Welcome to the Rocks and Ruts Off-Road Powersports Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

1. Welcome Guest to the Rocks and Ruts Off-Road Powersports Community Forums. Be sure to register. It's quick and 100% free.

What have you done for your atv or sxs today?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by blackbirdxp1k, May 25, 2012.

1. blackbirdxp1k

blackbirdxp1k Site Supporter

I liked this thread on another sight and thought would start it here. Post what you have done for your atv or sxs in terms work, tlc, or added accessories. Anything you would like to share basically.

For me I installed a new Rhino axle today that I got from Rage customs. Install went easy, and only tooks around half hour. I will be putting up a review next week sometime after I get some time on it this weekend hopefully :) aslo replacing a bunch of plastic rivet thats broke off or went missing today. I also still need give the grizz some tlc in terms cleaning the radiator best I can, and installing steering stem bearing.

Attached Files:

2. Gunny

Gunny Site Supporter

I gave My Bad Boy a bath today. :headbang: ... Then I had to reinstall the winch rope after I pulled it out to far try'in to get some DA SUV unstuck in a snow drift. :banghead:

Checked the oil, tire pressure, & coolant level in the overflow (changed to Engine Ice & wanting to see if it's siphoning any in or spitt'in any out) ... :s_good:

And I received a Ron Francis Fan Controller setup today too & will be working on installing that "Cool" mod ... :93:

3. blackbirdxp1k

Well came to find out the hard way that the grizzly isn't charging its battery anymore. Went to use the winch, and there I sat dead. Good thing wasn't far from the truck, and that I was only high centered on a log. Also good it was all downhill pushing it back to the truck. at least got little ride in, just didn't get to test the new axle that much. did get to see trails are pretty nice in forest county, as we were on new trails :)

4. Bullet Bill

Bullet Bill Site Supporter

Last week I changed the engine oil and the oil in both front and rear diffs. Switched over to Amsoil for the diffs, Yamalube for the engine. Also gave it a good going over after the trip to H/M eariler this month. Found no issues with the frame or anything like that considering the pounding it took at Rockhouse. Looks like the 2012 is holding up so far, I have right at 500 miles on it now.

5. ponti1

ponti1 Site Supporter

Went to Mines&Meadows for a few hours yesterday to ride a bit. Got stuck in severe thunderstorm with heavy downpour, so a good bit of time was spent hiding in the woods to avoid the lightning. Today, the Grizzly will get a good bath...

[​IMG]

6. NCMudman

NCMudman Member

View attachment 426

Here is my latest time with the Grizz.... the total opposite of what I do most of the time!! Boy it shined right up.. Almost makes me not wanna get it dirty again!! LOL But I know that won't last long!!

Attached Files:

7. Gunny

Gunny Site Supporter

Today I mounted my Ron Francis Fan Controller. Took a small plastic ammo box & routed out all the ribs on the inside. I then drilled some holes for the wires to run thru it to the controller. I then mounted the sending unit, ran the rest of the wires from the battery (I used the hot wire on the winch contactor), the keyed ignition wire, the fan wire to a ligthed rocker switch so I can tell when the fan is on, and the ground.

I then tested it out & set the controller to come at the temp of my choosing ... and I choose 176* F on the temp gauge. The IR Temp gun I had read 156* F on the case where I mounted the sending unit, so all is good.

Finished the install by RTV'in the wire holes in the ammo box & RTV'ing the box to the bike under the front hood.

I then routed out the ribs in the front hood to make room for the box.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. Grumpy

Grumpy Site Supporter

I ordered some shims to do a 1.5mm shim mod to my 700. I want to get a little of that low end grunt back after mounting the 26.5" Pit Bulls! :icon_thumright:

9. sooflyfisher

sooflyfisher Member

does dreaming about my Kodiak thats over 2000 KMs away from me count? lol! I do that pretty much every day lately!

10. Grumpy

Grumpy Site Supporter

Heck yes it counts! [​IMG]

11. Grizzly77

Grizzly77 Site Supporter

Change the brake pads on all 4 corners. The rear ones were in pretty good shape, still. But the front one, that's a different story. Basically I took the plates out.
    :c029: There was nothing on it. At least I didn't mess up the rotors, that would set me back another 100 bucks.
    Got the pads from Bryan (Race Driven), will see how long they will last.

Put the LED bulbs that I got from ebay in the head lights. They are not as bright as the Silverstars Ultra but they use significantly less power. And they look cool :93:.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Sorry for the pic quality.

12. Steelslinger

Steelslinger Site Supporter

Oil and Filter Change, switched to Amsoil and a yamaha filter. Should be good to go now.

Cleaned the old oil grime off the engine with some degreaser and a pressure washer. Also sprayed out the radiator from front and back, should be good and clean now.

Redid all the skid plate bolts with anti-seize, should have done that the first time, oh well.

All ready for the weekend!

13. 04660limited

04660limited Site Supporter

dropped the new piston and the head off at the machinist so he can get started on my bore and go over my valves.

14. blackbirdxp1k

I've never seen these before, I was looking to see if you could get led's like that. I couldn't find them on ebay just now though.

15. sooflyfisher

sooflyfisher Member

Well it wasnt today, but Thursday I changed the oil, put the kodiak back together and installed new tires and wheels. Then took her on a 35KM + ride, broke the left floorboard, tipped her on her right side, and got her real dirty and muddy! lol! Here's a pic with the new wheels and tires mounted.

[​IMG]

Today I washed her checked her out a bit and that was about it. Gotta head into town tomorrow where I will pick up some longer bolts and washers to fix the floorboard.

16. Hammer

Hammer Moderator
    Staff Member

wheels look awesome sooflyfisher!

this week i adjusted the valves, did an oil change and cleaned the air filter on the 550. this was the first time i adjusted the valves (2000 miles) and all were perfect. my son has been riding it too his girlfriends house, through a hayfield. (i call it the "split-tail" trail, LOL), the skids and the air filter were absolutely full of hay seed, what a mess!

17. Gunny

Gunny Site Supporter

:a102: ... OMH Hammer .... you got a kid old enough to be dat'in now ?? ........... JEEZ !! ........ where did the time go !!?? :smiley_confused1:

18. Hammer

Hammer Moderator
    Staff Member

tell me about it....grrrr! i'm not old enough for kids this old! but, he got his driving permit this year, and by that age we were all sniffin' around silky unmentionables :yay2: :2345:

19. ole brute

ole brute Site Supporter

The brute got all oils changed, Waxed, detailed, Went over most everything, All is good.

20. Mitch650i

Mitch650i Member

Today I filled the overflow tank of coolant because the last trip to Maine i took 2 weeks ago i was overheating due to me not cleaning my radiator... I was over heating so long to get back to the cabin that the coolant started to boil and it basically just turned into vapor there was no more left. But now the Brute can cool herself again and is running like a charm.

About 5 days ago after the trip my CV joints started to make a very loud (medal to medal) sort of noise. It was almost like they are skipping but they aren't. I have herd that it could be that they need grease. Is this true? or are they just telling me they are going to break? Anybody who could help would be appreciated