Welcome to the Rocks and Ruts Off-Road Powersports Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

1. Welcome Guest to the Rocks and Ruts Off-Road Powersports Community Forums. Be sure to register. It's quick and 100% free.

UTV Inc RZR Sealed Intake System Install/1st Impressions

Discussion in 'Project RZR Installation Articles' started by bluesmanjesse, Aug 15, 2012.

1. Grizzly77

Grizzly77 Site Supporter

Great write up Jess.
    x2 on marine grease and snorkels.

2. bluesmanjesse

bluesmanjesse Moderator
    Staff Member

The snorkel project will happen sooner or later, I've got so many things I wanna do to the RZR, just not enough free time and money to do it all at once,lol. Snorkels should be pretty cheap though, I read the same thing Greg did over at rzrforum and it seems easy enough to do, I might try to jazz it up a notch when I do mine but I'm gonna ponder the possibilities for a bit first.

3. Gyrene

Gyrene Site Supporter

Great job on the write up Jesse!!!!

4. thegrizz

thegrizz Administrator
    Staff Member

Just to chime in. The problem was never with dirt and dust getting around the air filter area. Yes, grease around the filter intake will help but the number one issue was air entering the intake at the point where the rubber boot connects to the throttle body.

What happens is the engine is mounted on rubber mounts. The air filter is mounted on the top of the frame. The reciprocating mass of the engine moves against the filter which is mounted to the upper bed frame. The move against each other creating leaks in the boot connecting the intake to the filter box.

Many of the aftermarket companies switch the system up and mount the air box to the engine typically via the transmission shift linkage mount. This will then allow the air box to move synchronously with the engine.

I tried several fixes and nothing worked until I went to an aftermarket system. Allegedly snorkeling also helps some as well.

5. bluesmanjesse

bluesmanjesse Moderator
    Staff Member

From things I have have read you are 100% correct Gary but there is also a problem with how the stock air box seals and the design is too restricted which causes a vaccum situation and water and all kinds of crud can be sucked into the stock housing, if the water is muddy water some of the fine particles can make it through and around the base of the filter carried in the water or just as fine particles. Polaris put a bandage on the problem with a redesigned filter but never completely solved it IMHO. The UTV inc setup solves all the issues with the factory setup, the filter issues, swamping/vaccum issues, and the biggest issue of all which you talk about by mounting the air box to the gear case instead of the frame. The idea behind snorkeling is to move the air intake up away from the dust so it is sucking in cleaner air, the dust is especially bad near the factory air inlet if you're running a windshield.

6. Mrnagasaki

Mrnagasaki Site Supporter

this is a great writeup! whats next on the list?

7. Hammer

Hammer Moderator
    Staff Member

That roach was sold 2 years ago

8. Butch450

Butch450 Administrator
    Staff Member

lol, yeah it's just a bit old. Jesse actually made me fix all those damn install articles and reviews the other day. When I created the wordpress home page I moved a few of the reviews over and left everything else in that forum. I honestly forgot about that whole forum since he sold it. When we did the conversion to Xenforo it F'ed up all of the remaining articles because they were done in tables and html lol. I fixed every other thread, article review on the site except for those lol.

Edit: Damn Jesse you busted my balls to fix this and then I scroll down a couple posts and see dead images in a post from you! Go find those images and re upload them to photo bucket... Chop Chop! :098:

Last edited: Aug 10, 2015