trying to get in around the base of the oem stuff. What kind of seal did you have
    on the new lid from UTV and when you can show a pic of the new filter also as I would like to see it. I presume it is a
    cleanable or reusable filter like a K&N or what?

11. bluesmanjesse

bluesmanjesse Moderator
    Staff Member

I'll take some pics of the interior Keeter, it's a tube shaped Filter like the ones used in heavy equipment.

12. RTxmr800

RTxmr800 Member

I see big pics now ! Idk if you did something or if my comp started acting right... But it looks good blue !

13. bluesmanjesse

bluesmanjesse Moderator
    Staff Member

Keeter here is the new filter set up....

[​IMG]

The lid has a rubber seal inside of a channel that fits very tight and snug on the wall thickness of the can...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The bottom of the filter also has a nice rubber seal to keep dirt from going in under the filter....

[​IMG]

14. bluesmanjesse

bluesmanjesse Moderator
    Staff Member

I just want to add one small correction, I now see the system on their website it is oficially called the UTV INC POLARIS RZR RZR-4 800 SEALED INTAKE SYSTEM. I was browsing their website on my Iphone when I ordered it and I didn't see it on the mobile browser but I was able to find it on their site from my home computer.

15. liquid1

liquid1 Member

Jesse. Looking good i would use some marine grease around the o ring seal. Just a little. The donaldson filter looks to be paper if it were me i would stretch a peice of panty hose across the filter and forget about it. A light film of k& n oil on panty hose will do wonders. Donaldson filters are well built for heavy machinery. Unless there on a dusty dozer or combine they want see abuse like you will give them..just me thinking..lol..good job it looks like a solid setup..the filter looks just like the 10 micron hydraulic filters i useall the time on $200,000 machines..

16. MTGRIZZ700

MTGRIZZ700 Member

Nice air box only 1 problem i c or i should say didnt c lol Where r the snorkels hahahaha jk

17. gwrrzr800

gwrrzr800 Member

Great write up Jesse, only thing I have done to mine is put a Uni filter on with an outer wear on it, and also snorkled it, got the instructions for snorkling it off of rzrforums.net and it worked out pretty good. I did put some good thick grease around the oring on the factory lid, definately like this set up!

18. KEETER

KEETER Member

Thanks for the pic's Jesse, yea that filter looks like the Kobota filter systems. Gary had the Bobcat filter system on his and it also worked great or better than the OEM systems. Just got thru replacing the belt on mine as I let my daughter and grandson ride it up in WV couple weeks ago and instead of using low range on steep hills she kept running it in high range and lugging it a lot especially going slow so I reckon the belt heated up and seperated going back up the staircase. Hell it had over 3K on it so I cant complain especially hauling my big ass and supplies, etc! That thing is starting to take shape and your doing the right thing by doing the mechanical stuff and later on you can start on the bling bling. Waiting to see the rest of things to come.

19. liquid1

liquid1 Member

Dangit you guys are Killing me, Keeter,Jesse I want one of these things bad. I know the fun factor from just test riding the rzr a few months back. Just seems like something is always scarfing at my wallet.
    Jesse, You did good I'm sure yours will be a 1 off when your done..

20. NoisyKawi

NoisyKawi Site Supporter

Just sell some organs and get an xp 900!

Thats a great looking piece of kit and nice review Jesse.