Welcome to the Rocks and Ruts Off-Road Powersports Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

1. Welcome Guest to the Rocks and Ruts Off-Road Powersports Community Forums. Be sure to register. It's quick and 100% free.

Xtreme Products 2 inch Lift Kit Installation Guide

Discussion in 'Technical Articles' started by Butch450, May 18, 2012.

1. Butch450

Butch450 Administrator
    Staff Member

Xtreme Products 2" Lift Kit Install

I received my 2" lift kit from Xtreme Products Xtreme Products the Leader in ATV Suspension on Friday and had a few hours last night to install it and take some pics. Installation was fairly simple with the exception of compressing the 2 front shocks. Install time for 1 person shouldn't take more than a couple hours. This write up will walk you through the basic procedure of installation on a Grizzly 450.

I will post up before and after measurements at the end of this article. Keep in mind I have Elka shocks so your measurements may be different.

Tools required for lift kit = 17mm wrench or socket, 15mm wrench or socket, spring compressor or pry bar.
    Tools required for everything else listed in this article = 14mm wrench or socket (old shock bolts), 10mm socket, 3/4 " wrench and 19mm wrench (ASR tie rod ends) 17mm socket for lug nuts, 6 pack of your favorite beer and 6 Marlboro Red cigarettes (if you drink and smoke)

Let's get started....

Upon opening the box you will see your parts, installation instructions and some packing paper to protect the parts during transit.

Lift Kit Box

[​IMG]

Inside Box

[​IMG]

Each bracket was numbered and there were 2 bags of parts labeled F and R (front and rear)

Parts

[​IMG]

First thing you need to do is loosen up your lug nuts on your front wheels. There was no need to remove the rear wheels to install the rear brackets. Once you have them loose, lift your quad and remove front wheels. I was using an ATV lift so I didn't need to chock the rear wheels. If your just jacking up the front end be sure to chock the rear wheels.

450 Jacked Up and Wheels Removed

[​IMG]

You should set your shocks to their softest/lowest preload. I was able to install the lift without removing my hood or front plastics. I did however pull my black side plastics, tank plastic and then I removed my 4 fuel tank bolts and slid my gas tank back an inch. The reason I did this was in order to get the bolt through the right side rear Xmember it made it easier.

The instructions say to start with the right side so I did. Remove your upper bolt and nut from the shock.

Upper Mount Location

[​IMG]

If your shock is tight and won't drop out of your way then loosen the rear bolt a little and pull your shock down and out of the way.

Upper Mount Shock Removed

[​IMG]

Shock Dropped

[​IMG]

Once you have done this on the right side go ahead and do the same for the left side.

Both Shocks Dropped

[​IMG]

The next step is to install the long front bracket. I have been told by a few members this can be tricky and even the instructions say it will be snug but mine slid right through on a 45 degree angle with no problem. The bracket goes towards the back of the x-member.

Long Bracket in Place

[​IMG]

Next on the right side place one of the provided sleeves in between the x-member and install the provided bolt from the rear though the hole in the x-member, upper hole on bracket, sleeve and out the other end of the x-member. Then add the supplied washer/spacer and the short bracket and nut. Leave loose!!! The instructions don't list where the washer/spacer goes but a call to GRIZZLY77 confirmed my thought on it.

Bracket Complete

[​IMG]

Now your ready to do the left side. Everything is the same except the bolt needs to be installed from front to rear.

Next is where I ran into a glitch. I don't have a spring compressor and my buddy who has one was down the shore so I decided to use a pry bar. I didn't see any way to use a pry bar without damaging the top part or reservoir on the shocks so I decided to remove my rear bolt completely. I also disconnected my tie rod ends at the spindles to allow my suspension to drop as much as possible. I then installed the the top of the shock to the lift (leaving bolts loose) using the provide bolt and nut and used a block laying across my upper a arm and a pry bar. I pryed the shock from the bottom up till I was able to slide the bolt back through the lower mount and shock. I don't have pictures of doing this since I was using both hands. Not sure it was a good way to do it or not but I didn't want to damage my reservoirs. Once I had both shocks installed I tightened everything up and moved to the rear.

Front Shocks Installed

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The rear was real easy. Remove your upper bolt/nut and slide your shocks out of the way. Take your two brackets place over your duct on the outside of the frame. Install the 2 sleeves in between the x-member where your shocks were mounted, insert the 2 bolts and nuts, once again leave loose.

Shocks Removed and Brackets Installed

[​IMG]

For some reason I didn't have to compress the rear shocks as much as the fronts so using both hands (once again hard to take pics with no hands) I managed to push them down enough to start a bolt through. On the rears they provide 4 washer/spacers, you install one on each side between your shock hole and the insides of the new brackets. Once you have the shocks back in install the nuts and tighten everything up.

Rear Shock Installed

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

At this point I went around and made sure everything was tight. They don't list torque specs so I just made sure everything was as tight as possible. They do list to recheck and tighten after 80 miles. Also I had to reconnect my tie rods. The lift brought my tires inward so I needed to shorten the length of the tie rods by inserting more of the threads into the ends. Also at this point I figured I might as well do my wheel alignment. Once that was done I put my wheels back on and dropped her down.

Before.....

So here are the numbers along with a few pics from before adding the lift.

Unloaded = 10" of ground clearance at rear to skid, 9 - 3/4" ground clearance at front to skid, 12" ground clearance to the bottom edge at center of floorboards

Loaded = 9" of ground clearance front and rear, 11-1/2" ground clearance to bottom edge at center of floorboards

Wheel track width = 48-1/2" rear, 46-1/2" front

Before Pics

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

After....

And here are the numbers after the lift kit was installed with pics.

Unloaded = 11-1/2" ground clearance at rear to skid, 11" ground clearance at front to skid, 13-1/2" ground clearance to bottom edge at center of floorboards.

Loaded = 10-1/2" ground clearance front and rear, 13" ground clearance to bottom edge at center of floorboards.

Wheel Track Width = 47" rear, 45" front

After Pics....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

So as it sits now I gained 1-1/2" in ground clearance and lost the same distance in track width. I am sure it will settle and drop a bit after riding some though. My only concern is the angle of the rear axles, they look pretty severe....So I end this write up with a question for all members with lifts = If I go to a larger diameter tire will it decrease the angle of the axles? Right now the tires I have on are 26" (measure 25-1/4" with 4#s) If yes what size tires would you suggest. Right now my rear tires still stick out past my overfenders by around 1-1/2" so I am not too worried about increasing track width yet.

Hope this helps some members out. I wish I had a 2nd pair of hands for some of it so I could have gotten more pics but unfortunately everyone is away for the holiday weekend. I will update this post after a few rides if things change and to offer up my first impressions of it on the trails. I will also post a review hopefully in the next 3 weeks after getting some time on it at SSRT. I really like the way the 450 looks with the lift, more like I remember it sitting stock....almost, it's sitting just a little taller I would say

Here's a few extra pics I took!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]